HAMR got delayed .....

qwertywarrior

i guess HAMR is tricky to implement .helium and SMR drives for now

We had hoped to see Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording sometime in 2017 but that goal has proved to be optimistic and 2018 is now the current expectation for its arrival.  This technology will allow storage densities higher than 1.5 Tb/in2 but is not quite ready for primetime at the moment.

"Unfortunately the hard disk drive industry is not ready to go live with Heat-assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR). The technology is yet not reliable enough for mass production. Over the years, producers of hard drives, platters and recording heads have revealed various possible timeframes for commercial availability of drives with HAMR technology. Their predictions were not accurate."

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/HAMR-strike-delayed-until-2018

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They should start setting realistic time tables and then we can all be pleasantly surprised by them either being on time or early. -_-

Manipulating magnets with heat will indeed be difficult (I actually scoffed at the idea when it was announced). The acceptable range of heat for this technology has a very limited temperature range to function properly, so there will likely be a lot of setbacks before a viable product is made, and even then these drive will likely have more limited lifespans.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Yeah would be bad if it's not reliable and got released. Either way I'll try to stick with SSDs storage mainly and probably large HDD archive.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |