Does gold plating help?

brownninja97

I have the feeling that gold wil barely make any different for something like hdmi or dvi or even usb 3.0. Im sure this will save people a lot of money as itd abotu £2 difference but i buy a lot of cables for customers and i have a ton of usbs.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

gold plating used to matter a lot when the signals were analogue becuase you can have a strong signal or weak signal but since we are now almost all digital (hdmi etc) it doesn't matter becuase you are either connected or not connected.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Gold is the best in conducting signals so it would be a bit worth it, how ever I see no difference.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Gold is the best in conducting signals so it would be a bit worth it, how ever I see no difference.

I dont think we are close to over saturating copper at the moment for displays. maybe with 4k but im just using 1080p at the moment.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I dont think we are close to over saturating copper at the moment for displays. maybe with 4k but im just using 1080p at the moment.

True. Soon gold will HAVE to be on connectors however most connections without gold are comepletely fine for now.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

As Linus says, It will matter if the connectors on the inside of the plug are gold. But, the outside of the connector does not matter if it is gold.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

As Linus says, It will matter if the connectors on the inside of the plug are gold. But, the outside of the connector does not matter if it is gold.

Bingo. Inside, good. Outside, NOT YET!

Mythbusters (or Linus) should take on the whole "omg my 1.30m (or 4 feet?) long (HDMI) cable needs better shielding and connectors than medical equiptment" on a scientific way and bust it once and for all.

Gold is not the best conduct of electricity - silver is however it is less malleable and is prone to wear. Gold connectors make better contact with receptacles due to the malleability of it. 

We don't use silver in cables because of the cost. 

Gold is not the best conduct of electricity - silver is however it is less malleable and is prone to wear. Gold connectors make better contact with receptacles due to the malleability of it. 

Sadly I would like to see silver implemented more. However we both know that can't really happen.

It doesn't really make a "huge" difference. 

Gold is a high conductor of electricity, does not tarnish or oxides in air, is malleable, ductile, soft, dense and is relatively cheap in terms of plating. So why not?   

I was just thinking this. Damn you windspeed and beating me to it again!.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Isn't gold more expensive?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

On the inside, not on the outside.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Gold is not the best conductor. Silver is first, then Aluminum, then Gold. This is based on the elements Electrical Resistivity values at 20 degrees Celsius.

Silver = 15.87 nano Ohm meters

Copper = 16.78 nano Ohm meters

Gold = 22.14 nano Ohm meters

Smaller number is better. Which means by gold plating, we are actually making it worse.

However, that said, Silver and Copper will "rust", whereas, gold will not. So by plating it with gold, you are basically preventing the connector from ever losing its connectivity. The wire can be made out of Copper because it will be covered by the plastic coating so it wont rust.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

No there is no reason at all to get gold plated connectors. Unless you want to pour water on the connectors or something. It has been said that the gold is more malleable however this is not true unless they were using an alloy containing a high percentage of gold which is unlikely as these cables are not in the £50-£100 price range. Just go with the highest quality wire itself and with a braided cable if it is available. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Gold is used in conectors because it is maleable, meaning that it will last more connect-disconnect cycles. It is on the top 5 of conductive materials, but you wouldnt notice any difference in quality signla between cupper and gold, the only benefit as I said before is that it will last longer.

Also keep in mind that the amount of gold that they use is very small, so I dont think it make a lot of a difference.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Gold is used in conectors because it is maleable, meaning that it will last more connect-disconnect cycles. It is on the top 5 of conductive materials, but you wouldnt notice any difference in quality signla between cupper and gold, the only benefit as I said before is that it will last longer.

Also keep in mind that the amount of gold that they use is very small, so I dont think it make a lot of a difference.

It's more to do with the fact that gold is more stable than copper or silver. Copper and silver tarnishes over time, whereas gold does not, so gold can provide more reliable connection in the long run (at least in theory). I don't know if gold's malleability could be a factor, since i expect the plated layer to be incredibly thin. I don't know why Linus always says it's because of gold's malleability. 

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

Yes! But only for analogue signals (VGA and audio as far as I know)

Even then, silver is better than gold at this but I think gold is used as most customers will naturally think that gold will be better than silver.

For digital signals (USB, DVI etc..) it makes no difference, as long as the signal gets though. 

Now you still may want to go with a higher quality cable as the build quality normally means that it will last longer before breaking but that's up to you.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS