Best DAC for me?

AllHokage

So I'm going to buying a DAC/AMP soon for under $200 and have been looking at the Audioengine D1 DAC for $199 so far. The trouble is I'm not sure if ill need it just for something like a DT990 PRO, so if someone could maybe recommend me something cheaper with the same performance that would be awesome?

Also it need's to have a clean look (Black with flat top surface), as going to be stuck under a desk.

NOTE: From Australia

Might add this later...

I personally use the Schiit Modi (and Magni stack) and love it. Very clean looks (though Silver, not black). 

Schiit Modi 2

$100

U don't need that pricey one

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Schiit Modi 2

$100

U don't need that pricey one

I assume the OP means "amp AND DAC" since a DAC is not useful for driving a headphone on it's own.

Definitely avoid the Audioengine, it is overpriced and poopy. Beyond that, I would say just try your motherboard first. It's probably more than enough for a headphone like the DT990. If it isn't, check out a Magni 2 or something along those lines.

That's $200 in Australia and not even black, so that's imo more of a downgrade.

Might add this later...

That's $200 in Australia and not even black, so that's a downgrade.

Eh, feel free to buy audio products purely based on looks. It's a fine way to waste money.

Again, going to suggest that you buy nothing. Getting the "same performance" as the D1 is just a plug into your motherboard audio jack away.

Eh, feel free to buy audio products purely based on looks. It's a fine way to waste money.

Again, going to suggest that you buy nothing. Getting the "same performance" as the D1 is just a plug into your motherboard audio jack away.

Heard alot of good things about it, you seem to be the first person to straight out call it bad...

I'm not after looks, I just need something without stuff on the top of it, what allows me to stick it under the desk. While keeping it black to blend in.

Might add this later...

Heard alot of good things about it, you seem to be the first person to straight out call it bad...

I'm not after looks, I just need something without stuff on the top of it, not allowing me to stick it the desk. While keeping it black to blend in.

Your motherboard is great at blending in.

Fiio E10K is a possibility if you're determined to plow forward with hating money, I don't know if is available or any cheaper where you're shopping.

Your motherboard is great at blending in.

Fiio E10K is a possibility if you're determined to plow forward with hating money, I don't know if is available or any cheaper where you're shopping.

So I'll hear static with this as well, there will be no difference? Fiio E10K is avaible fairly cheap in my country, so might get that if it will remove noise and add some extra umth.

Might add this later...

So I'll hear static with this as well, there will be no difference? Fiio E10K is avaible fairly cheap in my country, so might get that if it will remove noise and add some extra umth.

You didn't mention that you had static. Yes, the Fiio would be a good choice, then.

Definitely avoid the Audioengine, it is overpriced and poopy.

Well the headphone amp is. It uses an OPA2134 (10ohm output impedance), which these days can be found on most "premium" gaming motherboards aswell. It's not poopy, just very run-of-the-mill. 

Primarily used as a headphone AMP though it's definitely not worth the money. And there are certainly cheaper ways to seperate your DAC from the motherboard to use as line-out to a O2 amp or schiit modi.

Just adding this for people who own one and opt into replacing it, based on that statement, when they plan on using it as line-out or for their speakers. The DAC part is fine, it uses a pretty decent chip (AKM4396).

@AllHokage, if you want a black AMP/DAC combo that runs just about every headset, look at the JDS Labs Objective2 Combo, or 'The Element'. Or a modi-stack and a can of spraypaint ^^

You didn't mention that you had static. Yes, the Fiio would be a good choice, then.

Also while we are here, do you know any usb cords for it what will extend the range of the default one, lets say an extension or whole replacement cord? 

Maybe 80cm to 1 meter in length.

Might add this later...

Well the headphone amp is. It uses an OPA2134 (10ohm output impedance), which these days can be found on most "premium" gaming motherboards aswell. It's not poopy, just very run-of-the-mill. 

Primarily used as a headphone AMP though it's definitely not worth the money. And there are certainly cheaper ways to seperate your DAC from the motherboard to use as line-out to a O2 amp or schiit modi.

Just adding this for people who own one and opt into replacing it, based on that statement, when they plan on using it as line-out or for their speakers. The DAC part is fine, it uses a pretty decent chip (AKM4396).

@AllHokage, if you want a black AMP/DAC combo that runs just about every headset, look at the JDS Labs Objective2 Combo, or 'The Element'. Or a modi-stack and a can of spraypaint ^^

Well I'm only going to be running my DT990/Cloud II, so don't need something that beefy, as this is only my start to getting  into audio. Do you think the Fiio e10K is fine?

Might add this later...

Also while we are here, do you know any usb cords for it what will extend the range of the default one, lets say an extension or whole replacement cord? 

Maybe 80cm to 1 meter in length.

Any A to mini-B will be fine. Monoprice makes good ones.

if you want a black AMP/DAC combo that runs just about every headset, look at the JDS Labs Objective2 Combo, or 'The Element'.

Talk about overpriced :wacko:

AKM or not, the D1 is lame considering the price. It should be like $100-120 max.

Well I'm only going to be running my DT990/Cloud II, so don't need something that beefy. Do you think the Fiio e10K is fine?

Of course it's fine. I've run 600 ohm headphones out of the original E10 with no problem.

Any A to mini-B will be fine. Monoprice makes good ones.

Talk about overpriced :wacko:

AKM or not, the D1 is lame considering the price. It should be like $100-120 max.

Of course it's fine. I've run 600 ohm headphones out of the original E10 with no problem.

E10K use usb 2.0 or 3.0?

Also quick research shows it recommended for 150- ohms ....

Might add this later...

E10K use usb 2.0 or 3.0?

Shouldn't matter though. 

2.0. Audio devices don't play well with 3.0. You can plug into a 3.0 port, but use a 2.0 cable.

Also quick research shows it recommended for 150- ohms ....

Cool. My "research" involved plugging 250 and 600 ohm headphones into it.

2.0. Audio devices don't play well with 3.0. You can plug into a 3.0 port, but use a 2.0 cable.

Cool. My "research" involved plugging 250 and 600 ohm headphones into it.

Yer I know, but I'd rather listen to the actual manufacturers listings. I'm going to do some research on a DAC for 250ohm-, anyway thanks for giving me a solid base to go off. I might repost my final choice for a run though later on.   

Might add this later...

Yer I know, but I'd rather listen to the actual manufacturers listings. I'm going to do some research on a DAC for 250ohm-, anyway thanks for giving me a solid base to go off. I might repost my final choice for a run though later on. 

You need to educate yourself on the significance of impedance and sensitivity and how they relate to amplifier matching. Just because Fiio specifies 150 ohm as the maximum drivable with the E10K does not mean there is a magical wall there past which all headphones won't reach their "full potential". It's a meaningless spec since volume and performance of the amplifier depends equally on a number of factors, of which impedance is only one.

At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and I can tell you that the E10/K has no problem with the 250ohm DT-series headphones. You're overthinking this and putting too much stock in meaningless numbers. If the E10K is affordable in your area you are not going to find anything better, especially if you want something black.

Talk about overpriced

Overpriced == Expensive

Expensive =! Overpriced.

Not everything that is expensive is overpriced. 

About the DT990 on an E10K. Doing some math based on the information on this specification sheet;

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters

I come up with 25,6mW @ 250 ohms. The DT990 has a power handling of 100mw, which is about 1/4th of it's power handling. Added with only 96dB SPL, and it sure as hell won't be anywhere near loud.

Overpriced == Expensive

Expensive =! Overpriced.

Not everything that is expensive is overpriced. 

About the DT990 on an E10K. Doing some math based on the information on this specification sheet;

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27/parameters

I come up with 25,6mW @ 250 ohms. The DT990 has a power handling of 100mw, which is about 1/4th of it's power handling. Added with only 96dB SPL, and it sure as hell won't be anywhere near loud.

Hm So it's not a good option? I need something under $200AUD and dac/amps are hard to find in Australia.

Might add this later...

Hm So it's not a good option? I need something under $200AUD and dac/amps are hard to find in Australia.

Meh I can't say with certainty, because even taking impedance, power handling and SPL into consideration, that's still not the complete picture. 

However, based on my own experience with such a low output compared to the max. power handling and frankly higher SPL has given me doubts on whether it's loud enough. My D1 also only delivered about 33mW @ 120 Ohm, and the cans i was testing it on had a power handling of 200mW  and 101dB SPL.

It was definitely audible, but for some playback types it was a bit too soft.

I don't distrust SSL's remarks, but I can't help but place a little caveat underneath them...

I've been using a fiio e10 (the original, less powerful version) with a pair of dt990 pros for 2 years, and you will never need to go above 60% volume on low gain. I guarantee it. Listen to ssl he knows what he's on about.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I've been using a fiio e10 (the original, less powerful version) with a pair of dt990 pros for 2 years, and you will never need to go above 60% volume on low gain. I guarantee it. Listen to ssl he knows what he's on about.

What version of the DT990 have you got?

Might add this later...

What version of the DT990 have you got?

the 250 ohm, DT990 pro version.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD