So, I should use Vsync right?

ManOfDisguise

im gona build a pc and all that but im gona get a dell u2312hm IPS monitor which is 60hz. now im gona have an asus 7970 gfx card so i should reach over 60fps on a lot of games, so to prevent screen tearing i should enable vsync on all games that i go over 60 fps? also with vsync enabled, will i get any bad fps drops? i hope it wont drop to like 40 or something

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Man up and handle the tearing. Vsync is for n00bz

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

im gona build a pc and all that but im gona get a dell u2312hm IPS monitor which is 60hz. now im gona have an asus 7970 gfx card so i should reach over 60fps on a lot of games, so to prevent screen tearing i should enable vsync on all games that i go over 60 fps? also with vsync enabled, will i get any bad fps drops? i hope it wont drop to like 40 or something

Vsync will prevent screen tearing, but you might notice some microstuttering. I recommend getting RadeonPro along with the latest AMD Catalyst drivers (13.8 Beta or later) to lower the microstutter.

Vsync will give you increased input lag so go with something like adaptive vsync

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Vsync will give you increased input lag so go with something like adaptive vsync

isnt that only for nvidia, or? is it in the options in the game?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Some games I use it, some games I don't.. Theoretically, Vsync can increase input lag, so I try the game with it on and if I notice bad input lag I turn it off.. Otherwise, I'd rather not have my GPU fan running loud all the time..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Wait, i dont get it now. If I dont use vsync I will have screen tearin considering i will get more fps than my monitor hz(60). if i do use vsync i will get input lag. so im pretty much screwed one way or another?

Specs of my PC:

isnt that only for nvidia, or? is it in the options in the game?

you can get it with radeon pro I believe 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Just so you know, screen tearing happens when you are above and below your refresh rate, I have no idea why linus once said it's only above the refresh rate of the monitor, also, becuase of how V-sync works animation quality may be a little less smooth, but you probably will not tell.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

You will NOT always get screen tearing when your fps is higher than your refresh rate so that is something to keep in mind.

V-sync will increase input lag. Will it be enough to make a difference? That is up to you, I don't notice it but i'm not a super hardcore gamer who turns down every setting to low so my fps never drops down.

You will get lower temps and power draw with v-sync enabled (if you get over 60fps) which is a nice thing to have.

Adaptive v-sync is a Nvidia only feature but i'm pretty sure you get get a similar feature with AMD from a third party program.

I don't know if this stops screen tearing (I would assume it would) but you can enable a frame limiter and cap your frame rate.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Use vsync so your gpu doesn't have to overproduce frames.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just try it on and off and use what you prefer. It's really a matter of personal preference here.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Turn off vsync in online games, turn it on in SP games if its needed.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I recently bought NBA2K13 and with V Sync on it had mad stuttering, but then when I put the game in window mode it went. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I think adaptive Vsync is Kepler feature isn't it?

No. It's for all NVIDIA cards that support the drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just try it on and off and use what you prefer. It's really a matter of personal preference here.

And if you like the increased power draw and heat output.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

And if you like the increased power draw and heat output.

If one really was concerned with power and heat why would they build a beast of a gaming machine in the first place?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

If one really was concerned with power and heat why would they build a beast of a gaming machine in the first place?

Because too much heat damages a computer and decreases longevity. Also, the best gaming pc's are powerful as well as energy and heat efficient

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Because too much heat damages a computer and decreases longevity. Also, the best gaming pc's are powerful as well as energy and heat efficient

If you stay within the safe temperatures (any PC with decent cooling will), drawing say 600W instead of 500W while gaming won't affect longevity. Power and heat shouldn't be an argument to use Vsync, it's just stupid.

- Albert Einstein

If you stay within the safe temperatures (any PC with decent cooling will), drawing say 600W instead of 500W while gaming won't affect longevity. Power and heat shouldn't be an argument to use Vsync, it's just stupid.

Actually it will. Running the card below max output increases longevity and part duration. 

It's a valid point to make for v-sync. If i'm playing an older game and getting 450fps with 100% gpu usage why would I not use v-sync to make my GPU quieter and stay cooler since it doesn't need to be under max load.

Since it doesn't matter download EVGA Precision and click on k-boost that way it will always run at max speed and never downclock since like you said it doesn't matter.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Actually it will. Running the card below max output increases longevity and part duration. 

It's a valid point to make for v-sync. If i'm playing an older game and getting 450fps with 100% gpu usage why would I not use v-sync to make my GPU quieter and stay cooler since it doesn't need to be under max load.

Since it doesn't matter download EVGA Precision and click on k-boost that way it will always run at max speed and never downclock since like you said it doesn't matter.

I didn't say it doesn't matter at all, but for a lot of gamers input lag and stuttering by far outweighs the argument of "less power & less heat". Personally, I always use Vsync because I don't really play shooters or any game that requires minimal input lag. Plus, I can't stand screen tearing at all. The power saved is just a little bonus.

I doubt anyone will force Vsync on themselves even if they hate it because they might save a couple of months on their GPU life - and honestly who waits for their graphics card to die to replace it?

- Albert Einstein

It just depends on the game to be honest. Like it may be good for CoD, for example, but with Counter Strike Source or Global Offensive it just ruins the game.

I have the Dell U2312HM and two 7870's in Crossfire.

Like target39 has said, get RadeonPro and use the adaptive v-sync feature. I use it, there is a bit of screen tearing, but it doesn't bug me much.

Also, to note, since the Dell U2312HM has a very low input lag to begin with, I use v-sync and I do not notice any kind of input lag, no matter the game.

input_lag_1.jpg

As usual I tested the screen against a CRT to determine the level of input lag of the TFT. This is something which can put off some gamers and is a delay between graphics card and monitor output. By hooking up a CRT you can show that  the LCD lags behind somewhat, which can affect users in some situations where they rely on the screen image being as fast as their inputs (e.g. fast FPS shooting games). Often, input lag is very low and probably wouldn't represent too much of a problem in real terms.

The input lag of the U2312HM was incredibly low, and in fact the lowest we have ever seen from a TFT display. There was practically no delay at all with most measurements showing 0ms lag compared with the CRT. There was an occasional lag of up to 10ms but over many measurements we had an average lag of only 0.6ms. This was lower than the already very good U2311H (10.3ms) and the new Dell U2412M (9.4ms). Excellent work here from Dell to bring lag down to such a low level. This will present no problem, even to high end gamers.

It's a beautiful monitor and I plan on getting two or three more for surround gaming and multitasking.