Amd Cpu - Usage

Jamisbrill
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

So buy into a new cooler or new mobo ?

(which first)  -Thanks

motherboard, if this one fail your CPU has like a good 50-50% chances of dying with it...and you can't even use it for any prolonged loads or the CPU will always trottle...what you have there is an unuseable kit unless you undervolt and underclock the CPU to the point where it will not trottle anymore.

You're not the first, most people going AMD FX are people who want the ''bang for the buck'' deal of the year and they do no research neither on what is required to properly run such power hungry CPU's and/or the performance they can realisticly get out of them and at what cost. So they end up thinking they get a good deal on those outdated ''8 cores'' (!!) and they pair them with cheapest motherboard possible and use the abysmal cpu cooler included in the box and in the end they end up with something that is worst than say a core i3 on a cheap H series motherboard.

That motherboard you have is meant to run a stock FX-4300 for example...not much more than that.

Does your case support ATX sized motherboard? cause if it does not your in deep...no good mATX board can support FX-8350 unfortunately.

my Cpu usage will never  stay at 100% when doing cpu stress test its just goes 'up and down'

How can i get it to stay at 100?

post-242824-0-49279200-1450111757_thumb.

Are the thermals okay? That looks like thermal throttling. Mine would throttle lots before I replaced the stock cooler.

I used to be quite active here.

looks like thermal throttling

use aida64 or hwmonitor or something to monitor your temps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Which CPU is it?

The clock speed on there says 2.97 GHz which looks like thermal throttling to me and its quite a random speed.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

should be thermal throtteling check the cpu temps and VRM temps

my rig ( fx-8370@ 4.6GHz / Nepton 240m/ msi 970 gaming / 16 Gb corsair xms / antec VP700P /  aerocool xpredator x1 white / costum rgb lights / r9 290 direct cu2 / 1 TB hhd/ sandisk 128gb ssd / adata SP900 128gb )

peripherals ( steelseries apex / sharkoon fireglider black / razer goliathus / lg25ub55 )

it's either the CPU itself overheating or your motherboard is too cheap and it's VRM (voltage regulation modules) are overheating so the board has to trottle the CPU down in order to protect itself from frying (my guess: cheap ass motherboard)

For those 4 modules AMD FX power hungry part you need a good strong motherboard with a solid 6 or 8 phase VRM with heatsinks on them...otherwise you're bound to fail.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Which CPU is it?

The clock speed on there says 2.97 GHz which looks like thermal throttling to me and its quite a random speed.

Its an AMD FX 8350. It says in the right top corner and its probably thermal throttling.

Whats the max mobo temp - thanks

you could start by telling us what motherboard you have? then i'll tell you if it's overheating or not :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Mobo    M5A78L-M

yeah that's what i tought that board is one of the worst and it's way too cheap it shouldnt be used with an FX-8350...like, at all.

yeah that's what i tought that board is one of the worst and it's way too cheap it shouldnt be used with an FX-8350...like, at all.

I had an AMD FX 8120 on it and i had the same problem. The 8350 needs more "juice" to run normally 

what sort of price range of motherboard should choose?  -thanks 

cheapest ones that will get you covered would be gigabyte 970A-UD3p, MSI 970 Gaming or Asus M5A97 EVO...you need something with a 6+2 or 8+2 power phase VRM with heatsinks. Now what you have is a 4+1 phase board with no heatsinks what so ever.

Around 100-150 US

cheapest ones that will get you covered would be gigabyte 970A-UD3p, MSI 970 Gaming or Asus M5A97 EVO...you need something with a 6+2 or 8+2 power phase VRM with heatsinks. Now what you have is a 4+1 phase board with no heatsinks what so ever.

Trying to keep calm about the mistakes i made xD

And look up if your CPU, RAM, case is  compatible with the new mobo. 

So buy into a new cooler or new mobo ?

(which first)  -Thanks

motherboard, if this one fail your CPU has like a good 50-50% chances of dying with it...and you can't even use it for any prolonged loads or the CPU will always trottle...what you have there is an unuseable kit unless you undervolt and underclock the CPU to the point where it will not trottle anymore.

You're not the first, most people going AMD FX are people who want the ''bang for the buck'' deal of the year and they do no research neither on what is required to properly run such power hungry CPU's and/or the performance they can realisticly get out of them and at what cost. So they end up thinking they get a good deal on those outdated ''8 cores'' (!!) and they pair them with cheapest motherboard possible and use the abysmal cpu cooler included in the box and in the end they end up with something that is worst than say a core i3 on a cheap H series motherboard.

That motherboard you have is meant to run a stock FX-4300 for example...not much more than that.

Does your case support ATX sized motherboard? cause if it does not your in deep...no good mATX board can support FX-8350 unfortunately.

Don't know how many cheap>non-cheap older gen X4/x6 AM3 boards I've seen with a FX sticker slapped on the box AFTER the board came out, with a bios update..

No doubt not the only one who saw this trend...Supports NEW CPU's, just can't run them properly due to cheap board vrm's and power delivery components.

Some people read the sticker that it "Supports" AMD-FX and thats it........think its a steal.. without actually looking into it further.

Not actually directed at OP's decision.

/In general I saw this more frequently over time...with crappier boards SUDDENLY getting FX support with a bios update but the board still has a 95w limit, when they clearly could not do the job (125w CPU's) for extended uses anyway, but people still use FX8's in them (throttled or dead)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz