Quiet Build: Share your thoughts on the Gigabyte 980ti air cooled cards?

StevenSensei
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

From my research these cards are more quiet than the Asus Strix series which is pretty darn quiet. I know that all cards will put out noise when being used and pushed in games or rendering. What would you suggest as a quiet alternative?

If in US then noise ratings are as follows  Evga Kingpin (heavy triple slot) = Asus Matrix = MSI Lightning (huge triple slot >= Zotac Amp Extreme (huge triple slot) > Evga ACX 2.0 >= MSI Gaming 6G >=Strix > Gigabtye >> Reference

If not in US and the Palit Super Jetstream is available then it is by far the quietest 980ti on the market (of true air coolers).

I'm planning on buying a video card in the next 2 weeks or so as part of the last part of my first build in well over 12 years. The build is designed to be quiet and I've been looking at a lot of different cards over the last few months. Not interested in any AIO or water cooled cards. Color wise my build is black and white with the lovely brown and tan from noctua :)

I think I've settled on one of the Gigabyte windforce cards. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions on the Gigabyte 980ti cards? More specifically:

GV-N98TXTREME-6GD  - XTREME GAMING Graphics Card   

GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD - G1 GAMING Graphics Card  

Is there something else I should be considering? Purchasing most likely from amazon.com and importing the card into Japan because even with the import cost it's far cheaper than buying locally. Unfortunately newegg, EVGA,  and many other online retailers are not an option. Not worried too much about price as they are all pretty close at the flagship level. 

Thanks!

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Gigabyte cards are far from quiet.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I dont trust their customer support

Their cards arent great either

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm planning on buying a video card in the next 2 weeks or so as part of the last part of my first build in well over 12 years. The build is designed to be quiet and I've been looking at a lot of different cards over the last few months. Not interested in any AIO or water cooled cards. Color wise my build is black and white with the lovely brown and tan from noctua :)

I think I've settled on one of the Gigabyte windforce cards. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions on the Gigabyte 980ti cards? More specifically:

GV-N98TXTREME-6GD  - XTREME GAMING Graphics Card   

GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD - G1 GAMING Graphics Card  

Is there something else I should be considering? Purchasing most likely from amazon.com and importing the card into Japan because even with the import cost it's far cheaper than buying locally. Unfortunately newegg, EVGA,  and many other online retailers are not an option. Not worried too much about price as they are all pretty close at the flagship level. 

Thanks!

MSI cards avaliable?  They will fare much better than Gigabyte in silence.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Lots of comments saying to pass on these....recommendations for alternatives?

I dont trust their customer support

Their cards arent great either

Why? What would you recommend instead?

I'd go for MSI in terms of quietness, also can we see the rest of the build? I may be able to help with making the build closer to "silent"

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Why? What would you recommend instead?

MSI and EVGA

MSI for better cards and support

EVGA for good cards and excellent support

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Gigabyte cards are far from quiet.

From my research these cards are more quiet than the Asus Strix series which is pretty darn quiet. I know that all cards will put out noise when being used and pushed in games or rendering. What would you suggest as a quiet alternative?

I've owned all EVGA except one Gigabyte card. The gigabyte card was soooo loud. 

I'd say buy an MSI or EVGA card. The Asus Matrix card is suppose to be extremely quiet.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

If in US then noise ratings are as follows  Evga Kingpin (heavy triple slot) = Asus Matrix = MSI Lightning (huge triple slot >= Zotac Amp Extreme (huge triple slot) > Evga ACX 2.0 >= MSI Gaming 6G >=Strix > Gigabtye >> Reference

If not in US and the Palit Super Jetstream is available then it is by far the quietest 980ti on the market (of true air coolers).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'd go for MSI in terms of quietness, also can we see the rest of the build? I may be able to help with making the build closer to "silent"

Define r5 case (replace stock fans with NF-A14 PWM 140mm fans. 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust)

ASUS 170 Deluxe MB

i7 6700K

Noctua NH-D15S cooler with 2 NF-A15 140 mm fans

Seasonic SS-660XP2 80+ platinum hybrid PSU. 

I'm in Japan....didn't even know this card existed. Looks like I can pick one up in country for about $660 / USD. I might have to dig in on some research on that card. Thanks for the tip. 

Bah! Good reviews but conflicting information. Some list the gigabyte G1 as being more quiet than the Palit. Others list MSI as better...others as worse. I think I've come to the conclusion that all of these cards are good and I'm splitting hears and picking knits. They will probably meet my needs as they are all really close to one another in power and noise level. So I guess it's just time to pull the trigger on the card that will give me the best value and is the easiest to obtain at the price....Thanks all :)

The EVGA K|NGP|N is a dual slot card. Same with the ASUS Matrix. The Lightning is more like 2.5 slot. The AMP! Extreme is slightly over 2 slots. No where near triple. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The EVGA K|NGP|N is a dual slot card. Same with the ASUS Matrix. The Lightning is more like 2.5 slot. The AMP! Extreme is slightly over 2 slots. No where near triple. 

My bad on the Kingpin (which is just super heavy), but I didn't call the matrix a triple slot.

If a card is sufficiently over two slots where you can't reasonably physically put them in two slot spaced situations, they are triple slot which is the case for both the Amp extreme and the Lightning.

As guru3d puts it "The card itself is a triple-slot solution, it is composite heat-pipe based, the GPU is cooled by a copper base plate connected to heat pipes."

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,2.html

post-225630-0-97973200-1452105582.jpg

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS