CPU Decision help

Go to solution Solved by connorpiper,

What you get from DDR4 is not worth the upgrade. Unless you are going to 5960X

I'm building a new computer and I am not sure what to look for in a CPU, so I noobishly selected two and i'm not even sure if either are the right choice. This is the compare page. I have the 3930k right now. I want the best of the best from intel in my new rig and DDR4 support. Are these good choices or do you have other suggestions?

Why would you 'upgrade' from a 3930k?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

go for the 5930k.

3930k dosnt have ddr4

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Do you honestly need a better cpu? I can't really imagine going for a 5930k or 6700k would improve performance a whole lot..

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

go for the 5930k.

3930k dosnt have ddr4

He already has 3930k, and he is looking to upgrade.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

I'm building a new computer and I am not sure what to look for in a CPU, so I noobishly selected two and i'm not even sure if either are the right choice. This is the compare page. I have the 3930k right now. I want the best of the best from intel in my new rig and DDR4 support. Are these good choices or do you have other suggestions?

Best of the best leaves you only with the 5960X. Good CPU if you use it for more than gaming. Cheers.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Why do you even want a new cpu ? I would glady take your 3930k ;) ahah but really your 3930k should be doing fine! I would say a 5820k, most people will say go for a 4790k or even a 6700k but legit the prices of that 6700k and 5820k are the same right now where I live. Keep in mind that a 5820k is a 6 core CPU 

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

If you want to upgrade I would suggest a 5920K over a 6700K right now. Due to the skylake shortage both setups are roughly equivalent in price.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Why do you even want a new cpu ? I would glady take your 3930k ;) ahah but really your 3930k should be doing fine! I would say a 5820k, most people will say go for a 4790k or even a 6700k but legit the prices of that 6700k and 5820k are the same right now where I live. Keep in mind that a 5820k is a 6 core CPU 

Haha I know right! I just want to switch to DDR4 now and the 3930k doesn't support it. Are you saying I would get similar performance with the 5820k? Or better? Aso I was under the impression the 5930k would be better, is this not the case?

Best of the best leaves you only with the 5960X. Good CPU if you use it for more than gaming. Cheers.

Do the extra cores make up for the lower clock speed?

Haha I know right! I just want to switch to DDR4 now and the 3930k doesn't support it. Are you saying I would get similar performance with the 5820k? Or better?

Like 20% more perf for a lot of expense.

Me and my friend both upgraded from 4690Ks to 6 core intels- I chose to go for a used Sandy-E and he went all out and got a new 5820k with ddr4 etc. He got 20% more perf and spent 4x what I did. And his CPU was an above average 5820K when it came to overclocking.

I don't think 3930K -> 5820K is worth it. Maybe 3930K -> 5960X if your primary computer use is outputting video, cad etc. But that's not cheap either.

Like 20% more perf for a lot of expense.

Me and my friend both upgraded from 4690Ks to 6 core intels- I chose to go for a used Sandy-E and he went all out and got a new 5820k with ddr4 etc. He got 20% more perf and spent 4x what I did. And his CPU was an above average 5820K when it came to overclocking.

I don't think 3930K -> 5820K is worth it. Maybe 3930K -> 5960X if your primary computer use is outputting video, cad etc. But that's not cheap either.

Well I am not looking for an upgrade in performance per say, but rather an equivalent, if not better, CPU than what I have which supports DDR4.

Well I am not looking for an upgrade in performance per say, but rather an equivalent, if not better, CPU than what I have which supports DDR4.

Any reason you are craving DDR4? Do you need the RAM density?

The main question is why? Except in some very specific use cases DDR4 isn't going to give you much of a performance increase. Price parity has come in for DDR3/DDR4. When you actually need a CPU performance increase you'll be buying DDR4, and by that time there may have been more advances in IMC on the newer platform and additional advances in DDR4. Choosing to upgrade a system solely for RAM is like buying a new car because you want a new set of tires.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Do the extra cores make up for the lower clock speed?

Depending on what you call slow, mine is OCed to 4.6GHz :).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Any reason you are craving DDR4? Do you need the RAM density?

Future proofing. If I'm doing a new build that will last me for a LONG time why wouldn't I do DDR4?

Future proofing. If I'm doing a new build that will last me for a LONG time why wouldn't I do DDR4?

I just don't see the need for you to make this change :P

Only legitimate reasons I could think of are:

You need the 8 cores on the 5960X for professional work

You need the RAM density offered by DDR4

The main question is why? Except in some very specific use cases DDR4 isn't going to give you much of a performance increase. Price parity has come in for DDR3/DDR4. When you actually need a CPU performance increase you'll be buying DDR4, and by that time there may have been more advances in IMC on the newer platform and additional advances in DDR4. Choosing to upgrade a system solely for RAM is like buying a new car because you want a new set of tires.

This makes sense.

I just don't see the need for you to make this change :P

Only legitimate reasons I could think of are:

You need the 8 cores on the 5960X for professional work

You need the RAM density offered by DDR4

Okay well here is the idea. I want to build something that is super future proof because I am about to head off to college(university) for video game design and computer science and my parents want to hook me up with something that will last all the time I am at school. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pdjfqs This build is what I was looking at. All the purchased parts are re-used from my old PC and the new parts are upgrades I want to make. You may be saying "Hey your current build is perfect the way it is" but its not. The MOBO usb hardware apperently is not compatible with the Oculus Rift: Which I plan to use in college. Its silly but I am using this as an opportunity to really make the best build I possibly can. So I assumed that included DDR4 and a high end CPU that supports it. So what can I do to improve? 

EDIT: The cooler on that pc part picker is wrong. Mine is better.

What you get from DDR4 is not worth the upgrade. Unless you are going to 5960X

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

snip

The Corsair PSU is over priced and over rated. EVGA 850 or 1000 G2 comes with a 10 year warranty (double Corsair's 5) and is cheaper.

Same goes for the Kingston RAM. G.Skill Ripjaws 4 or 5 at the same speeds and capacity for $50 less, just check the board's QVL for RAM, don't get a kit that's not on it -especially at 3000MHz.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |