Doing a scrapyard type PC thing, need GPU and pricing advice

iamdarkyoshi

I am trying to use up random parts around the house to build a PC to sell. So far I have:

Cooler master 500W PSU

Deepcool Tesseract case

160GB HDD from an old Mac (I hope it still works...)

3 case fans

An old soundblaster soundcard from an old OEM workstation PC

an mATX LGA1155 motherboard with i3 2100 CPU

Cooler master heatsink on said CPU

And thats it. I still need a GPU and RAM. I found a guy on craigslist that I will be meeting tomorrow, he has 8GB of DDR3 for 40 bucks. What a steal! (I will run memtest, do not worry)

I also need a GPU. I found a 560Ti Superclocked for 65 bucks. Worth it? Too good of a deal? I have never bought an nvidia GPU before... It also appears to be everyone's favorite card in terms of thermals...

If I can get a response from the seller of the 560Ti and buy it for 65 bucks, and I put the 8GB of RAM into it, what should I sell it for?

I also have an 8800GT sitting around, but it has no heatsink. Is it worth bodging something onto this or is this GPU just too old at this point?

Edited by iamdarkyoshi

I am trying to use up random parts around the house to build a PC to sell. So far I have:

Cooler master 500W PSU

Deepcool Tesseract case

3 case fans

an mATX LGA1155 motherboard with i3 2300 CPU

And thats it. I still need a GPU and RAM. I found a guy on craigslist that I will be meeting tomorrow, he has 8GB of DDR3 for 40 bucks. What a steal! (I will run memtest, do not worry)

I also need a GPU. I found a 560Ti Superclocked for 65 bucks. Worth it? Too good of a deal? I have never bought an nvidia GPU before... It also appears to be everyone's favorite card in terms of thermals...

If I can get a response from the seller of the 560Ti and buy it for 65 bucks, and I put the 8GB of RAM into it, what should I sell it for?

remind me not to buy from you

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Cooler master 500W PSU

Deepcool Tesseract case

3 case fans

an mATX LGA1155 motherboard with i3 2300 CPU

I also have an 8800GT sitting around, but it has no heatsink. Is it worth bodging something onto this or is this GPU just too old at this point?

40 dollars for RAM? You can get new RAM for cheaper...

The 560ti should be about 60 bucks which is what he's selling it for so that's fine.

Why?

Because he doesn't want to buy a system with a possibly sketchy history.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8gb ddr3 for $40?

hmm, you can get that new.

8GB of DDR3 for $40 is brand new price right now. You can get 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws for $30. The average price for a 560 Ti on ebay looks ot be about $70, so you're right around on point. 

For everything you have there, I wouldn't ask more than $300 for it.

Why?

im just making a joke...

thats the kinda pc I stay away from when buying second hand

mismash of parts that may or may not work

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

The 560ti should be about 60 bucks which is what he's selling it for so that's fine.

8gb ddr3 for $40?

hmm, you can get that new.

Its literally within walking distance, so I choose to go for this ram. And I didnt know it got this cheap...

Its literally within walking distance, so I choose to go for this ram. And I didnt know it got this cheap...

OK, cuz 40 bucks for RAM is a fair bit when you can get it for like 30 bucks new, although I'm not sure about shipping.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would rather wait a few days for the new ram, it might even be cheaper.

Cooler master 500W PSU

Deepcool Tesseract case

3 case fans

an mATX LGA1155 motherboard with i3 2100 CPU

I'm actually have a video where I take a 9800GT (which is a 8800GT with a smaller mp) and put a Intel stock cooler on it. hint hint, it goes very well.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Last I checked 8gb ddr3 ram costed about $60 to $70... Something evidently changed!

Last I checked 8gb ddr3 ram costed about $60 to $70... Something evidently changed!

When I bought my first 8GB's two years ago it was almost 85$! Now it's like 38$ for 8GB's. :D

EDIT: The reason for RAM being so expensive was a major chip manufacturing factor in Asia burned down, so high demand and not enough supply drove prices up.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Going to just note you can get used 580s on ebay for around $100-$120 which might be better

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

true, I got 8GB of DDR3 for $29 free shipping about a month back