Fast Boot vs Ultra Fast Boot

AresKrieger
Go to solution Solved by deviant88,

Dont use Ultra fast boot the difference is like 0.5 seconds and if you need to change anything in bios you wont be able to press delete during boot and enter UEFI bios setup to change anything use Fast boot , only works with windows 8/8.1 and 10 while you have compatibility settings off so the video card can boot in UEFI mode if it supports such a feature(new graphic cards do).

In your case you should be able to use neither fast or ultra fast because you have windows 7, and also windows 7 does not support graphics card UEFI boot either.

So forget about it until you change OS to win 8 or 10.

I was looking through my bios settings to set fast boot (as I finally have my computer exactly the way I want it) but noticed 2 options fast and ultra fast boot I then looked online to see what the deal was and found quite a bit of vague and some conflicting information so I figured might as well ask here.

1. How much faster is Ultra fast vs fast boot (if any)

2. What are the hardware requirements (like do any components disable use of ultra fast)

3. Are there any software requirements (the only thing I could find is that windows 8 supports it I have 7 so that means nothing to me)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Fast boot requires the system to be installed in UEFI mode which isn't supported by Windows 7. Unless your running 8 or higher you cannot use it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Whats your motherboard, and do you have a SSD?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

I was looking through my bios settings to set fast boot (as I finally have my computer exactly the way I want it) but noticed 2 options fast and ultra fast boot I then looked online to see what the deal was and found quite a bit of vague and some conflicting information so I figured might as well ask here.

1. How much faster is Ultra fast vs fast boot (if any)

2. What are the hardware requirements (like do any components disable use of ultra fast)

3. Are there any software requirements (the only thing I could find is that windows 8 supports it I have 7 so that means nothing to me)

Wrong section. It skips the bios screen, and boots straight into the os? I may be wrong, but someone will give you a better answer.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Why was this in Tech News exactly?

Moved to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wrong section. It skips the bios screen, and boots straight into the os? I may be wrong, but someone will give you a better answer.

Wait urgggg I wasn't in this section I selected general discussion....or atleast I though

Mods please switch

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

What motherboard do you have? "ultra durable z97" is too generic

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yes to both

Yes to the question "What's your motherboard?"?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

What motherboard do you have? "ultra durable z97" is too generic

Yes to the question "What's your motherboard?"?

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97mds3h

From what I gather, ufb skips some usb initialization and other checks to boot straight in the os - you can use it if you are sure everything works, however you may have issues accessing the bion in the future if you use a usb keyboard.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

From what I gather, ufb skips some usb initialization and other checks to boot straight in the os - you can use it if you are sure everything works, however you may have issues accessing the bion in the future if you use a usb keyboard.

Ok thats good to know, I don't have a ps2 keyboard lying around so that would suck, though I do know so windows tricks to get back in

Edited by AresKrieger

Dont use Ultra fast boot the difference is like 0.5 seconds and if you need to change anything in bios you wont be able to press delete during boot and enter UEFI bios setup to change anything use Fast boot , only works with windows 8/8.1 and 10 while you have compatibility settings off so the video card can boot in UEFI mode if it supports such a feature(new graphic cards do).

In your case you should be able to use neither fast or ultra fast because you have windows 7, and also windows 7 does not support graphics card UEFI boot either.

So forget about it until you change OS to win 8 or 10.