Anyone else starting to dislike Valve?

KingKeith55

It seems as if they try so hard, and get so far. But in the end, it doesn't matter anymore because everything they do is untested by anyone, and they just roll out updates and say it's fine. They don't even see the consequences of it either. (see what I did there?)

Have you seen the latest updates for their games? Most notably, CS:GO's revolver?

In fact in the past year I noticed everything they did to their games wasn't very great. Some of it was not bad or alright, but most of it wasn't that great. They don't seem to listen to users that much either, more so listening to the big PC Gaming news sites. As soon as one of them complains, they change it immediately even though users complain for the past few weeks. 

Remember the Skyrim paid mods issue? People complained for ages over it, and it wasn't until almost all of the modders in the community and the gaming news sites started to say anything that they did something. It's just to show that they really aren't in their right minds anymore, because lately it's been bad decision after bad decision.

Meanwhile EA is getting much better, in my opinion. And in fact I respect them more than Valve right now. 

And with all the controversy around Escrow, I think I need to give my opinion on this:

New escrow thing? They're doing it just for those stupid kids who fall for scams and loose their $500 inventory and whine to steam support. If steam support wasn't so bad, and valve listened to the majority (not just the annoying kids who don't think before they run something they downloaded from a link or don't think before accepting a trade), then this wouldn't be implemented.

The reason they didn't refund items is people used to say they got scammed and dupe items (usually with CS:GO). Would be easier if they only allowed steam support tickets/reports to be filed during the week period that the item can't be traded again for. This way they could restore people's stolen items without people duping them, everyone's happy.

There's no point suggesting anything to them, they don't listen. A lot of people suggested things like what I am saying, and valve completely ignored it.

Valve aren't the main developers of CS GO.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So in short, you prefer origin > steam.

Stop being so melodramatic. FYI, origin is shit in comparison.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Valve aren't the main developers of CS GO.

They do all the updates. Hidden path only made the first release of the game.

Two developer companies for CS:GO -

Valve

Hidden Path Entertainment.

I personally don't play really any games from valve, so I don't notice changes in them, though I do have Gmod and I also have Left 4 Dead 2, I just don't play them often.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So in short, you prefer origin > steam. Many people prefer the latter, though.

Steam is better, just origin has far better support and such it seems. Steam feels broke, and has had a surge of really bad updates. No choice but to use it because it is superior.

Only thing that bugs me about Valve is how Steam actually routinely goes down for maintenance, like it was 1992 or something...  when was the last time you remember any major site like Google going down!?  there is just no legitimate reason for it to happen; you have 2 (or more) servers, upgrade one, switch, then upgrade the other. done. this is 101 people

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Valve hires people to do updates for CSGO, which is basically their employees.

I don't think they listen to the community much.

It honestly kind of seems like you in particular have had a bad experience, followed by another bad experience or something, and now you don't like them.

That's perfectly reasonable, but as long as they provide me a near flawless way to play my games and incredible sales to binge on during specific times of the year, you're never going to convince me that they're as bad as it seems you're trying to make them sound.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Wouldn't say dislike but they do seem a bit more complacent these days focusing less on what's best for the customer (because they have them all)/community and more on what's best for their bottom line.

Still a long shot from being as crappy as EA, I mean Origin has definitely come a long way and is actually a decent platform now, to the point where it could probably trade blows with Steam, some things favouring one, some the other but EA are just murdering fantastic game IPs left, right and centre.

Only thing that bugs me about Valve is how Steam actually routinely goes down for maintenance, like it was 1992 or something... when was the last time you remember any major site like Google going down!? there is just no legitimate reason for it to happen; you have 2 (or more) servers, upgrade one, switch, then upgrade the other. done. this is 101 people

They find the worst times to do it too, that's the only thing I have an issue with. It's when a ton of people are ingame or online and then the item server goes down or steam goes down when you're trying to play.

nope, plenty happy to keep giving them money, done no wrong by me.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It honestly kind of seems like you in particular have had a bad experience, followed by another bad experience or something, and now you don't like them.

That's perfectly reasonable, but as long as they provide me a near flawless way to play my games and incredible sales to binge on during specific times of the year, you're never going to convince me that they're as bad as it seems you're trying to make them sound.

I used to be a huge valve fanboy, but now I'm starting to not respect them as much because in all honesty they need to get their act together.

They built up a reputation years ago that doesn't apply to them as much anymore. Maybe I just expect too much from them.

Wouldn't say dislike but they do seem a bit more complacent these days focusing less on what's best for the customer (because they have them all)/community and more on what's best for their bottom line.

Still a long shot from being as crappy as EA, I mean Origin has definitely come a long way and is actually a decent platform now, to the point where it could probably trade blows with Steam, some things favouring one, some the other but EA are just murdering fantastic game IPs left, right and centre.

Im talking about the platforms, not games. Besides, valve doesn't release new titles anymore. If you know what I mean.

Sometimes Valve does questionable things. But then I see a game I want on sale for 80% off and everything is ok.

For the most part though they are an honorable company. Certainly better than 90% of game devs (even though they are barely a dev anymore)

atleast theres bf4

True. That's about all they have going for them. I've yet to install origin because I see no point.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

True. That's about all they have going for them. I've yet to install origin because I see no point.

Right. And the massive army of Sims players should also be noted.

1) It seems as if they try so hard, and get so far. But in the end, it doesn't matter anymore because everything they do is untested by anyone, and they just roll out updates and say it's fine. They don't even see the consequences of it either. (see what I did there?)

Have you seen the latest updates for their games? Most notably, CS:GO's revolver?

2) In fact in the past year I noticed everything they did to their games wasn't very great. Some of it was not bad or alright, but most of it wasn't that great. They don't seem to listen to users that much either, more so listening to the big PC Gaming news sites. As soon as one of them complains, they change it immediately even though users complain for the past few weeks. 

Remember the Skyrim paid mods issue? People complained for ages over it, and it wasn't until almost all of the modders in the community and the gaming news sites started to say anything that they did something. It's just to show that they really aren't in their right minds anymore, because lately it's been bad decision after bad decision.

3) There's no point suggesting anything to them, they don't listen. A lot of people suggested things like what I am saying, and valve completely ignored it.

1) what is "everything" ? probably just a few things that stand out to you while all the underlying improvements go unnoticed

and if it went untested then it wouldnt even work at all, because if you dont test code then it wont even run 99% of the time

so clearly you're wrong about them not testing anything

2) i hope you understand how long it takes for a change to be approved on multiple authority levels in a huge corporation

it literally takes weeks for changes to get through, approved, and then made to the actual product

maybe the entire time the users were complaining they were having meeting and discussing options and by the time the news sites got to it was when they began rolling out changes?

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING?? probably not, since you dont work there.

3) there is a difference between "ignoring" and "not going to do it"

they probably have reasons why certain requests are not done

again, you don't work there, so yo dont know anything

clearly they do see all the requests, and the ones they agree with are actually implemented

not everything users request happens because users do not know anything about the inner workings of the actual corporation

4) TL;DR you're reasons are very few, highly specific cases, with no proof to back up your claims about them "not testing anything" or "ignoring requests", and you dont work at valve so you dont know the reasons why some stuff is done and other stuff isn't. 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ive lost some hope in valve. from what they do with steam. it does feel like they half ass things some times. even in tf2. they will get the community to make the updates. which im fine with. gets the community involve. but valve doesnt do much either. maybe they have big plans. but they are very restrictive on what goes into tf2 thats just not a reskin. at this point tf2 is just a reskin factory. with the current update they had today. bunch of weapon changes, but guess what. a butt ton of reskins too. i miss the good ol days where the update isnt out till after all 3 or so days of hype like in the past

i dont play cs:go, dota 2. or really any other valve games. i love portal/portal 2. but its not like they keep those games updated with fresh content. its all community made crap after you beat the story line. but i do watch cs:go videos here and there. i saw one about the revovler. and i agree. 

as for paid mods and escrow. the idea of paid mods is great. people put their time and hard work in making mods, and dont get much from it. yeah, its not a job, but its a place to get better and grow as a modder. it'd be nice to get something in return. but from what i heard, the mod makers got jack shit from all of it while valve or other companies got a handful of cash. valve just did it the wrong way.

escrow was a great idea too, but valve did it the wrong way. people are falling for scams/phishers/hackers cause sometimes those people didnt know what was going on. they were never educated about how scams/phishing/hackers work and did their job. i fell for a phisher attempt back when i was new at steam. i didnt know what was going on, but when i saw i got kicked out of my account. i did know that going to support might help, so i did and i got everything fixed. didnt lose anything

but people might not know how it works, so they fall for it. so valve should try to educated steam users on how to advoid them, how to report them. if valve did an mandatory event on how it works. and if people choose to click i accept, i know what to do and how to do it. THEN its up to the user to not get caught in a scam/phish.ect. even then. if they still wanted to put in a program. i heard someone talk about a clever idea. and ofc valve should put time into getting their userbase to learn said progam. it was have certain items just have a trade lock. i would never trade my expensive items ever, if i did want to, give me a week to undo it. plenty of time to change my mind and what not. though that still effects the heavy traders that trades $100's of items daily/weekly. so then you can maybe have a steam mobile authincator. if you're rich enough in tf2 to be trading $100's of items weekly, then stop being fucking greedy and get a cheap, basic smartphone ya fuckers.

but no, they force everyone to use a system that effects alot of people. 

anywho, rant its over. i dont have valve, they have done great things, and ill stick with steam for the time being, but i wont support them as much as i used to in the past.

1) what is "everything" ? probably just a few things that stand out to you while all the underlying improvements go unnoticed

and if it went untested then it wouldnt even work at all, because if you dont test code then it wont even run 99% of the time

so clearly you're wrong about them not testing anything

2) i hope you understand how long it takes for a change to be approved on multiple authority levels in a huge corporation

it literally takes weeks for changes to get through, approved, and then made to the actual product

maybe the entire time the users were complaining they were having meeting and discussing options and by the time the news sites got to it was when they began rolling out changes?

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING?? probably not, since you dont work there.

3) there is a difference between "ignoring" and "not going to do it"

they probably have reasons why certain requests are not done

again, you don't work there, so yo dont know anything

clearly they do see all the requests, and the ones they agree with are actually implemented

not everything users request happens because users do not know anything about the inner workings of the actual corporation

4) TL;DR you're reasons are very few, highly specific cases, with no proof to back up your claims about them "not testing anything" or "ignoring requests", and you dont work at valve so you dont know the reasons why some stuff is done and other stuff isn't.

" publicly acknowledging what they need to fix "

They used to do it a lot, now they don't. We don't know if it really takes that long. Valve is a very unique business and operation in how it works, far from conventional. Therefore everything you said has no backing proof. Not saying you're entirely wrong though.

You contradicted yourself, because you don't work there either.

The way they run as a company isnt all that efficient, and its the reason support sucks. No one wants to work in support

Also, no shit sherlock they test the code. I'm talking about in game and how it would be in actual gameplay.