GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 wont post

Hello LTT guys.

First time on the forum, but the youtube channel promise you are smart and helpfull.

I have bought new parts to upgrade my PC. A Gigabyte ga-z170x-gaming 3 motherboard. A skylake I5 6600k, Radeon 390X, and 16 GB of corsair ram. (and a hyper 212 evo to cool it)

I just have the motherboard laying on the box it comes in. I connect power to it, both the big connector, and the small 8pin ATX connector at the CPU. I connect the CPU cooler to the dedicated pins on the motherboard. (I will attach an image where I outlined what connectors I use) Besides that, I just run the connector to the powerbutton so I dont have to short it to turn it on, no other front connectors.

So to the problem. When I turn it on, the fan start spinning on the cpu cooler, and nothing else happens.

I have tried with only one stick of ram, and in all the slots.

My mate bought the same setup, just with the I7 CPU instead. I have tried ram, and cpu in his, and they work.

The graphics card work too, I am using it in my old PC, but when I try to post I just the onboard graphics anyway. On my friends motherboard, when he turns it on, there are some LEDs that turn on, and make a red stripe across the board around the IO ports, this does not turn on here. only thing that happens is the fan on the cpu cooler.

I suspect the motherboard is broken, but the reason I ask here is, its the my second board, with the same failure, and I could just be very unlucky, but before I send it in for RMA, is there something really obvious I missed? 

post-299157-0-93128100-1451830723_thumb.

Try just shorting the pins. 

At least do that before you go through GIGABYTE's nightmare RMA process.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

its a dead board. rma it    edit: reset cmos, if still not working ->rma

I have tried turning it on by shorting pins too, but that really isnt the issue :) And I am not going direct to gigabyte, just my retailer, thats how it works in denmark anyway :)

I was pretty sure it was dead too, but I hoped something new had happened I didnt think of, since my old computer is 5 years old, and a lot can happen in that time :)

I remember once sitting with a dead computer that wouldn't boot for hours before realising you had to connect the CPU fan to the right pins on the motherboard, stuff like that :)

But ty for the replies anyway, and if someone think "did he do this or that" dont hesitate to assume I am stupid - It might seem so obvious, no one thinks of it :) The thing that bugs me is that I get 2 motherboards, that both has this problem. thats whats makes me think, I cant be this unlucky, something else is at play here!

are you sure you plugged cpu 8 pin into the 8 pin right? not pci power?

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

do you have the serial number of the old board?

any chance they sent you back your old board?

seems like you have done all of the logical troubleshooting including testing the ram and cpu in another board. board seems to be faulty

last thing to try is remove the battery and leave board unplugged for 10-15 minutes and try again.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Tried GPU in the top slot with power hooked up to it and no display then either? Hook it all up, try to boot it that way and see what happens. If you still get nothing reset the BIOS by turning it off, unplug the power cable from the wall or PSU, jump the CMOS reset pins with a flathead screw driver for 5-6 seconds, plug it back up and turn it back on and see if it still isn't doing anything. 

I tried clearing CMOS, and it didn't help either.

I will send it in to them and wait their judgement.

It isnt the same board, as they were nice enough to let me order a new one with the promise of reimbursing me, if the first one was really defective. I have also tried with graphics card, same problem.

ty for the inputs, but as ProKon says, I feel like I have tried all troubleshooting already, so nothing to do than send it back, and curse myself for not using my normal dealer, but one so far away I cant just drive there, but have to wait for postoffice and so on.

I will post an update when I hear from them if anyone is interested.

thx for the help once again. 

• 10 months later...

And of course, as the bad human I am, I forgot all about this when it started working! 

It was a problem with PSU! How exactly, I am not sure. I had an older Antec case that came with 2 PSU in it, they were linked together so they worked as one, and I had a couple of computers run in it with no problems what so ever. But after testing all my hardware, ram, cpu, gpu and so on in other computers, and getting my board back telling me that nothing was wrong. it was more or less the only thing I didn't try. And as soon as I put another PSU on it, it worked. Why the other setup did not work, I do not understand, as it still runs my old computer, but at least I found a solution,