Need to know if my Mobo can drive a pair of Fostex T50RP (V1)

Infernalz

Headphones: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-version-1/

(will also be using an adapter: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/customization-and-accessories/14-to-18-6-5mm-to-3-5mm-adapter/ )

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130801

I had asked about this over a year ago but in that time I've gotten a new computer and am again looking for some real headphones and have pretty much settled on these. The first time I asked it came down to my relic of a motherboard would not have been able to drive these so I'm hoping my new one will, especially since I can't afford any good amp for the time being. I don't really know any specifics when it comes to this kind of thing so I had no idea on how I could have answered this for my self so I thought it best to ask here.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have that same mobo, and ive tried to run headphones through it and many have worked on it. They will work just fine but be careful wiring that mobo cuz if you do it wrong even by a little you can hear buzzing.

Probably not, but you won't know unless you try.  Planar headphones are known as being difficult to drive.

"Can my motherboard drive X headphone" isn't a question because you can answer that yourself.

"What amp should I get" is a question, but there isn't any point in asking it until you answer the first question.

I have that same mobo, and ive tried to run headphones through it and many have worked on it. They will work just fine but be careful wiring that mobo cuz if you do it wrong even by a little you can hear buzzing.

I'm guessing when wiring the power mainly? Either way that's a good point so I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks.

Probably not, but you won't know unless you try.  Planar headphones are known as being difficult to drive.

I mean I'd kind of like an idea if this is a purchase that would actually work before I buy them, and I've no idea on what 'planar' headphones are so that's kind of why I'm here.

"Can my motherboard drive X headphone" isn't a question because you can answer that yourself.

"What amp should I get" is a question, but there isn't any point in asking it until you answer the first question.

But I actually have no idea if my motherboard CAN run these headphones, or anything that needs real power for that matter. Not something I can answer my self either since I don't know if I need to find some power rating the motherboard can push to headphones or what these headphones need in terms of power.

As for an amp I hope to eventually get their amp+dac but there's no way I could afford another $300 right now so that's why I'm looking if this motherboard can run the headphones and not leave them starved in the mean time.

But I actually have no idea if my motherboard CAN run these headphones, or anything that needs real power for that matter. Not something I can answer my self either since I don't know if I need to find some power rating the motherboard can push to headphones or what these headphones need in terms of power.

As for an amp I hope to eventually get their amp+dac but there's no way I could afford another $300 right now so that's why I'm looking if this motherboard can run the headphones and not leave them starved in the mean time.

You're not making sense.

Get the headphones. If they end up needing an amp, use them anyway and save up for a Schiit Magni 2 which is an affordable $100. If they don't end up needing an amp, you're done.

Planar magnetic drivers (sometimes called orthodynamic) work differently from the drivers in most headphones (which are called dynamic drivers).  They also tend to be more difficult to drive than most.  I would count on needing an amp for those headphones.

You're not making sense.

Get the headphones. If they end up needing an amp, use them anyway and save up for a Schiit Magni 2 which is an affordable $100. If they don't end up needing an amp, you're done.

Any idea on what these (or any headphones that need real power) would sound like with just plugging in a motherboard? That's what I'm trying to get at I suppose, if these would be basically unusable without an amp driving them and not worth it without buying an amp along side it. I would guess another problem could be not having enough power to have better volume, especially through some of the mods done, but really anything would have to be better than the old pair of ipod eadbuds I've had to use.

I don't mean to be difficult though and do want to sincerely thank you for the help.

Any idea on what these (or any headphones that need real power) would sound like with just plugging in a motherboard? That's what I'm trying to get at I suppose, if these would be basically unusable without an amp driving them and not worth it without buying an amp along side it. I would guess another problem could be not having enough power to have better volume, especially through some of the mods done, but really anything would have to be better than the old pair of ipod eadbuds I've had to use.

I don't mean to be difficult though and do want to sincerely thank you for the help.

Worst case scenario, they just don't get loud enough. They could also clip, due to insufficient current - this would be slightly less noticeable and happen during the loudest parts of a track with the volume up. Bass will generally clip first since THD is higher there in most audio devices, and bass notes have a longer duration. It will be fairly obvious if this is happening.

Other, more pernicious issues; rolled-off bass due to crummy capacitor-coupled motherboard audio out; general craptastic, flat sound with little detail. The thing to keep in mind with these lesser kinds of issues is that no matter how bad your motherboard is, these headphones will sound better than what you're using currently.

All headphones will work with anything.

As SSL says, get your headphones first, then if you feel it is not loud enough, you can get an amplifier later.

The T50RPs are pretty inefficient, but they will "work" off of your motherboard, just won't get loud enough. I was able to power mine with no problem with a Micca OriGen.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Planar magnetic drivers (sometimes called orthodynamic) work differently from the drivers in most headphones (which are called dynamic drivers).  They also tend to be more difficult to drive than most.  I would count on needing an amp for those headphones.

Not really. The early-ish Hifiman series headphones like the HE-500 line were pretty insensitive, but Audeze, MrSpeakers, even Hifiman themselves have made really, really sensitive headphones that they are essentially Fidelio X2's that have a really high sensitivity that they can be driven off of mobile devices.

The T50RPs are pretty inefficient, but they will "work" off of your motherboard, just won't get loud enough. I was able to power mine with no problem with a Micca OriGen.

Well, there's a difference between being able to drive the headphone or not. The K612 Pro is insensitive enough that you'll hear distortion first before getting to your preferred loudness/volume setting. The T50RP's aren't terribly hard to drive.

OP, better that you get them first and hear it for yourself.

AMD VS Nvidia = A lost mail man that will do whatever it takes to give you your mail... despite being a few days late... and never realizing that the house that the mail is for was pretty much the first house he started from VS A well dressed, well groomed, well cleaned, and cologned-up donger that just wiggles itself and is the type of guy that makes after-parties a nightmare. Basically its: An idiot that tries VS a jerk that ruins every after-party. Pick your poison.