looking for a dac/amp for headphones 1k range

LancerBG

I was hoping you guys could help me find some dac/amps for headphones in the 1k u.s. range. Must have usb and optical/toslink, 1/4 inch/6.3mm headphone jack inputs. I was looking at the oppo ha-1 which is super sexy and reviewed very well and also looking at the Schiit Lyr 2 and bifrost combo at about the same price but reviews for the updated combo are not really easy to come by. That 5 years warranty though! Do you guys know of any other dac/amps around that price range that are worth taking a look at and meet my needs? I looked at all the major electronics sites but was hoping you guys might now some boutique brands that I am not aware of. Any tips or info is appreciated. Thanks. 

Oh, just fyi I have been working my way up the dac price scale and yes I do think it's worth it :P

What headphones do you have?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What headphones do you have?

right now I mostly use my HD800 for music and my DT1770 pro's for gaming. I am still playing with a couple other pairs of cans but not sure if I am keeping them. 

right now I mostly use my HD800 for music and my DT1770 pro's for gaming. I am still playing with a couple other pairs of cans but not sure if I am keeping them. 

you probably shouldent be spending as much/more money on your amp/dac than your headphones

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Val-U: Schiit Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber

OR

Crazy: Schiit Valhalla 2 + Bifrost Multibit

you probably shouldent be spending as much/more money on your amp/dac than your headphones

HD800 is pretty endgame, I don't see any reason not go nuts after $1500 is already down the drain.

Call me OCD but I like to spend money on shit I dont need. You sound like my wife now lol. I buy new cans every few months and they just keep getting more and more expensive, same with amps/dacs. It's this or hookers and blow. 

Maybe out of your price range in dollars not to sure, but have you thought about sennhsiers HDV800, its literal designed for the hd800

Call me OCD but I like to spend money on shit I dont need. You sound like my wife now lol. I buy new cans every few months and they just keep getting more and more expensive, same with amps/dacs. It's this or hookers and blow. 

Fuck the headphones hookers and blow!

The Dick of the audio page!

OR

HD800 is pretty endgame, I don't see any reason not go nuts after $1500 is already down the drain.

any reason why you paired the Valhalla with the bifrost? I just paired the way I did based on stacking size. 

OR

1100$ now http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA

But yeah, I see your point.

Good luck upgrading hd800.

But I get you

OR

I agree but I dont...different phones just give you a different texture with sound, different sound stages and it's nice to change things up. 

any reason why you paired the Valhalla with the bifrost? I just paired the way I did based on stacking size. 

Yes. Valhalla 2 is quite resolving, plus OTL SET tube amps are good for high Z cans. And the Bifrost has the inputs you want, plus the multibit is warmish, so a good offset to the HD800.

Yes. Valhalla 2 is quite resolving, plus OTL SET tubes amps are good for high Z cans. And the Bifrost has the inputs you want, plus the multibit is warmish, so a good offset to the HD800.

Sounds like something to consider especially with that 2 week trial period they offer. Thanks. 

Sounds like something to consider especially with that 2 week trial period they offer. Thanks. 

Yep. The Vali/Modi combo is higher value, though, and probably the only DAC/amp you'd ever need.

The Vali is more versatile because it is a hybrid, and so you can drive planars and stuff from it, unlike the Valhalla.

Bottlehead crack and modi 2 uber is a very popular combo for HD800

That's a company I never heard of...going to check them out and do some research, thanks. 

That's a company I never heard of...going to check them out and do some research, thanks. 

It's a DIY kit. Very much a traditional, warm "tube sound".

It's a DIY kit. Very much a traditional, warm "tube sound".

wat did u do with old grumpy SSL that hates all audiofeels stuff?

(new ssl is nice too) :P

@OP  Lyr or Valhalla would be a good match, I really liked my HD800 + Lyr, except I never got around to trying the Valhalla although I wanted to.  I didn't try any tubes other than stock either :(

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

wat did u do with old grumpy SSL that hates all audiofeels stuff?

Buy an ODAC you FUCK.

Yeah, there he is.

Buy an ODAC you FUCK.

Yeah, there he is.

luv u

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Idk what happened to the old @SSL

Did headfi hit him like a truck :o

The new changstar.com.

Let's just say, I'm a a bit more open-minded about things than I was. Head-fi is still as much cancer as ever.

The new changstar.com.

Let's just say, I'm a a bit more open-minded about things than I was. Head-fi is still as much cancer as ever.

I take out changstar.com was a good audio forum, as is the one you linked?

I take out changstar.com was a good audio forum, as is the one you linked?

Less terrible than head-fi. They do measurements and don't forbid talking about blind testing.

Less terrible than head-fi. They do measurements and don't forbid talking about blind testing.

Well actual data is always good. Much more so than "Oh yeah, I got this 1k tube amp for my 500$ headphones, it really drives them to their full potential for a nice smooth silky sound. Buy it."

I was hoping you guys could help me find some dac/amps for headphones in the 1k u.s. range. Must have usb and optical/toslink, 1/4 inch/6.3mm headphone jack inputs. I was looking at the oppo ha-1 which is super sexy and reviewed very well and also looking at the Schiit Lyr 2 and bifrost combo at about the same price but reviews for the updated combo are not really easy to come by. That 5 years warranty though! Do you guys know of any other dac/amps around that price range that are worth taking a look at and meet my needs? I looked at all the major electronics sites but was hoping you guys might now some boutique brands that I am not aware of. Any tips or info is appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, just fyi I have been working my way up the dac price scale and yes I do think it's worth it :P

personally I would recommend the schiit bifrost uber dac with the cavali audio liquid carbon amp because it has a balanced input or the woo audio wa6 because the sound imo is very good on the tubes

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb