What Should I Get: GTX 970 or R9 390?

PooPotato

The title says it all.  Right now I'm looking at MSI, but any other recommendations for a manufacturer would be great.

Both are great, I'd personally recommend the 970.

There is a search button you know, do some research online (otherwise you will just get options).

#1 tool of the internet : Google

#2 tool of the internet: Research

Might add this later...

390 because of them GB's vram

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

I would look into the features provided by both Nvidia and AMD for their cards. I like Nvidia because of Geforce Experience allowing me to get tailored game settings and Shadow play. I'm not sure what AMD has to offer tho. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Depends what you want. The cards are pretty similar. 

390 consumes a lot more power and has 8gb or vram (not that important, but can be more of a factor with 4k gaming)

970 considerably more efficient and typically a little better for most 1080p gaming.

(Edit: I also think the 390 has hdmi 1.6 ports and the 970 has hdmi 2.0 ports in case you were considering 4k)

Depends what you want. The cards are pretty similar. 

390 consumes a lot more power and has 8gb or vram (not that important, but can be more of a factor with 4k gaming)

970 considerably more efficient and typically a little better for most 1080p gaming.

Don't think you will be 4k gaming with a 390.

Might add this later...

I know right? LOL!!! Fucking silly business. How do you sell GPUs? Slap 3G of useless VRAM on it...

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I would look into the features provided by both Nvidia and AMD for their cards. I like Nvidia because of Geforce Experience allowing me to get tailored game settings and Shadow play. I'm not sure what AMD has to offer tho. 

AMD has similar features as well, I would get the 390, it's faster and has better value + the 8GB of RAM would be most useful in Crossfire.

Obviously you'd need an xfire or sli configuration. Just saying the 8gb of vram becomes more of a factor at that point.

AMD has similar features as well, I would get the 390, it's faster and has better value.

Well my father owns a Shield portable so I like being able to gamestream without having to use crappy laggy services such as Splashtop and VNC

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Obviously you'd need an xfire or sli configuration. Just saying the 8gb of vram becomes more of a factor at that point.

What developer would make a game that only plays on one GPU at 4K?

Silly business

Depends, the 390 Is stronger but I personally chose the 970 thanks to shadowplay, gameworks etc.

390 OCd for 1440p

970 for 1080p or smaller cases.

Hiya :)

Feel free to quote me in a reply so I can see your reply :)

Well my father owns a Shield portable so I like being able to gamestream without having to use crappy laggy services such as Splashtop and VNC

Well if you like gaming on a shield portable then go with the 970 otherwise the 390 is the better card.

If you get the 390, I'll trade you my 970 for it.

Damn, where were you a few weeks back? LOL you would have had a deal.

390, better price/performance (yes, even in 1080p......)

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

WOAH WOAH WOAH what's with this?! Why are so many people recommending the 970?!

390 all the way, 8gb of VRAM and the same if not better performance.

Unless you can get a 970 for WAY WAY cheaper, stay far away.

390 uses more power, performs slightly better at 1080p, crushes at 1440p and has more VRAM, presumably allowing it to last longer.

970 uses less power, performs slightly worse at 1080p, gets obliterated at 1440p and has less VRAM, which will quickly limit its capabilities in the future

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Damn, where were you a few weeks back? LOL you would have had a deal.

I'm running 3440x1440p and the 3.5gb of VRAM is an issue, the 970 is fine for 1080 and most 1440p as long as you're not using high-res textures or mods (Skyrim comes to mind). 

I'm running 3440x1440p and the 3.5gb of VRAM is an issue, the 970 is fine for 1080 and most 1440p as long as you're not using high-res textures or mods (Skyrim comes to mind).

And you still would have had a deal lol. The 390 is a paper dragon. And I'm surprised because there are many 970 users not having an issue with the memory on this forum.

even then I doubt it would handle it, you need two 980ti's at least.

Might add this later...

I have a 390 NITRO from sapphire running on my 550w PSU. If I had the chance, I'd still buy my 390 over a 970. The new radeon crimson software allows you to set custom game profiles just like geforce's experience. You don't get shadow play, but you do get raptr. It works similar though I've never used it since I bought recording software long ago.

I run 1080p 144hz Freesync. It is butter smooth, though I just bought a 1440p 144hz monitor with Freesync and will be buying a Fury X to replace it.