I need help with the basics of cpus

Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,

The hate for Comic Sans MS is real. What did I do?

But anyway, both the CPU's are very nasty and I wouldn't recommended them. *Most* Pentium 4's have Hyperthreading, so lets assume it is 4.5GHz.

I'd go the P4, it is a desktop CPU and you can put a modern GPU into it (Depending on the motherboard)

I'm pretty bad with computers and I was wondering if there was a correlation between the cores and clock rate. If I have a clock rate of 1.5 Ghz and 4 cores will it truthfully be 1.5Ghz * 4cores( 6Ghz ) or is the 1.5Ghz spread through the cores.

I was wondering if my 3Ghz 1 core was better or not. My current Cpu is an AMD A4-500(1.5Ghz, 4core) or a pentium 4(3Ghz, 1 core).

Thanks For putting up with my B.S. and stupidity (and my comic sans!)             :)                             

Please don"t use big words. :P 

no comic sans pls.

atleast you follow your own posts.

The font! It burns!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm pretty bad with computers and I was wondering if there was a correlation between the cores and clock rate. If I have a clock rate of 1.5 Ghz and 4 cores will it truthfully be 1.5Ghz * 4cores( 6Ghz ) or is the 1.5Ghz spread through the cores.

I was wondering if my 3Ghz 1 core was better or not. My current Cpu is an AMD A4-500(1.5Ghz, 4core) or a pentium 4(3Ghz, 1 core).

Thanks For putting up with my B.S. and stupidity (and my comic sans!)             :)                             

eww comic sans, but you can't do cores times clock speed because computers dont work like that, and you cant compare clock speed against different types of cpus. The A4-5000 is better then the pentium 4 though...

Ahhh, it hurts my eyes!

Typically, the clock speed is for each core. So a 4 core CPU running at 3GHz is running at 3GHz on each core (doesn't make it a 12GHz CPU). Clock speeds can be different for each core though, in various situations. 

Clock speed is not everything, though. Just because something has a higher clock speed does not mean it will be able to process things faster, even if they have the same amount of cores. At that point, things like architecture and IPC come into play. 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A4-5000-APU-vs-Intel-Pentium-4-300GHz/m5321vsm440

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I think what you'll want to look into is threads (and multithreaded workloads, what is and isn't) as well as instructions per clock (IPC) to understand what you are asking here. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You don't want to start off here making a bad impression. Stop trying to be a special little snowflake and use 14 point arial like the rest of us on here.

My eyes.....

Anyhow, in addition to what shinobu said, it also depends on the kinds of applications you're using. For example, a typical video rendering software (say something from adobe *cough*) would utilize a lot of "threads", which you can think of as a cpu core chewing through the thread for now. One core can only chew up one (or two, if its hyper threaded) thread at a time. In this case, it would be beneficial to have a cpu with more cores (say a xeon or an extreme edition cpu). 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, games in general tend to use less threads (mostly utilizing 2~4 cores), with a few exceptions (tomb raider for one), in which case it might be beneficial to use a cpu with less, but more powerful cores (say an i5 or i7). 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

But anyway, both the CPU's are very nasty and I wouldn't recommended them. *Most* Pentium 4's have Hyperthreading, so lets assume it is 4.5GHz.

I'd go the P4, it is a desktop CPU and you can put a modern GPU into it (Depending on the motherboard)

I think what you'll want to look into is threads (and multithreaded workloads, what is and isn't) as well as instructions per clock (IPC) to understand what you are asking here. 

Oh, dear God, my eyes! Not you too?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

No one likes you.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Oh, dear God, my eyes! Not you too?

No one likes you.

No one likes you.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

no its 1.5ghz for all cores. you dont times it by the amount of cores.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Alright, I'm gonna actually stay on topic... soooo....

You can think of each core as it's own CPU, just under the same die. 

So, with that said, I'll try to keep this as non-confusing as possible.

For most applications, they will be able to spread the work across 4 cores at 1.5 GHz. This effectively gives 6 GHz of work with this type of workload (Theoretically. Although this suffers from scaling issues. Diminishing marginal returns I guess you could say.)

However, some applications are very dependent on 1 thread. One example is certain simulations, as you are reliant on the results of the previous computation in order to compute the next result. In this case, you will pretty much have 1.5 GHz effective clock rate, but you will have the other cores open to do other work.

It depends on what you are wanting to do with this. If you can overclock the A4-500 to 2GHz, that will be by far superior, although I am leaning towards that regardless.

I can get far more in-depth if you want. I could also link you to resources where you can learn more about it.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

no its 1.5ghz for all cores. you dont times it by the amount of cores.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It depends on the workload. 

For multi-threaded workloads, you can multiply the number of cores by the clock speed to give the effective clock. 1 quad-core 1.5 GHz will be able to do the same amount of work as a 6 GHz CPU in a perfectly multi-threaded workload. 

Like with my Xeon, it is an 8-core with a 3.1 GHz turbo speed when all are active. This effectively allows me to do the same as a CPU with a clock speed of 24.8 GHz in a perfectly multi-threaded workload. (Ignoring everything to do with increased instructions per clock cycle when progressing in generations.)

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb