GTA V Stuttering after ~10 min of gameplay

Rijunas

Hello, guys.

So I have a fairly good PC, which should handle GTA V without any issues and for the first 10 minutes it does that quite well, but later on, I'm just starting to get a lot of lagspikes, which are getting even worse the more I play.

First of all, here are my specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.40 GHz
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G
  • RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM
  • PSU: 600W
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3V

I'm running on Windows 8.1, which isn't possible for me to reinstall right now.

Okay, so I've been monitoring all my hardware usage when I play GTA and what I encountered is that when I start the game, it uses About 2GB of VRAM (on GTA V settings it is estimated that it would use such amount of VRAM) and about 6 GB of Paging Files, but when I jump into a car, and start driving, VRAM usage and Paging File usage starts to increase, until VRAM usage reaches about 3.2 GB and Paging File usage stops at about 10 GB and the only way to lower the usage is to restart the game. Also, I was monitoring my HDD usage, and it looked like whenever I was getting a lagspike, my GPU usage dropped to 0%, but HDD usage increased a lot, sometimes even to 100%. Okay, so I immedietly thought it was because of the HDD. But then there are my friends, who run GTA V with even slower HDD's without any issues, so I'm kind of lost rignt now. I've read a lot of threads on the internet and tried a lot of diffrent methods to get rid of this problem, but nothing seemed to work.

So, before you suggest anything, I'm going to list the things I've tried:

Installing 3 diffrent GPU drivers (Didn't work)

Changing all GTA V settings to lowest, including resolution (this extended the time until it started stuttering, but the stutter was even worse on lowest graphics)

Reinstalling the game (Didn't work)

Defraging my HDD with Smart Defrag 4 (Didn't work)

Increasing my Paging File size to 16 GB (this extended the "playable" time to 10 minutes, because before I did that, I could only play for like 5 minutes)

Setting GTA V to high priority and Launcher to low (Didn't work)

ALT + TAB'ing out the game and then back to it (Didn't work)

Turning off all the background applications which I do not use (Didn't work)

Waiting for any replies, if you need some additional info, feel free to ask, I will try to give you as much helpful info as I can!

reinstall gta v i guess?

I've already tried that. I've listed all the thing I've tried

Grand Theft Auto V has a known issue with memory leaking. You'll just have to install more RAM so that you can play for 20 minutes instead!

In all seriousness though, pretty much everything has the same issue as you. Myself included.

Grand Theft Auto V has a known issue with memory leaking. You'll just have to install more RAM so that you can play for 20 minutes instead!

In all seriousness though, pretty much everything has the same issue as you. Myself included.

my gtaV install lives on for like three hours before it dies, i got 16gb ram though

It wouldn't bother me at all if everyone had this issue. Then I'd just wait for Rockstar to fix it. But My friends are playing GTA V without any issues at all, with even lower end systems... I asked them, how did they manage to fix the stuttering, but they didn't even had any stuttering at all... Also the silly thing is, that about 6 months ago, I downloaded a cracked version of GTA to see if it runs okay and if I like the game. Back then I had GTX 760 and it ran perfecly fine, but when I bought the game on steam, I just can't play it withound any stuttering... Maybe the solution is to crack the game, that I have already bought? :D

My old HD 7870 and a 6700k runs GTA flawlessly at mid-high settings, when I had my GTX 970 and 3570k I had constant issues with GTA V and stuttering.. I still don't know how to solve it

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

My GTA V runs flawlessly under non-stop gameplay.

16Gb DDR4 mem, 6700K and SLI 970's though. My old build had only one 970, 2600K and 16Gb mem, so i currently have no answer.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

really? my issue is that when i first start the game the first 15 minutes i get average of 40 fps. after that it locks to 60. my problem is reversed.

My old HD 7870 and a 6700k runs GTA flawlessly at mid-high settings, when I had my GTX 970 and 3570k I had constant issues with GTA V and stuttering.. I still don't know how to solve it

I don't think GPU is an issue. Before I bought the new GPU (because my old one broke somehow), I tried playing GTA on Intel HD 4600 and it ran on 40 fps when I started the game, but later on, started lagspiking a lot like now. Although then I thought it was normal, because of the integrated graphics.

Resolution?

I have a 4690 and a 970 and it runs flawlessly on high settings on 1440p

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

Resolution?

I have a 4690 and a 970 and it runs flawlessly on high settings on 1440p

I have a 1080p monitor. I tried running it at the lowest resolution, but it only made the stuttering worse, although I could play a little longer without it.

What is that PSU?

600w from who?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What is that PSU?

600w from who?

I don't actually know, because I bought a pre built PC about 2 years ago, only upgraded the GPU a few weeks ago, and I don't know how to check your PSU through software, but the PSU doesn't seem to be an issue, because all the other games run flawlessly, and I don't have any problems with my GPU either.

I don't actually know, because I bought a pre built PC about 2 years ago, only upgraded the GPU a few weeks ago, and I don't know how to check your PSU through software, but the PSU doesn't seem to be an issue, because all the other games run flawlessly, and I don't have any problems with my GPU either.

Take this with a grain of salt for now...

But..

Pre-built PC's usually carry a not-good PSU thats capable of driving the parts list inside, and does not leave much headroom...

I know its 600w, but there are even shitty PSU's that say 600w and can only really provide 400-500w constant. Plus shitty power delivery and not providing enough amps to your gear.

To be honest, GTA5 is one of the most intensive games for combination of CPU and GPU usage. This could very well be why other games are fine but GTA5 is not.

Other games may not draw nearly as much power as GTA5 does.

Plus some crappy PSU's can not deliver the right amount of watts/amps when needed in STRESSFUL situations. (Not saying its crappy, but Pre-builts usually don't have good quality PSU's at all)

If you have a friend to which you can bring his PC over (Or urs to his), and test his PSU (if capable) in ur machine and check it out.

You would be surprised how many times this actually comes up on the forums and the PSU is the cause.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Take this with a grain of salt for now...

But..

Pre-built PC's usually carry a not-good PSU thats capable of driving the parts list inside, and does not leave much headroom...

I know its 600w, but there are even shitty PSU's that say 600w and can only really provide 400-500w constant. Plus shitty power delivery and not providing enough amps to your gear.

To be honest, GTA5 is one of the most intensive games for combination of CPU and GPU usage. This could very well be why other games are fine but GTA5 is not.

Other games may not draw nearly as much power as GTA5 does.

Plus some crappy PSU's can not deliver the right amount of watts/amps when needed in STRESSFUL situations. (Not saying its crappy, but Pre-builts usually don't have good quality PSU's at all)

If you have a friend to which you can bring his PC over (Or urs to his), and test his PSU (if capable) in ur machine and check it out.

You would be surprised how many times this actually comes up on the forums and the PSU is the cause.

I see what you mean. Before buying a new GPU I was afraid of the PSU being too shitty, but it runs perfect. I am monitoring everything through MSI Afterburner and other games seem to squeze out a lot more power from the GPU than GTA V... As I said, these lagspikes occur even on lowest settings, when the GPU usage stays at 30% and CPU usage at 60% - 70%. All the temperatures are good, GPU max temperature is about 65 C and CPU max temp is about 72 C. The only thing that's being stressed a lot when I play is HDD, because of too high Paging File usage. I don't know if there's a way to fix this throught software, if not, I'm just going to get a new HDD or SSD...

I see what you mean. Before buying a new GPU I was afraid of the PSU being too shitty, but it runs perfect. I am monitoring everything through MSI Afterburner and other games seem to squeze out a lot more power from the GPU than GTA V... As I said, these lagspikes occur even on lowest settings, when the GPU usage stays at 30% and CPU usage at 60% - 70%. All the temperatures are good, GPU max temperature is about 65 C and CPU max temp is about 72 C. The only thing that's being stressed a lot when I play is HDD, because of too high Paging File usage. I don't know if there's a way to fix this throught software, if not, I'm just going to get a new HDD or SSD...

Is your pagefile on Auto via Windows or manually set?

Maybe try changing the min-max values (lower then higher on both) and see if there are any changes.?

Maybe try changing the min-max values and see if there are any changes.?

Yes, I've tried that. And it's the only thing of all the things I've tried, that made a diffrence. It extended the "playable" time to 10 minutes, because before doing that, I could only play for like 3 - 5 minutes. I set my paging files for both my drives to be from 12288 MB to 16384 MB, but extending it even more, doesn't seem to mane any diffrence.

Maybe try changing the min-max values (lower then higher on both) and see if there are any changes.?

Here's a photo of my pagefile settings: http://prntscr.com/9mqwct

When it happens go into the GTA graphics settings menu and change a single setting. Say change reflections from ultra to high for example then try and keep playing. Does that work?

01000100 01100001 01110010 01110101 01100100 01100101 00100000 00101101 00100000 01010011 01100001 01101110 01100100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01101101

Here's a photo of my pagefile settings: http://prntscr.com/9mqwct

Give this a shot to hopefully improve HDD usage to not go to 100%.

I found this topic through a Google search. I am having the same issue. GTA 5 has been stuttering alot lately for me as well. My system is pretty low end to mid range. I bought the game in early June. The current PC I have now I bought back in late may after a laptop from 2010 died for the second time out of warranty. I bought a GPU and new PSU for the PC before I bought the game. I haven't had these issues before. The game never stuttered like this in the in the past and I know it isn't my hardware. I never got a steady 60 FPS that would be impossible. But I did get a playable 30-60 FPS. Depending on what was going on I could see 60 once in a while. A few months back I had the issue with the frame rate dropping after a patch. It seemed like Rockstar fixed it and now we have this mess.

All my drivers are up to date. My PSU is good. I have no problems with other games. I am using an EVGA GTX 750 TI SC 2 GB, the one that gets power from the slot and uses no power connection from the PSU. My PSU is an Antec Earth Watts 380 watt PSU. The same one I have been using since I bought the game. The GPU I have says a 350 watt PSU is needed and I have a 380 watt. It is bronze Certified on Newegg.

I have tried multiple solutions to fixing the problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. It is the Steam version. That didn't help. I ran disk defrag. No good either. My GPU drivers are all up to date. The only thing I have found that helps a little is running the game in windowed borderless mode or using V sync which basically caps the frame rate at 30 FPS if it goes below 60. The settings in the game match my monitors refresh rate and native resolution. I run the game at 1920x1080. I have always used this resolution. I don't like using V-sync cause I prefer getting the best frame rate I can. 35 is still better than 30.

I wanted to get back into the game and play it more but Rockstar has made a complete mess of the game. The stuttering doesn't happen all the time of course. But it does happen a bit more than I would like it to. It usually like a 1-3 second stutter. Not quite a freeze up. It happens on crashes occasionally or when coming out of the hospital and even occasionally when you have to pull a gun out. This last one got me killed while on a mission. I was on low health and I got one of the longer stutters and ended up dead. Since then all I have tried to do is fix it. I guess I will go back to MGS 5 and Ground Zeroes until enough people complain about this to Rockstar and they fix it.

My specs

Windows 10 (upgraded a few months ago)

AMD A10 6700 3.70 GHz quad core

8GB RAM

EVGA GTX 750 TI SC 2GB

When it happens go into the GTA graphics settings menu and change a single setting. Say change reflections from ultra to high for example then try and keep playing. Does that work?

From the stuff I have seen about the issue online is no setting changes seem to work.

Hello, guys.

So I have a fairly good PC, which should handle GTA V without any issues and for the first 10 minutes it does that quite well, but later on, I'm just starting to get a lot of lagspikes, which are getting even worse the more I play.

First of all, here are my specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.40 GHz
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G
  • RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM
  • PSU: 600W
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3V

I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause of your issue, but I myself have a 970M, and have this issue has well. Several people that I know, who also have 970 GPUs have had this same issue.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause of your issue, but I myself have a 970M, and have this issue has well. Several people that I know, who also have 970 GPUs have had this same issue.

I don't think it's a GPU issue, because I know a lot of people who own the exact same GPU as I do, and they don't have any issues whatsoever... I think it's because my hard drive has two partitions, and that somehow instabilezes the usage of paging files.... Although I'm not sure about anything, but I think this is a problem with my HDD, or more specifically it's configuration