AMD FX 8320 Build or Intel 4770k Build (Workstation/Gaming rig)

fuse

What program(s) are you using for editing? What kind of videos and footage are you usually working with?

Adobe apps, Bonjour and sometimes with go into Cinema4d. Usually working with 2k video for schools projects. I'm in the cinema club at my local high school. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Also you can't get a H220 in the states

I can order in from NCIX.ca 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

I completely forgot that AMD price cut the 7990 but the MSI board isn't PCI gen 3 so it would be bottlenecked, bookmarked your build for future reference also.

Im sure it will be fine, you probably won't get bottlenecked

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($150.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($269.48 @ TigerDirect) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($176.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Video Card:  PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($613.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1728.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-30 18:01 EDT-0400)

The Gigabyte board isn't PCi gen 3 and I already ordered the Fractal Define XL case.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

The Gigabyte board isn't PCi gen 3 and I already ordered the Fractal Define XL case.

Wanna know a secret? PCIe gen. 3 is unnecessary. Gen. 2 is plenty fast enough unless you want to run dual-GPU cards.

Wanna know a secret? PCIe gen. 3 is unnecessary. Gen. 2 is plenty fast enough unless you want to run dual-GPU cards.

Hmm, I though it bottlekecked the memory bandwidth. Okay then. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

I completely forgot that AMD price cut the 7990 but the MSI board isn't PCI gen 3 so it would be bottlenecked, bookmarked your build for future reference also. 

Like a 5 - 8 frame difference between gen 2 and 3, unnoticeable. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Adobe apps, Bonjour and sometimes with go into Cinema4d. Usually working with 2k video for schools projects. I'm in the cinema club at my local high school. 

Are you heavy on After Effects? The rest of Adobe has already begun to adopt OpenCL leaving just AE to rely on CUDA.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you heavy on After Effects? The rest of Adobe has already begun to adopt OpenCL leaving just AE to rely on CUDA.

Usually not but from time to time I might have to do whole scenes in it, but I can export and import projects back to premiere pro. But whats faster, OpenCL or CUDA, that will help decide between the 7990 and the 780.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Usually not but from time to time I might have to do whole scenes in it, but I can export and import projects back to premiere pro. But whats faster, OpenCL or CUDA, that will help decide between the 7990 and the 780.

OpenCL and Cuda are basically the same but AMD tends to have more horsepower and Cuda has had better support in the past.

Everything is moving towards OpenCL so that's what I would do.

Also, 2 7970's would be better than a single 7990.

Looking at your original lists--is 1TB really enough for the footage you're working with?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

K, thank you man. What brand has the best 7970 ghz cards?

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Hey, thanks to everyone, I really appreciate the help from you guys. Saving me a ton of money at the same time. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

K, thank you man. What brand has the best 7970 ghz cards?

Brand doesn't really matter. Any dual/triple fan will do.

I was thinking something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1y6ls

Maybe replace the case fans or add more to make it more quiet. For airflow, it doesn't get much better than the Tempest.

Maybe replace the case fans or add more to make it more quiet. For airflow, it doesn't get much better than the Tempest.

Bookmarked, I already ordered my Fractal Define XL R2 case. Should be arriving tomorrow, so excited. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

OpenCL is the way to go.  AMD's OpenCL performance absolutely smokes both Nvidia's CUDA/OpenCl performance.  There is no comparison between them.  Of course if you go AMD you will have to use programs that have support for OpenCl, which most do or are currently working on supporting it. CUDA has had more support in the past, but Nvidia seems to be losing steam among vendors has everyone adopts the OpenCl standard. 

The 7990 is a great card, but if I were you I'd wait for the 9000 series to drop.  Will be easier to cool and you wouldn't have to worry about any Crossfire issues.  Besides I am not sure most video editing programs that are OpenCl accelerated can even take advantage of more than one GPU unit.  In that case a 9000 series card would easily prove faster, cooler, and more upgradable.

Not to mention the power consumption, which you honestly shouldn't care about. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

A lot of people recommended pretty good builds but this is by far my favorite so far.

Just some general tips to the OP, avoid Gigabyte & XFX 7970s as they are voltage locked & loud under load.

Really good 7970s to go by are the HIS IceQ X², Sapphire Dual-X & MSI Twinfrozr II those have unlocked voltage control & very quiet coolers, the HIS & Sapphire being the quietest of the bunch.

If you want PCIe 3.0 you might want to consider the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 GEN3, I personally believe that it's not necessary PCIe 2.0 is plenty fast.

I would also recommend an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 board over the Gigabyte UD5 for a slightly larger feature-set, a superior UEFI BIOS implementation & higher speed memory support especially when all 4 dimms are occupied.

Lastly, I would highly advise you to pick RAM out of the supported list of the motherboard maker, I've made the mistake of thinking ram is ram & bought a couple of corsair 1600mhz modules that were not supported by the board (990FX Sabertooth + FX 8320) which gave me a ton of headaches & are barely stable at the advertised speeds due to XMP incompatibilities with the AMD boards.

A lot of people recommended pretty good builds but this is by far my favorite so far.

Just some general tips to the OP, avoid Gigabyte & XFX 7970s as they are voltage locked & loud under load.

Really good 7970s to go by are the HIS IceQ X², Sapphire Dual-X & MSI Twinfrozr II those have unlocked voltage control & very quiet coolers, the HIS & Sapphire being the quietest of the bunch.

If you want PCIe 3.0 you might want to consider the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 GEN3, I personally believe that it's not necessary PCIe 2.0 is plenty fast.

I would also recommend an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 board over the Gigabyte UD5 for a slightly larger feature-set, a superior UEFI BIOS implementation & higher speed memory support especially when all 4 dimms are occupied.

Lastly, I would highly advise you to pick RAM out of the supported list of the motherboard maker, I've made the mistake of thinking ram is ram & bought a couple of corsair 1600mhz modules that were not supported by the board (990FX Sabertooth + FX 8320) which gave me a ton of headaches & are barely stable at the advertised speeds due to XMP incompatibilities with the AMD boards.

Thanks man, didn't really think about the ram that much since I have had some success in the past. I was considering the HIS and Sapphire cards and Sapphire has a 6gb card also :)

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

OpenCL is the way to go.  AMD's OpenCL performance absolutely smokes both Nvidia's CUDA/OpenCl performance.  There is no comparison between them.  Of course if you go AMD you will have to use programs that have support for OpenCl, which most do or are currently working on supporting it. CUDA has had more support in the past, but Nvidia seems to be losing steam among vendors has everyone adopts the OpenCl standard. 

The 7990 is a great card, but if I were you I'd wait for the 9000 series to drop.  Will be easier to cool and you wouldn't have to worry about any Crossfire issues.  Besides I am not sure most video editing programs that are OpenCl accelerated can even take advantage of more than one GPU unit.  In that case a 9000 series card would easily prove faster, cooler, and more upgradable.

Not to mention the power consumption, which you honestly shouldn't care about. 

Hopefully the 9000 series cards come out before bf4

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Thanks man, didn't really think about the ram that much since I have had some success in the past. I was considering the HIS and Sapphire cards and Sapphire has a 6gb card also :)

Just so you know, the 6GB is really just 2 x 3GB meaning 3GB of effective ram.

i7 walks away with this one.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

55332.png

55333.png

55334.png

55335.png

55336.png

55337.png

55339.png

55340.png

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Just so you know, the 6GB is really just 2 x 3GB meaning 3GB of effective ram.

But the 3gb is on one card and not through crossfire. Shouldn't that make it 6gb effective ram.

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

But the 3gb is on one card and not through crossfire. Shouldn't that make it 6gb effective ram.

No. The data is mirrored on the ram.