Best DAC for me?

AllHokage

Overpriced == Expensive

Expensive =! Overpriced.

Not everything that is expensive is overpriced. 

About the DT990 on an E10K. Doing some math based on the information on this specification sheet;

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters

I come up with 25,6mW @ 250 ohms. The DT990 has a power handling of 100mw, which is about 1/4th of it's power handling. Added with only 96dB SPL, and it sure as hell won't be anywhere near loud.

Given that the Element is $350, it is more expensive than an O2+ODAC and far more expensive than even a Schiit Uber stack. I'm aware that if people are buying something at a given pirce it is by definition not overpriced, but in this case I'm comparing it to competing products. The fact that it uses a USB powered DAC with no WASAPI exclusive support is pretty shitty for such an expensive unit. I guess it's great if you like machined aluminum.

Based on the information I can find online, the E10K can provide up to 2.6 Vrms. This is enough to get 108-110dB from the DT990, which is very loud. Max power handling means just that, not "ideal power". Given that the E10 has similar performance, I we reasonably conclude that it is very possible to get louder than is comfortable - or safe - with this amp.

If you want to continue to say otherwise based on experience with a completely different amp and completely different headphones, feel free.

If you want to continue to say otherwise based on experience with a completely different amp and completely different headphones, feel free.

Given the caveats I provided to my own statement, I think it's a little unfair of you to chastice me like that. I'm not making bold claims.

I've said it a few times already. I respect your knowledge, but can you please return the favor. Berating someone, even if they're using weaselwords in their statements, just seems a little unnecessary.

Just calculated SPL for the D1 + AKG 612 and it was 107dB. Which was supposed to be "moderate to fairly loud", it didn't feel that way. But I guess 110dB is 3dB higher, which is substantial.

Given the caveats I provided to my own statement, I think it's a little unfair of you to chastice me like that. I'm not making bold claims.

I've said it a few times already. I respect your knowledge, but can you please return the favor. Berating someone, even if they're using weaselwords in their statements, just seems a little unnecessary.

Just calculated SPL for the D1 + AKG 612 and it was 107dB. Which was supposed to be "moderate to fairly loud", it didn't feel that way. But I guess 110dB is 3dB higher, which is substantial.

Sorry, but I believe we're comparing apples to oranges here. I appreciate why you are providing a caveat here, but at the end of the day you're basing it off of a different device and less sensitive headphones. The K612 is less sensitive than the DT series. And I believe the D1 is 2 Vrms max, which is less than the Fiio can manage.

Sorry, but I believe we're comparing apples to oranges here. I appreciate why you are providing a caveat here, but at the end of the day you're basing it off of a different device and less sensitive headphones. The K612 is less sensitive than the DT series. And I believe the D1 is 2 Vrms max, which is less than the Fiio can manage.

True, the K612 Pro is just a bad example in the end. Even the 4.5 vrms of the O2 amp can 'only' muster 114dB out of them.

Just throwing this out there I also have the DT 990 Pro and use them with my apple iPhone 6, to ear bleeding levels.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

To save alot of fighting, I'm just going to link you all the DAC/AMP available in Australia and you can tell me what's the best option.

http://www.minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphone-amps-dacs/portable-amps-dacs/

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/211

And anything on ebay...

Everyone has told you multiple times that the e10k will be more than enough power for what you want, and has a built in dac. Just buy it already. The only people disputing this haven't actually tried the e10 with any headphones, so just listen to those of us who have, and get the e10k.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD