AMD vs Intel 8-Core Gaming Platform Showdown

LinusTech

quad cores... there is no dual socket mobo that supports 2x i5...

If it was, intel would sell A LOT less XEONs

not what I meant. I want a value comparison, because this video focused a lot on value.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

not what I meant. I want a value comparison, because this video focused a lot on value.

and in terms of value, you wouldnt be looking at those two. nor a 8350... too pricy

value would be a old ass bulldozer based Opteron, that is "value"... atleast on the AMD side.

but running with a mobo that alone costs more then the intel setup, that is not value.

also, this was a battle between 8-core CPUs.... now one can discuss whether a FX is "8 cores" or not, depending on workload it WILL act as either quad or octa core...

but there is no doubt that regardless of workload, a i5 IS, and forever will be, a QUAD CORE.

Since there is no dual socket LGA 1150 or LGA 1151 boards readily availible. one can conclude that you cannot make a "8 core" comparison with the CPUs you mentioned. And therefore they cannot even be included.

and in terms of value, you wouldnt be looking at those two. nor a 8350... too pricy

value would be a old ass bulldozer based Opteron, that is "value"... atleast on the AMD side.

but running with a mobo that alone costs more then the intel setup, that is not value.

also, this was a battle between 8-core CPUs.... now one can discuss whether a FX is "8 cores" or not, depending on workload it WILL act as either quad or octa core...

but there is no doubt that regardless of workload, a i5 IS, and forever will be, a QUAD CORE.

Since there is no dual socket LGA 1150 or LGA 1151 boards readily availible. one can conclude that you cannot make a "8 core" comparison with the CPUs you mentioned. And therefore they cannot even be included.

I never said it should be entered as an 8 core. It should be added as a baseline cpu to compare those 8 core gaming platforms with a generic gaming platform everyone buys so you could tell how good/bad those two builds are.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I never said it should be entered as an 8 core. It should be added as a baseline cpu to compare those 8 core gaming platforms with a generic gaming platform everyone buys so you could tell how good/bad those two builds are.

the point of the movie, and the original "8 core intel" build was to build a 8 core system.

also, why would you need to compare?

PCGMR has only ONE solid requirement

60FPS @ 1080p

it cannot dip below that goal... If it does. it is not fit as a "main stream" gaming system. We need no other yard stick then this.

60 FPS 1080p

as for the builds. the intel build, give the cost... costs LESS then any of your suggested entries (4460 is around 175 bucks)... and performs pretty equal to a 8350, in most cases.

we know for a fact that a 8350 can, in most cases, keep up -> but not beat, a 4690k (stock vs stock).

we know a 4690k beats a 4460. And should in theory solidly beat, or atleast tie a 6500 due to the improvements in DDR4 RAM speed helping the 6500 along.

Thus we can reason that the intel XEON setup would win any "duel" due to price to performance.

Perhaps, just perhaps. a FX 6300 + 2400MHz RAM + OC to 4.2GHz would produce a similar result to the XEON setup. BUT, it would still cost more, although not that much less then that of the 4460... if you were to go complete "low ball" minimum specs with the 4460.

Didn't you know AMD makes a 130$-140$ 8 "core"? Picking the 160$ model is like upping the server chips to the hundred dollar variants. Dude, FX 8320e. Priced at the FX 6 "core", wattage of the FX 6 "core", but 8 "core" power. 

oh get over it... both dxdiag and windows task manager recognize it as 8 cores

I don't care what windows says they're not 8 cores period. 

"

Lets define what a core is:  A CPU core is a collection of components in a processor used to process code. Its not just the logical processor (the integer core), not just the FPU, not just the decoder, not just the l1 cache not just the l2 cache but all of these components combined is what forms a core.

Modules and cores are very different. This module design is a very old microarchitecture design(1996) and it doesn't work the same way a true core does. The issue with this design is that resources are shared, namely the floating point unit.  The floating point unit is very important for gaming.  So while it does have 8 integer cores/threads, those cores have to share resources for certain tasks, and this causes one core to wait until the other is finished.  Because of this, it is not a true 8 core processor.

A true core 8 core processor is when there is no situation you can present short of disabling cores that will cause even one thread out of eight to have to wait to be processed. Not a single situation. You can't say the same thing about the FX processors. If both threads on a module need the FPU one of the threads will have to wait."

In the pic what does it says about the 4690K 4C 4T which stands for 4 cores 4 threads now look at the FX 8350 it says 4M 8T which stands for 4 modules 8 threads. now have a nice day.

post-17446-0-18327700-1450026976_thumb.p

I don't think I ever heard Luke say if he overclocked the 8350, so I assume he left it stock? That doesn't seem right lol

Not an 8 core 4 modules 8 threads.

It processes with 8 threads, and each core handles a thread. 4 modules, 2 "Cores"/module. 

I used to be quite active here.

Actually if you were going for a cheap $50 AM3+ board then you'd get 4+1 cpu power phases which is kind of bad for FX-8350 or any other 125W FX. Going for FX-8320E which is 95W would be cheaper and more accurate for the cheap AMD comparison here and you'd get within $250 platform cost with that.

This talk about cores, modules, shared parts, etc. reminds me of something I've been wondering about. So apparently the AMD "8"-core CPUs are really 4 modules with some shared resources like FPU and/or l1/l2 cache? Also I see them referenced as "4 modules / 8 threads". How does this, in concept at least, compare or contrast with an Intel quad-core with hyperthreading?

It would have been interesting if they compared AMD's server alongside 

This talk about cores, modules, shared parts, etc. reminds me of something I've been wondering about. So apparently the AMD "8"-core CPUs are really 4 modules with some shared resources like FPU and/or l1/l2 cache? Also I see them referenced as "4 modules / 8 threads". How does this, in concept at least, compare or contrast with an Intel quad-core with hyperthreading?

Its much better on paper.

That is if they had the same core architecture, but Intel is vastly superior in single core performance so in the real world no.

My main question was why are they bench marking at 4k to test CPU? Who is buying the cheapest ANY type of CPU especially sketchy server boards then pairing them with 4k displays? I know 4k is cheaper recently but not THAT cheap. And pairing it with a $500 graphics card? Has Linus tech decided that everyone gave up on making a balanced system? If that's the case why not also benchmark the lowest end current gen CPU you can find like a Pentium G4400?

lets do a ghz for ghz comparison. Ill have a pair of X5470's shortly, 3.33ghz stock and hopefully clockable to 4.0ghz - I will run comparison tests the same as LTT have done.

edit: need to volt mod for 4ghz stable - 3.33ghz  for now

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Was there any problem with the FX8350 on an Crosshair FORMULA IV, since it is a AM3 MBO (not an AM3+)?

saaaanip

my lga771 "server" box, T7400, cost me $120 AUD, plus $100 AUD for a pair of X5470 xeons. at stock speeds, 3.33ghz they are getting over 680CB in Cinebench.

Core2duo - higher IPC than AMD fx-8350. awks

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

You obviously don't know what CMT is. 

i agree he doesnt seem to understand a single thing about CMT.

Also the guy who wrote that wall of text in his post, has obvioulsy no clue either.

Because its totaly nonsense.

FX8 core cpu's have 4 modules with each 2 integer processing cores sharing cache and a 256bit fpu.

Also both of those integer cores have their own FPP.

So no matter how you look at it, a FX8 core cpu has still 8 integer processing cores on the die.

And it can also execute 8 threads simultaneously.

Demonking
You can't say the same thing about the FX processors. If both threads on a module need the FPU one of the threads will have to wait."

Thats not how it works.