So, I should use Vsync right?

ManOfDisguise

I have never used V-sync and i really don't  see the use of it.

If one really was concerned with power and heat why would they build a beast of a gaming machine in the first place?

Powerful doesn't need to mean power hog.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would say use Vsync only if you can the FPS well above your refresh rate of your monitor, so your GPU does not have to work as hard if it does not need to.

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3

frame rate limiting only limits total fps per second. not per 1/160th of a second. so you cna sitll get tearing even at 3 fps ( extreme case )

Vsync does not lower performance, it just makes your card not go above 60 fps. so if normally youll get 60 fps + then youll get constant 60 fps with vsync.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

If you want your games to look good, use it.

If you're competitive and want the quickest possible response, don't use it.

I pretty much exclusively play single player, so the input lag that may be caused by Vsync doesn't bother me at all.  And I can't stand screen tearing; makes me feel like I'm playing on integrated graphics.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If you want your games to look good, use it.

If you're competitive and want the quickest possible response, don't use it.

I pretty much exclusively play single player, so the input lag that may be caused by Vsync doesn't bother me at all.  And I can't stand screen tearing; makes me feel like I'm playing on integrated graphics.

I will uqote this and add that the little delay added doesnt make nowhere near as much difference as the player's skill. its within margin of error. especially in games like bf3 where strategy skill cap is basicly inexistant

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

• 1 month later...

i don't really notice the input lag or any downsides to vsync to be honest. I play competitive counter strike, and it doesn't affect me. I would say, just go with what you like. I like my quiet.

If you don't notice screen tearing, leave v-sync off. It probably won't do you anything good by turning it on when it really isn't needed.

I have only noticed screen tearing in GTA IV, and turning v-sync on solved the problem. I never noticed input lag after I turned it on, so it was probably so little that I couldn't perceive it.

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz      RAMKingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)      MOBO: ASRock Z77E-ITX  

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6GB     HDD's: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  

PSUSilverStone Strider ST50F-P 500W       Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black)    

If you don't notice screen tearing, leave v-sync off. It probably won't do you anything good by turning it on when it really isn't needed.

I have only noticed screen tearing in GTA IV, and turning v-sync on solved the problem. I never noticed input lag after I turned it on, so it was probably so little that I couldn't perceive it.

V-sync also naturally can reduce power draw so long as your GPU can render more than 60FPS in your games and it's rendering to a 60Hz display.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I usually limit the frame rate to 70, for some reason the basic 60 doesn't feel so smooth

Input lag using Vsync is one of the most over exaggerated things on the internet, 99.9% will never notice any input lag, those that say they do are on the internet cool things to say bandwagon.

If you put two machine next to each other one with vsync and one without, and faked the tearing on the one with Vsync the percentage of people that could tell you which really had the Vsync turned off would be minuscule.

The facts are Vsync will give you a more consistent smooth gameplay (as long as the game can run over the monitors refresh rate), it will eliminate screen tearing and in a lot of cases will stop graphics card coil whinging.

Like it or not games are designed by most developers to be run optimally at 60hz with Vsync on.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----