Unpractical 10 gigabit curiosity.

Hi!

I'm pretty curious whether if in theory this  would work.

Imagine you have a server that has built in dual gigabit. And then you just ram two pcie 4 x gigabit cards into onto there and do some link aggregation with all that mess. Would you, and again, in theory (storage doesn't matter here), be able to get 10 gigabit on your network?

Thanks and have a nice day! 

why not just one 10Gb card?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

that's still only 4x1gigabit

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

The basic and simplest answer is no.

The real answer is much more complex. Depending on what the server is, the type of link aggregation that you set up and how many clients are connecting, you could, push a total of 10 Gb out. No single client would ever see more than 1 gigabit from the server, regardless of how they themselves are connected to that same switch.

You can get 10 Gb network cards on eBay for $15. Don't waste your time. 

Hi!

I'm pretty curious whether if in theory this  would work.

Imagine you have a server that has built in dual gigabit. And then you just ram two pcie 4 x gigabit cards into onto there and do some link aggregation with all that mess. Would you, and again, in theory (storage doesn't matter here), be able to get 10 gigabit on your network?

Thanks and have a nice day! 

In theory yes, I have done stuff like that but I never get the speeds that I would get on paper.. I have done 2x 4Gbit cards and windows saw it as 8Gbit but I snagged 2 10Gbit cards and an SFP+ cable for them for about $80 and get full reliable 10Gbit to my storage server :P

The basic and simplest answer is no.

The real answer is much more complex. Depending on what the server is, the type of link aggregation that you set up and how many clients are connecting, you could, push a total of 10 Gb out. No single client would ever see more than 1 gigabit from the server, regardless of how they themselves are connected to that same switch.

You can get 10 Gb network cards on eBay for $15. Don't waste your time. 

You can't get them for $15 at least when I did my 10 Gbit network I had to pay $40 per card.. 

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

In theory yes, I have done stuff like that but I never get the speeds that I would get on paper.. I have done 2x 4Gbit cards and windows saw it as 8Gbit but I snagged 2 10Gbit cards and an SFP+ cable for them for about $80 and get full reliable 10Gbit to my storage server :P

You can't get them for $15 at least when I did my 10 Gbit network I had to pay $40 per card.. 

Depends on which card and your timing. I got my Mellanox ConnectX 2 when the particular seller had "over 200" available. Purchased two for $30. The going rate at the moment is around $20 per card, but you can get most sellers down to $17-$18 on a best offer if you buy two. That's for Mellanox; I find that Chelsios carry at bout 25%-40% premium. 

Depends on which card and your timing. I got my Mellanox ConnectX 2 when the particular seller had "over 200" available. Purchased two for $30. The going rate at the moment is around $20 per card, but you can get most sellers down to $17-$18 on a best offer if you buy two. That's for Mellanox; I find that Chelsios carry at bout 25%-40% premium. 

I have the same cards lol Bought them for $37 each  :P

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

I have the same cards lol Bought them for $37 each  :P

did you get transceivers with them ?

did you get transceivers with them ?

No, just got a SFP+ cable for it and it fit :P Did you?

Don't feel too bad then. I didn't get transceivers. I picked them up from Fiberstore. Tranceivers were about $15 each and I think it was around $20-$25 for 70 feet of optical cable. another $15 for the SFP+ DAC cable and that's what I'm using to go from my computer to the switch (optical) and the switch to the NAS (DAC).

dual gigabit on board = 2 ports

(2 x) 4x gigabit card = 8 ports

8+2=10

Do you even math, bro ?

oh, i read it as in 2 PCIE 4x cards as in the picture, lol, nevermind

pci-express-slots.gif

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D