VPN that can tunnel through firewalls

rufee

Hey guys, so need a solution for a simple problem.

I want to provide a friend with a VPN to my network so that he could use some services that the university blocked the ports for. It also seems that port 1723 (used for windows pptp) is also blocked. So the question: is there any way to tunnel through some other way ? Maybe OpenVPN ? I can also configure many other protocols (L2TP etc...). as you can see im not an expert at VPN's so help me out here guys :)

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

if there is a will there is a way :P

I'm running a VPN on my uni connection, you first need to find out what kind of firewall(most prob a proxy) it is. My uni runs a HTTP/S proxy, it only allows data on port 80. If you open your web browser does it ask for username and password? if yes then copy paste that text here and ill help further :)

EDIT: You can also try proxifier if it is a proxy.

Asus P8P67 (G3) | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz | 12GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI PE OC 660Ti

OCZ Agility 4 128GB | Corsair GS 700W psu | CM Storm Enforcer | CM Storm Sirus | Razer BlackWidow

Wall of shame/honor

Hey guys, so need a solution for a simple problem.

I want to provide a friend with a VPN to my network so that he could use some services that the university blocked the ports for. It also seems that port 1723 (used for windows pptp) is also blocked. So the question: is there any way to tunnel through some other way ? Maybe OpenVPN ? I can also configure many other protocols (L2TP etc...). as you can see im not an expert at VPN's so help me out here guys :)

I had this problem with my college, except that they only blocked port 1723 but allowed 22 and any other port. If they have a strict firewall i would bind port 443 externally to port 1723 internally on your network so you can connect on either port. 

Its actually in a dorm, he gets a wire and that's it, he has normal internet access, but just some or most of the ports are blocked i have no further idea about his network.

I need a protocol that i could set the port for it, OpenVPN looks like a good idea, but it does not look like its free. I have hardware that could run it i just need a protocol/way that would work.

According to this thread, it is possible to do with OpenVPN.

Windows Server 2008 (on the VPN server) also allows for this by using SSTP, which uses port 443.

I haven't tried any of the above solutions though so I am not sure how hard they are to configure, or how well they work.

What do you use as the VPN server?

I use a PPTP on my Mikrotik router, it works for me, but he can't connect to it or actually the router can't tunnel to him.

I use a PPTP on my Mikrotik router, it works for me, but he can't connect to it or actually the router can't tunnel to him.

is the VPN server running on  the router itself? if it isn't and your router supports this you can forward port 80 or 443 to a different internal port (IE 1723) 

If you have a Linux box lying around you could Tunnel over SSH instead.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

I do have a linux box running doing nothing atm so how would i go about setting it up ?

I had a quick play with openvpn last night in a virtualbox and it seemed easy enough to set up following a couple of YouTube videos and their quick start guid, it is free for 2 concurrent users to use it at the same time.

This is using openvpn access server on Ubuntu, but there are versions for other distributions.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/overview.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenVPNAS/videos

Use openvpn + ssl vpn

your friend installs openvpn client

My Rigs (past and present)

I do have a linux box running doing nothing atm so how would i go about setting it up ?

I'm assuming that your friend is running windows, if so then this guide should help

http://blog.ashurex.com/2012/03/15/creating-ssh-proxy-tunnel-putty/

You would need to allow SSH access to your linux box

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

I need it to encapsulate the whole connection that is he completely connects through me not just the browser. That does not look like it will do.

I need it to encapsulate the whole connection that is he completely connects through me not just the browser. That does not look like it will do.

OpenVPN would probably be the best way to go then, i'm pretty sure that you can change the port it uses to anything you like

Have you tried the SSL vpn in the mikrotik?  http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/SSTP#SSTP_Server

You'll need to enable full tunnel support.  If not, use OpenVPN and enable full tunnel support over SSL vpn.  http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/OpenVPN

Alternatively, your friend can use a free proxpn account

My Rigs (past and present)