Sam Smith vs Radiohead. Why Sam Smith's version works with Spectre.

So I seen Spectre. And I absolutely fell in love with the opening song, by Sam Smith named " Writing's on the wall " 

During the movie it made sense and not to mention the 007 Daniel Craig has been playing as. It made perfect sense on how this opening song meant and how it contributed who 007 is a spy but also falls in love with certain women and actually wants a genuine relationship and not simple quick booty calls.  Lets dissect the lyrics and how they contribute to the movie and who 007 is. 

I've been here before                                                                      
But always hit the floor

- Basically him always doing the same thing in every movie. Loving women, having lots of sex, action, saving the day and world from crazy people.

I've spent a lifetime running
And I always get away 

- This shows how 007 is basically a spy. Always on the running from both danger and life in general. He's a spy a person who is get information and help save the day.

But with you I'm feeling something
That makes me want to stay

- This shows how 007 even as a spy. Who genuinely wants to feel love. But can't because he's a spy and if he does fall in love which he does they are always used against him. Not to mention every girl he does genuinely loves dies. 

I'm prepared for this
I never shoot to miss

- Basically he's always used to death happening to the women he genuinely loves. Or due to the fact he has a license to kill meaning he never ever misses when bring down a crime syndicate or criminals. 

But I feel like a storm is coming
If I'm gonna make it through the day
Then there's no more use in running
This is something I gotta face

- Eventually he's got to take down the boss pretty much. Or the leader of organized crime. Meaning eventually he can't just simply keep stopping his or foiling his plans. He's got to kill and face up to the leader. 

If I risk it all
Could you break my fall?

- Meaning if he risks everything on the table. Can the women he eventually loves and cares for help put him at ease.

How do I live? How do I breathe?
When you're not here I'm suffocating
I want to feel love, run through my blood
Tell me is this where I give it all up?
For you I have to risk it all
Cause the writing's on the wall

- Meaning what else can he do? What else can he do in his life besides kill? How does he go on living when he doesn't have anything to do or save?  He feels like he's dying when he's not in love.  Also talking about what can he do to give up his way of life of being a man licensed to kill

A million shards of glass
That haunt me from my past
As the stars begin to gather
And the light begins to fade
When all hope begins to shatter
Know that I won't be afraid

- Speaks about how all the people he's killed or murdered or events still traumatize him. The light is speaking about basically hope. Showing that even in the most impossible situation he won't ever give up. 

If I risk it all
Could you break my fall?

- Same as above 

The writing's on the wall

Now people have been speaking that Radiohead's opening theme they made should've stayed. However in my personal opinion while it does related to the movie to some extent it doesn't show or represent who Bond is as a whole or during the movie and his life as an agent. 

I'm lost, I'm a ghost
Dispossessed, taken host
My hunger burns a bullet hole

- speaking about how he as  spy is meant to never be found out but he always is. And his love for action and killing is burning him on the inside, which is a bullet hole meaning he wants to kill ( But we never see that he enjoys killing persay) 

A spectre of my mortal soul
These rumors and suspicion
Anger is a poison

- Speaking about he's a mere shell of who he used to be as a young boy. ( If you didn't know his parents died making him an orphan, meaning he lost his young self and how he was made into a spy. Because Orphans make the best spies if you didn't know )   The rumors and suspicion part speaking about him during the movie and how everyone thinks he's going out of control. Which makes him angry because he's truly doing something to help. 

The only truth that I could see
Is when you put your lips to me

- Showing how when he kisses a women he sees love eventually with some women. 

Futures tricked by the past
Spectre, how he laughs

- This represents on how his futures were essentially setup due to the past. Leading up to this movie and Spectre who you learn is basically 
Basically the guy who made the plans of every past villain. And made him suffer by killing those he loved.

Fear puts a spell on us
Always second-guessing love

- Showing how should Bond truly fall in love with a women or love in general. With the fear of him losing said women. 

My hunger burns a bullet hole
A spectre of my mortal soul

- Same as above

The only truth that I can see
Spectre has come for me

- Showing how finally the Big bad behind everything in this movie. Is finally showing his face and coming after Bond. 

While I do think the Radiohead's opening theme makes some sense to me it doesn't give enough of what bond is about and his journey throughout his life and the movie series. And the movie in general. So that is why I think Sam Smith's opening was perfect and I mean the people choose his version probably because the reason I said. It gives insight on who bond is, what he's done in the previous movies and what he's also going to do in this movie. 

So yea what do you guys think? Also thanks for reading this entire thing. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

the previous Bond Music is better than Writing's on The Wall. like miles better, the old one has some Agent Vibes in it, while in this, it's just some Romantic Pop song.

but this is my opinion.

Holy wall of text Batman!

At least you are passionate about this...

yesh :P

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I would say that you have gone way too deep into this. The James Bond theme songs have always been more about musical feel than lyrics. 

Not to say that you didn't to a good job, you certainly did, but I just don't think the lyrics are that important. Not to the audience nor to the producers of the movie. 

The producers probably chose the Sam Smith song becuase of Sam Smith's current popularity and because he actually has a voice that goes somewhat well with the old school crooner sound. 

Personally, I don't really care for either song. The Sam Smith song sounds way too much like Adele's theme for Skyfall, and it just comes off as a cheap copy of that. 

When I listen to Writing's On the Wall I'm only reminded of how much I need to listen to Adele.

The Radiohead song just sounds like Radiohead. It sounds weird just for the sake of being weird. 

That has it time and place, but a Bond movie is neither the time nor the place.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

OK just some disclaimers before I comment:

• If I had first seen Spectre with the Radio Head version of the instead of Sam Smith's version I might be biased towards one and not the other.
  • I don't know Radio Head other than that they are related to music somehow.  I'm not that into modern music, preferring classical composers.  Though I do enjoy certain pop, classic rock, R&B, etc. from time to time, but again 98% of what I like are approximately pre-1995.  I cannot stand Rap and Hip-hop, and in their regards I will take note from the Nazis and do NOT consider them in any way music.

But after listening to Sam Smith's and Radio Head's version of the intro for Spectre and knowing that Spectre pays homage to several previous Bond movies, I think the Sam Smith version shares similarities with some previous Bond movies' intro songs.  I am not saying the Radio Head version is bad.  I believe it's mostly personal preference and those who produced the film might have thought the same.

Here's a playlist of James Bond theme songs

https://youtu.be/E-IDfoZuQLM?list=PLD4A8sYoLfVckUYSDMdFUeMSJO0DCIGPt

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I watched the movie in the theaters. I literally forgot what happens.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

LOL!!!!  

it's funny that I don't know what to feel about Spectre.   I like it and hate it at the same time.   As much as I like Christopher Waltz, he was badly miscast as the head of Spectre.  He didn't have enough gravitas to pull off that role.    The movie as a whole felt rushed.

Skyfall on the other hand,  aside the interactions between Bond and M,  I loathed every second of it.   I might end up loathing Spectre as well down the road.

Thank God! Daniel Craig won't be coming back as 007.   I hope the next actor is more suited to play the role.

snip

I think Christoph Waltz is a good actor and suitable for playing a villain, but the people who wrote the script and produced Spectre did a bad job in re-creating/introducing Blofeld.

Spectre has two good actors capable of playing evil villians/masterminds on their own, not including Fiennes, and I felt neither got the screen time or the characters they deserved.

Additionally, seeing that Spectre could be Craig's last role as Bond I think the producers didn't want to end it on a note where Blofeld was not brought to justice with this movie.  Though I'm sure Blofeld cound appear as the main enemy in a future move, I think they didn't want to leave it on a, shall I say, cliffhanger.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer