8-pin CPU power doesn't fit Mobo (EVGA 650 GQ)

Swiftfeather
Go to solution Solved by GzeroD,

As can be seen in the pictures, the connector that connects to the power supply would fit the motherboard, but the one that's supposed to connect to the motherboard doesn't fit entirely.

I don't see how it wont fit the motherboard. one side of the connector has the square (keyed) blocks too make sure you don't plug it in incorrectly. all 8 pins are not keyed identically but there are no square connectors where there should be irregular hex pins. It should just slot in.

So, while I was building my computer, I was about done, and tried to connect the 8-pin(2x 4 pin in one) CPU power connector to my motherboard, and to my horror, it did NOT fit the motherboard. I then looked in the motherboard manual and figured out how to use only half of the 8 pins I have.

I just used 4 of them and got the device working fine, it's the one I'm using right now, I've done some gaming and it works fine etc. etc. 

My question is, do I need to have all 8 pins connected to the motherboard? Does it matter in my situation? 

I obviously won't be overclocking, as I'm on an H97 Board.

Specs:

PSU: EVGA 650W GQ

Mobo: ASRock H97M Pro4

CPU: i7 4790K

GPU: GTX 780 Ti OC

RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar Blue
SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

how does it not fit?

its supposed to

are you putting the two 4 pin connectors together properly?

there is a little plastic tab that only fits one way

eps4plus4.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had the same one my old mobo and it will work just fine. When the wires go back to the PSU it goes to the same spot, the reason there are more than one wire that you can only draw so much current threw a wire and  if the mobo wants more current than one wire can have it spreads the load across 4 wires instead of the two your using. if 12v the yellow is were 12v goes on the mobo there will be no problem at all.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

So, while I was building my computer, I was about done, and tried to connect the 8-pin(2x 4 pin in one) CPU power connector to my motherboard, and to my horror, it did NOT fit the motherboard. I then looked in the motherboard manual and figured out how to use only half of the 8 pins I have.

I just used 4 of them and got the device working fine, it's the one I'm using right now, I've done some gaming and it works fine etc. etc. 

My question is, do I need to have all 8 pins connected to the motherboard? Does it matter in my situation? 

I obviously won't be overclocking, as I'm on an H97 Board.

Specs:

PSU: EVGA 650W GQ

Mobo: ASRock H97M Pro4

CPU: i7 4790K

GPU: GTX 780 Ti OC

RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar Blue

SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it should fit, My gf said the same thing building hers... she had the plugs the wrong way lol.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

A pic. would be really helpful in this case. The 8 pin cpu connector is a standard and the GQ series is new. Not that it'll be an issue but it's highly unlikely the connector is at fault. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

It will likely be fine, but getting an unlocked i7 on an h97 board makes me want to cry a little.

Got the i7 months after the board was purchased, originally planned on a locked i5, but my budget increased and a sale happened so I got it for $250 

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

how does it not fit?

its supposed to

are you putting the two 4 pin connectors together properly?

there is a little plastic tab that only fits one way

eps4plus4.jpg

That is not the issue.

A pic. would be really helpful in this case. The 8 pin cpu connector is a standard and the GQ series is new. Not that it'll be an issue but it's highly unlikely the connector is at fault. 

http://imgur.com/a/pkVpg

As can be seen in the pictures, the connector that connects to the power supply would fit the motherboard, but the one that's supposed to connect to the motherboard doesn't fit entirely.

Don't worry that the picture says CPU 2 because 1 and 2 are both identical.

I also had cable issues with my EVGA Psu where I plugged in things wrong but maybe that's not your case. Make sure the label on the cable is right as well. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

That is not the issue.

http://imgur.com/a/pkVpg

Don't worry that the picture says CPU 2 because 1 and 2 are both identical.

Uhm, in those pictures the connectors/sockets all have the same pin shapes. I don't see a problem.

Never mind. Are you sure it's the right cable?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I also had cable issues with my EVGA Psu where I plugged in things wrong but maybe that's not your case. Make sure the label on the cable is right as well. 

Uhm, in those pictures the connectors/sockets all have the same pin shapes. I don't see a problem.

Never mind. Are you sure it's the right cable?

Cable is labeled 'CPU,' so I'm pretty sure I've got the right one, as the others I checked wouldn't even fit 

I don't see how it wont fit the motherboard. one side of the connector has the square (keyed) blocks too make sure you don't plug it in incorrectly. all 8 pins are not keyed identically but there are no square connectors where there should be irregular hex pins. It should just slot in.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

So, after fiddling around with it for 30 minutes, I managed to get it plugged in all the way, the two 4 pin connectors when next to each other create a slight gap or something that prevented both from going in at the same time. I ended up angling them very slightly inwards which let them slide right in no problem. COmputer is up and running without a hitch, thanks for that bit of info man.

So, after fiddling around with it for 30 minutes, I managed to get it plugged in all the way, the two 4 pin connectors when next to each other create a slight gap or something that prevented both from going in at the same time. I ended up angling them very slightly inwards which let them slide right in no problem. COmputer is up and running without a hitch, thanks for that bit of info man.

Glad everything is working for you.have fun with your pc :D

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.