Is there a notable difference if i put my os on a SSD

GeorgeKellow

BIG difference. Very big.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

From settings like hibernate and boot ups, and general applications? oh yeah

On an HDD opening devices and printers takes way too long.

For windows 10 and simple boot ups? yes, but less of an impact than say windows 7 on an SSD.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Yes a massive difference. Your PC will boot quicker and nothing will lag at all.

Its one of the main reasons people buy an SSD in the first place (to have the OS on it)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You will see a huge difference in every aspect. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

You can see a massive difference in speed.

Faster boot time.

Faster game load.

Faster application load.

Faster write/read.

Faster everything.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

In case you missed it...

Faster in every way, and VERY VERY noticeable in every day tasks.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Is there tools where I can move my os accross? Do you recommending backing it up before hand> 

Is there tools where I can move my os accross? Do you recommending backing it up before hand> 

I would heavily recommend clean installing windows if you can though.

You can clone the drive using tools though.

I would heavily recommend clean installing windows if you can though.

You can clone the drive using tools though.

Why clean install it? 

Why clean install it? 

The biggest reason is that an old cluttered OS install can become bogged down and slow over time. Doing a clean install will ensure you get a clean, fresh, fast install, with no corrupted drivers, system files, clogged registry entries, a million extra startup items, etc.

If your existing OS is very clean, you can probably get away with cloning it, but a fresh install is always ideal.

If you want to clone the HDD to SSD, you should use a cloning tool, such as:

Macrium Reflect

EaseUS Disk Copy Home

CloneZilla (Not recommended if the SSD is smaller than the HDD)

Acronis True Image

etc

Some SSD's actually come with cloning software bundled with them (Samsung, for example). Also, if the HDD is a Western Digital branded one, you get access to a limited feature free version of Acronis True Image.

Personally, I recommend EaseUS Disk Copy Home, since it's incredibly easy to use, and you can create a bootable USB to perform the cloning.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The biggest reason is that an old cluttered OS install can become bogged down and slow over time. Doing a clean install will ensure you get a clean, fresh, fast install, with no corrupted drivers, system files, clogged registry entries, a million extra startup items, etc.

If your existing OS is very clean, you can probably get away with cloning it, but a fresh install is always ideal.

If you want to clone the HDD to SSD, you should use a cloning tool, such as:

Macrium Reflect

EaseUS Disk Copy Home

CloneZilla (Not recommended if the SSD is smaller than the HDD)

Acronis True Image

etc

Some SSD's actually come with cloning software bundled with them (Samsung, for example). Also, if the HDD is a Western Digital branded one, you get access to a limited feature free version of Acronis True Image.

Personally, I recommend EaseUS Disk Copy Home, since it's incredibly easy to use, and you can create a bootable USB to perform the cloning.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

Sorry for the late reply, I had to sleep xD How do you do a fresh install though? thanks for the advice! 

Fresh install...using a DVD or USB.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

~snip~

Hey there GeorgeKellow,

SSDs have instant access times and much greater transfer speeds. When the OS is put on a SSD it loads much faster, the overall responsiveness and performance of the computer improves dramatically and the transfer speeds increase significantly. I'd say putting the OS and your most demanding applications on a SSD is a great plan. 

Regarding the migration of the OS I would also suggest doing a fresh install as this would be the most problem-free way. Cloning your old OS partition might enable the SSD to be seen by the system as a HDD and thus miss out on important features such as TRIM and be susceptible to defragmentation which can degrade the SSD's lifespan. :)

Feel free to ask if you have other questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

It will create hell of a difference. Windows and programmes will lead alot faster