Choosing between 5.1 audio setups!

Inimigor
Good afternoon Gentleman! I'm planinng my last purchase of 2015/first purchase of 2016!

***Note: All currency in this post will be in Brazillian Reais, that way I can find local prices easily. (1 US Dollar = R$3.95)

I'm currently using a Phillips MC 160 Microsystem as speakers (Worth ~R$150) and the speakers have been wheezing a lot recently, So i'm thinking of replacing it with a 5.1 setup.

So far I'm having 3 options in mind:

1) Creative A520 (R$ 363.71)

post-7479-0-78705700-1451605950.jpg

2) Logitech Z506 (R$469.90)

post-7479-0-06912200-1451605947_thumb.jp

3) Sony BDV-E2100 (~R$850-900)

post-7479-0-92691400-1451605951_thumb.jp

They all are 5.1 and can connect in my PC without issues (Sony = Optical Audio, Logitech/Creative = 3x 3,5mm jacks (Green, Black & Orange))

The specifics of each are:

1) Creative A520

• Output Power:  37W RMS (5W per satellite channel + 12W Subwoofer)
• Signal/Noise Ratio:  75dB 
• Subwoofer is where the electronics are installed
• Control on a wired remote¹
• Has no Headphone connection²
• Connects using 3,5mm connector
• 1 year Warranty
• Is a hell of a lot chaper than anythig else!

2) Logitech Z506

• Output Power:  75W RMS (8W Front and Rear Channels + 16W Center 27W Subwoofer)
• Signal/Noise Ratio: No information found D:
• Subwoofer is where the electronics are installed
• Controls are located on Front Right Speaker
• Connects using 3,5mm connector
• 2 Years Warranty

3) Sony BDV-E2100

• Output Power:  1000W RMS (Not quite sure if it's true)(Front 125W, Center 250W, Surround 125W, Subwoofer 250W)
• Signal/Noise Ratio:  No information found D:
• Has own "control" unit
• Has DVD/Blu-Ray 3D capability (Don't care at all, won't EVER buy DVDs/Blu-Rays)
• Has Wifi and Bluetooth and NFC connection (Kind of cool for syncing phone, and apparently it has netflix built in.)
• FM (zero f**ks given)
• TONS of connections:
    • Ethernet
    • HDMI out
    • Analog RCA In (Stereo)
    • Optical in (the one I'd probably use to connect to the PC)³
    • USB in
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • DLNA
• Wireless remote and freakin USB Keyboard!!!
• Warranty depends of where i buy it (6-24months)

¹ - Don't care for it, I use the volume wheel on keyboard for controlling sound on PC and Unified remote to control it when I'm away from PC
² - I made a circuit using a 2 position switch to change between headphones and speakers easily, not sure how i'd use it with 5.1 audio, but I think I could make it work.
³ - The headphone thing. I wouldn't like having to switch the audio output in windows every time I want to change between Headphones and Speakers, Can anyone shine some light here?

The only one I can test myself is the Sony one, the other two I have to order online.

I'm considering a lot sound quality, I'm not going to throw a party or anything, so sound is not a huge concern, but I don't want it to be too low.

I've heard the Logitech sometimes poops it's pants when trying to get some heavy bass.

I'm thinking of placing them in the walls and ceiling aswell (as you can see in the picture with my amazing mspaint skills:

post-7479-0-44433100-1451605910_thumb.jp

Is the Creative one any good?

Is the Logitech Z506 enough for some rock, dubstep and aggrotech?

Is the Sony worth the price? Is it overkill? Will it be a pain in the ass to switch from Optical Audio to Headphones?

So far I'm mostly leaned to get the Logitech one, opinions?

I'm completely open to sugestions, if I can find the recommendations in Brazil I'll let you know, if not I'll let you know too :P

(Also, is there anything I need to do in order for the 5.1 to work, or just plug it in and be happy?)

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Maybe @SSL can help you out. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Maybe one of the speaker guys around here will be able to shed some light on what would work well for you.

One thing that I can comment on is that unfortunately you will not have an easy time switching between surround speakers and stereo headphones - you'll also need to switch the output mode in Windows from 5.1 to stereo/headphone mode, which requires either manual intervention or some kind of special software or drivers.

My other piece of general advice is that quality 2.0 or 2.1 for near-field PC listening will be better quality and value than a cheapo HTIB. So you might open up the field to bookshelf speakers. This will also make the job of switching between headphones and speakers easier as well.

Maybe one of the speaker guys around here will be able to shed some light on what would work well for you.

One thing that I can comment on is that unfortunately you will not have an easy time switching between surround speakers and stereo headphones - you'll also need to switch the output mode in Windows from 5.1 to stereo/headphone mode, which requires either manual intervention or some kind of special software or drivers.

My other piece of general advice is that quality 2.0 or 2.1 for near-field PC listening will be better quality and value than a cheapo HTIB. So you might open up the field to bookshelf speakers. This will also make the job of switching between headphones and speakers easier as well.

Well as long as the headphones and speakers are plugged into differen jacks all you need to do to switch is just change default audio device in playback devices.

Or if the speakers have a (good) headphone lot, use that.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well as long as the headphones and speakers are plugged into differen jacks all you need to do to switch is just change default audio device in playback devices.

Or if the speakers have a (good) headphone lot, use that.

I prefer not having to do that hahaha, I even made a little circuit with a switch so that I can easily change between Headphones and speakers without needing to alt+tab or something like that.

But if the Sony sound quality is way better than the Logitech one's I'd make the trade. Problem is: I can't compare the Logitech to any other because i don't know anyone who has one, and there isn't one selling anywhere in my town or near it D: The sony I can try out how it sounds in the store in monday. 

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

As SSL said, go for a stereo setup

Finde a used quality stereo amp like NAD, Denon, Cambridge or so, 40w at 8ohm plus, and a pair of good bookshelf speakers.

System : I7-6700K EK-Supremacy. . Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH . 16GB Kingston HyperX predator ddr4. Evga Supernova 750 G2. Samsung 850 250gb. Samsung 840 250gb.

Evga GTX780 Classified EK-780 Classy . NZXT H440 White. Alphacool ST30 240. HW Labs SR-1 360. Alphacool D5 vario. aquacomputer D5 pump/res combo  . logi G502. CM Quick fire blue.  Dell U2515H.

As SSL said, go for a stereo setup

Finde a used quality stereo amp like NAD, Denon, Cambridge or so, 40w at 8ohm plus, and a pair of good bookshelf speakers.

Do note great deals can be found on craigslist for used speakers and amps/receivers. People want to get rid of them becuase they take up space, and they "upgraded" to a tiny system or a soundbar

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The thing about the Logitech and Creative systems are the speakers are hard wired, and I think they all have to be connected to the sub.  That can make sub placement difficult.  That's something that drives me nuts about all computer 2.1 systems as well.  They would be so much better if they just used standard speaker wire.

In general it's best to go through life without buying stuff that has an optical drive included, such as TVs or home theater receivers.  They are almost always subpar quality and they break at a really high rate (source: I had a friend that used to work for a rent to own place).

It's best to get a good home theater 5.1+ reciever (they go for really cheap used, especially non-HDMI ones), then get a good 2 speakers for stereo, then either get 3 more speakers or get a sub.  However with that said the best audio upgrade in my life was when I upgraded from my TV (which was hooked up to something like looked a lot like your Philips MC160) to a really cheap Sony HTIB.  A bad surround sound system (especially if the environment allows for proper speaker placement) is always going to be a much better upgrade over no surround sound than a good surround system is going to be over a bad surround system.  In fact every other audio upgrade I've done feels like I'm chasing the dragon that was my first HTIB.

If you want 5.1, can I recommend using an amplifier and some bookshelf speakers. I have the speakers but no amplifier yet but it sounds great from my CD player so far so there are no issues with it. Plus you will get no pain in your ears after a while. Well, at least I do anyway.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

@SSL I already have a Stereo setup, but I was thinking of getting a 5.1, If I were to get another Stereo setup I'd probably try to find a way to mod my existing Phillips sound system. Maybe getting new speakers if it's not the amplifier/tape/CD unit and finding a way to put a dedicated sub. 

But it's true, for Stereo Speakers i have this circuit I made for switching between headphones/speakers with a simple switch.

Do note great deals can be found on craigslist for used speakers and amps/receivers. People want to get rid of them becuase they take up space, and they "upgraded" to a tiny system or a soundbar

People are apparently not selling much of these used good speakers here in Brazil, at least I couldn't find any for a decent price (I have up to R$900 or ~R$225 minus taxes to invest in this)

The setup I'd like to get for a surround would be placed like this: Cables would not be much of a problem, I can get extensios/solder longer cables.

post-7479-0-44433100-1451605910.jpg

@SSL I already have a Stereo setup, but I was thinking of getting a 5.1, If I were to get another Stereo setup I'd probably try to find a way to mod my existing Phillips sound system. Maybe getting new speakers if it's not the amplifier/tape/CD unit and finding a way to put a dedicated sub. 

But it's true, for Stereo Speakers i have this circuit I made for switching between headphones/speakers with a simple switch.

People are apparently not selling much of these used good speakers here in Brazil, at least I couldn't find any for a decent price (I have up to R$900 or ~R$225 minus taxes to invest in this)

The setup I'd like to get for a surround would be placed like this: Cables would not be much of a problem, I can get extensios/solder longer cables.

post-7479-0-44433100-1451605910.jpg

Yes you do have stereo now, but not a very good one. you cant compare that phillips to a quality stereo setup.

You just get better sound quality for the money if you go stereo, but if 5.1 is what you want go for it

System : I7-6700K EK-Supremacy. . Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH . 16GB Kingston HyperX predator ddr4. Evga Supernova 750 G2. Samsung 850 250gb. Samsung 840 250gb.

Evga GTX780 Classified EK-780 Classy . NZXT H440 White. Alphacool ST30 240. HW Labs SR-1 360. Alphacool D5 vario. aquacomputer D5 pump/res combo  . logi G502. CM Quick fire blue.  Dell U2515H.

I would actually not do a center channel in that set up.  If 2 people where on opposite sides of a couch the center channel will anchor the dialogue.  However if you are sitting dead center for the front left and front right speakers then it's not really necessary.  There might some benefit if you can place the center speaker at the same height (and equal distance to the listening spot) as the other 2 front speakers, which would mean placing it where that top monitor is now.  But placing it at the bottom will actually make the surround experience worse.

Also it would be best if you can place the rear speakers at equal height to the front speakers.  You might have to buy some stands are get really creative, but I think the results would be worth it.

This is kind of what I was getting at before with saying surround sound in a box (like the 3 options you mentioned) are not ideal but still worth it if you can place the speakers properly.  Another way of putting would be I would take the shittiest HTIB speakers if I can place them perfectly in a decent room for sound over the world's most expensive speakers that are not places well at all in a bad room (for example a large room with cement floors, wall and ceiling).  You will have a much better experience.

Yes you do have stereo now, but not a very good one. you cant compare that phillips to a quality stereo setup.

You just get better sound quality for the money if you go stereo, but if 5.1 is what you want go for it

OK, that is useful info :) So what Stereo's should I keep and eye out for? Was just giving out as much info on the idea of the 5.1 setup as I could.

@Donk Quixote that seems like a lot more of work than I expected, and my room is not quite "optimized" for sound and I use the table on the left for manteinance on computers during on the side, so putting stands back there would not be quite nice, maybe some sort of suspension from the ceiling? And the center one, what if I put the side speakers and the center one higher up? Like, abot the 4th monitor at the top? That would make it easier to level all of them and make it more like a "square" formation. I have a plan to get some sort of sound dampening here in my room (there is a zumba class literally 6 meters away from my room) in the future and It might help a little, wouldn't it?

And a question for both, is there any good 5.1 audio setup or should I stick to stereo? I could save for money to get a better setup if there's any 5.1 worth it.

I wouldn't worry about the room too much, unless you are interested in recording anything.  With the speakers so close to the listening spot the room doesn't have as much effect as it would if it were the typical distances from a normal living room TV.  It's called near field, and this guy explains it a little bit.

One thing I forgot to mention is if you plan on wall or ceiling mounting them you probably want speakers with front firing ports.  The Sony system is the only one that has that.  They even mounting ports on the back.  If you could figure a way to mount the center channel between the two center monitors that would be ideal.  Then maybe mount the rear speakers on something like this and move them out of the way when you're not listening to 5.1 content?  IDK, that's where creativity comes from.

As far as is it worth it?  IDK.  Take the invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan at the beginning.  With improper speakers placement you still experience a room full of sound with bullets and explosions everywhere, but with proper speaker placement you can hear the trajectory of individual bullets whizzing by you.  Sometimes I don't know there is a siren in the movie I'm watching or one driving by my house (I live close to a fire station).  When watching NFL games it feels like I'm in the broadcaster's booth, and I can hear fans yell random stuff from all over, things I normally miss.  The best I can explain it is it's like having sex vs having sex with your pants on.  Having sex with your pants on is good, better than not having sex with your pants on, but is just doesn't compare to having sex with your pants off.

The practical advice would be to invest in a good set of headphones, then down the line upgrade to a good 2.0 system, then if you feel like it get a sub and/or surround speakers.  You give yourself and upgrade path.  But if I thought there was a way to McGuyver (an old american TV show about a guy who can fix complex mechanics with a pocket knife and bubble gum) the speakers into good placement I might just take the Logitechs and call it a day.  Another option is you can get a cheap amp like the Lepai 2020 (and if your motherboard doesn't support surround then an external card like this one) then find any 2 cheap speakers for the surround speakers.  Then just use the speakers you have for the FR and FL and a virtual center channel.  You'll get a sense for how much more time and resources you spend on a surround setup you want to use.