Is it ok to upgrade?

williamyeow

Hi all, 

Need some comments on upgrading my PC which i bought in Feb 2013. Primary use is gaming and web browsing. I plan to just change my GPU to ASUS GTX 980TI Strix (SGD$1199) and monitor to a Asus Predator x34 QHD 21:9 monitor screen (SGD$1499).PC is in stock condition, did not try any overclocking due. 

Not a hardcore gamer, but really like ultra high detail graphics and just max out game settings without any 2nd thoughts. After some research online, going 4k seems only possible if you SLI 980TI or Titan X (Max out settings but still with some questionable FPS). 1440p seems like the best option for higher definition gaming at the moment. i am very used to multi monitor display as i have 4 monitor set up in my workplace, but personally 1 would prefer 1 ultra wide monitor set up instead. 

Any other parts i should consider changing? For example,  someone told me that there PSU will have leakage after 2 years and should consider upgrading as well, i don't really buy this story as it seems more like a sales set up. 

Location (Singapore)

Current Specs

Coolermaster Cm Storm Trooper - Gaming Enthusiast Case

I5-3570K (3.4Ghz) 6Mb Cache
Asus® Maximus V Gene: M-Atx, Intel Z77 Rog Motherboard
16Gb Kingston Hyper-X Genesis Dual-Ddr3 1600Mhz, X.M.P (4 X4Gb Kit)
2Gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 (Parlit)
240Gb Kingston Hyperx 3K Ssd, Sata 6 Gb/S (Upto 555Mb/Sr |510Mb/Sw)
2Tb Wd Caviar Black Wd2002Faex, Sata 6 Gb/S, 64Mb Cache(7200Rpm)
1St Dvd/Blu-Ray Drive 12X Blu-Ray Writer Drive, 16X Dvd ±R/±Rw
Corsair 850W Enthusiast Series™ Tx850 V2-80 Plus® Bronze
Super Quiet 22Dba Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel Cpu Cooler
Windows 10 (free upgrade from my windows 7 64 bit)
21 inch LG Monitor. 

Current Games in my System

Battlefield 3 

Skyrim 

Diablo 3 (ROS)

Hearthstone

Starcraft (LOTV)

Heroes of the Storm

Sims City

City Skyline

Sims 4

Watchdogs

Shadow of Mordor

Need for Speed Most Wanted

King of Fighters 2013

Did not buy popular tittles like Whitcher 3, Far Cry4, Battlefield 4 and etc as i don't want to be disappointed with the game because i would have to settle for lower graphic details and performance (For example , watchdogs)

You system seems good the only thing I would upgrade with the GPU is the cpu and motherboard. Going with a new skylake processor will be beneficial. A 6700k should do fine. Also your PSU should be fine.   Also the ram needs to be changed to DDR4. (and a CPU cooler) 

If you don't want to change the ram than upgrading to a 4790k will do as well. As there is only a modest 15% increase in performance. Between the 6700k and 4790k

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Thanks for the speedy reply... Can you help to explain further on the benefits of switching the mobo and cpu to skylake? i know my 3rd gen is rather old, but to change all the parts at a go is is slightly costly and would wonder whether is it really worth it.

Ideally, my plan is to survive with the 980TI for anohter 2-3 years and change the entire set up. Pascal and Volta should be easily affordable and hopfeully 4k display/content will be better/cheaper and widely accessible as well.

Hey there, do you have a budget in mind currently?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hi there, probably 3k sgd. The monitor really eats up a lot of the budget. I figured that changing the mobo, cpu and ram is like getting an entire new PC and seems like a bit wasteful. I probably game like 2 to 4 hrs a week only. most of the time would be just watching youtube, some movies and online videos. 

Hi there, probably 3k sgd. The monitor really eats up a lot of the budget. I figured that changing the mobo, cpu and ram is like getting an entire new PC and seems like a bit wasteful. I probably game like 2 to 4 hrs a week only. most of the time would be just watching youtube, some movies and online videos. 

Yeah, you're right. A 3570K will still hold well against something like a 4790K. The only thing I've really changed is the PSU because I dislike Corsair ones around that wattage:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card  ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Kingston Hyper-X Genesis Dual-DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB 
Total: $735.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 22:33 EST-0500

Any Seasonic or XFX brand will do. This should still be within your budget.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder