Is my overclocked Intel i7-5820k running too hot?

Hello! I have overclocked my i7-5820k to 4.3GHz a few weeks ago, but i noticed that its running at about 52 degrees C when idol. under full load, it only goes up to about 65 or so. Is it normal for it to run this hot when its not doing anything? I have the Cooler Master 212 EVO for my heatsink, and i just replaced the thermal compound, but that only pulled it down 2-3 degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

post-300037-0-11654900-1452122787.jpgpost-300037-0-32603800-1452122799.jpg

That does seem a bit high for idle temps but load temps are well within range, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The picture you show is not load.

Run prime 95 in place large FFT if you can stay under 95degress or thermalthrottle you're good to go.

-snipe-

I'm quoting you so you're notified. In the future, make sure to follow your topic. Welcome to the forum. :)

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Hello! I have overclocked my i7-5820k to 4.3GHz a few weeks ago, but i noticed that its running at about 52 degrees C when idol. under full load, it only goes up to about 65 or so. Is it normal for it to run this hot when its not doing anything? I have the Cooler Master 212 EVO for my heatsink, and i just replaced the thermal compound, but that only pulled it down 2-3 degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

52C idle for 1.219v is fairly high, expected would be in the 30-40C range depending on ambient.

What cooling solution are you using? Might try kicking up the fan profiles. If you're using an AIO make sure the pump is running at its rated speed.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

52C idle for 1.219v is fairly high, expected would be in the 30-40C range depending on ambient.

What cooling solution are you using? Might try kicking up the fan profiles. If you're using an AIO make sure the pump is running at its rated speed.

hyper 212 evo lol....

@OP

Still it sounds like you have speed step disabled or something... And are you using adaptive and not manual voltage?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The picture you show is not load.

Run prime 95 in place large FFT if you can stay under 95degress or thermalthrottle you're good to go.

I wouldn't run Prime95 on Haswell CPU' s.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I wouldn't run Prime95 on Haswell CPU' s.

Why not? A stresstest is a stresstest if it fails its not stable.

Why not? A stresstest is a stresstest if it fails its not stable.

It can stress too far. It puts unrealistic loads on the CPU.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

It can stress too far. It puts unrealistic loads on the CPU.

Thats the point of a stresstest  you need to know what the max capacity is.

Thats the point of a stresstest  you need to know what the max capacity is.

Which is what stress tests do. But Prime95 can be finicky and can kill CPU' s. 

When did that happen? also i wouldent run large fft for over an hour for long tests small fft is fine.

When did that happen? also i wouldent run large fft for over an hour for long tests small fft is fine.

Or you can not overkill it (because if you want overkill run some linpack) and just use intel xtu like a sane person...

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It's happened to me. Poor, poor Pentium E6300... You will be missed.

It's happened to me. Poor, poor Pentium E6300... You will be missed.

Sorry to hear that seems like older generations where thougher.

Edit i just realised that cpu is from the same era as my but nothing has ever killed it yet :P

Sorry, im new to overclocking. Just to make sure im not screwing anything up, heres a screenshot of my bios. Is there anything that you guys recommend i change?

BlkLHBn.png

It only kills CPU that don't have adequate cooling to deal with the CPU running the FMA3 instruction set.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It only kills CPU that don't have adequate cooling to deal with the CPU running the FMA3 instruction set.

Not necessarily. It just pumps the voltage higher than you specified within BIOS. Some CPU' s die before the temps hit unsafe if the voltage just pushes it too far.

I´d recommend AIDA64 Extreme for CPU stress testing. I´ve been using the software for years already in full version, it gives you a lot of insight and info.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Not necessarily. It just pumps the voltage higher than you specified within BIOS. Some CPU' s die before the temps hit unsafe if the voltage just pushes it too far.

The CPU automatically overvolts by 0.100V to handle the load. Running it my 4790K gets pushed to 137W when it normally goes no higher than 87W with other instruction sets-and that's at 4GHz since the boost gets disabled. Straight up if your CPU isn't Prime95 stable its not stable. Going to another stress test that isn't as intense and calling it a day doesn't make your overclock suddenly stable. And any dead CPU would be from idiots running an overclock that's already close to or at the safe voltage limit with insufficient cooling. Also-all CPU (except those on the AM3+ socket) thermal throttle at the correct temperature when overheating.

PMSL

The CPU automatically overvolts by 0.100V to handle the load. Running it my 4790K gets pushed to 137W when it normally goes no higher than 87W with other instruction sets-and that's at 4GHz since the boost gets disabled. Straight up if your CPU isn't Prime95 stable its not stable. Going to another stress test that isn't as intense and calling it a day doesn't make your overclock suddenly stable. And any dead CPU would be from idiots running an overclock that's already close to or at the safe voltage limit with insufficient cooling. Also-all CPU (except those on the AM3+ socket) thermal throttle at the correct temperature when overheating.

Why don't you run linpack instead then? If it isn't linpack stable then clearly it just isn't stable... You see how this argument devolves right?

I'll leave a few paragraphs from perhaps the most famous and influential haswell overclocking guide as (s)he puts it better than me...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

'I must pass all stress tests!'

This kind of thinking might had merit in previous generation CPUs, but in Haswell at least, it is a load of bollocks. As you can see from my chart below, the range of temperatures vary wildy from test to test. We are talking about a 45C difference in temperatures. If I had stuck to Linpack or go home, I would be down from 4.6ghz to 4.1ghz. (This is backed up by testing.) This is insane. Linpack is so ridiculously hot, so completely out there, it's not worth counting. The mentality of passing all tests for the sake of stability is more irrational than you might presume at first glance. That kind of mentality means passing whatever test people happen to be able to make. If nobody made Linpack, then you would think your CPU is stable. If somebody made Linpack 2.0 that makes Linpack 1.0 look like child's play, then you might as well never overclock, because Linpack is throttling a few people at STOCK. Indeed, Linpack uses AVX2 which is a new instruction set, but so does x264, and that is one of the coldest benchmarks. Stressing AVX2 set doesn't nessesarily mean high temps and failing Linpack doesn't mean AVX2 instability. And how will you know when to stop stress testing under the original ideology? You can only estimate. Computers are built for using, not for stress testing. If you're running Linpack, and you're under the opinion that you must pass all possible tests, you need to update the math logic for Linpack and run it at MAX setting. That means using up all of your available ram for the largest problem size.

Run 2-3 different types of stressing programs, and then use your computer normally. If you crash, then it's not stable. What's stable for you might not be stable enough for me. Some people need 100% reliability because of their jobs. Some people can handle a Bsod once a week. NO, saying that you want to pass Linpack 'just in case you use your CPU to extreme limits' is complete hooey. Prime95 is already ridiculous. Linpack is ridiculous on top of ridiculous on top of unicorn blood powered by the core of the sun, worshipped by space aliens. What if there comes out a new normal application that uses as much CPU power as Linpack? Well, there is no hint of that happening, so this is just a 'what if'. Well, what if there comes out a new application that throttles you at stock? Then let's all downclock our CPUs! If you insist on passing every test just because, fine, just don't expect any half-decent overclock. If I hit 95C+ easily at 1.2v with D14, there is no way anybody can hit 1.25v+ with Linpack set to max even after delid and x60 Kraken. And guess what, the average voltage setting for the OC results chart is 1.3v, so what does this tell you? You'll be lucky to stay on 1.25v after delid and liquid cooling and having a stable setting because between Prime 28.3, which discovers stability issues like a god and Linpack at max which raises temps like a god, you will be severely hampered by the combination of both tests.

Don't give me that 'If you crash on anything, you're unstable, period' crap. Anything is decided by whatever program people decided to make. And if your definition of the word stable means not crashing in anything, ever, then I don't care about what you call stability. You will never know if something is stable by your own criteria because if you pass Prime for 500 hours, what's to say the 501th hour will be stable? That's right, you stop at some arbitrary time. I care about the computer not crashing often enough to annoy me. And that could be once a week, once a month, once a year, never, every 5 seconds. But as long as I'm fine with it, that's all that matters because it's MY CPU.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Why don't you run linpack instead then? If it isn't linpack stable then clearly it just isn't stable... You see how this argument devolves right?

I'll leave a few paragraphs from perhaps the most famous and influential haswell overclocking guide as (s)he puts it better than me...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

That is pretty much just a gimped version of Prime95. If you want to delude yourself then fine. But the only way to be even close to certain that you have a stable 24/7 OC is to run Prime95.

PMSL

That is pretty much just a gimped version of Prime95. If you want to delude yourself then fine. But the only way to be even close to certain that you have a stable 24/7 OC is to run Prime95.

You know it's funny, but my current overclock is actually not even 24 hours stable XTU, because I happen to know from experimentation and well a few 1000 hours of use already, that I have never encountered a stability issue in any game I own or any program I've run (including some that do peg my computer at 100% cpu like MCNP 6).

I know I can't do F@H on my current voltage (my PSU also shouldn't be running all my components at full power anyways) but even a bsod every 1000 hours under load would totally be acceptable for my current usages.

Because I am a very through person, I know exactly what voltage gets me 24 hours XTU stable and what voltage gets me 24 hours Prime95 stable just in case I start using a program that gives a shit. In the mean time, I will take my better component life (not that I'm concerned about it anyways), lower temperatures (not that they were ever bad, but ocd issues), and lower power bill (not that I'm strapped for cash).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

my 5820k runs @ 4.1GHz and gets 30-35°C on idle