Anyone here work for companys like but not limited to, Mediacomb, Comast, etc. ?

TheGrim123321

So it's 2:40am and this is when I do most of my thinking, so I started thinking about careers. I thought "Hey, setting up internet connections and cable/phone couldn't be too hard, and I like cables as much as the next computer nerd." So here are my questions.

1. What levels of education would being an installer(I believe that is the name of the position) require.

2. Is there a good advancement route, I'm an ambitious person.

3. Would the starting pay be good enough to have a small apartment and upgrade/build computers occasionally.

4. Assuming question 2 is yes. What are the routes, and how much more/less money would I make.

5. Do you think this would be a good life long career. Do you regret it?

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

You mean the person who comes to customer's houses and sets up the internet?  Sounds like a pretty dead end job TBH.  You'd be in a much better position for all your needs as a Systems engineer or a networking associate.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You mean the person who comes to customer's houses and sets up the internet?  Sounds like a pretty dead end job TBH.  You'd be in a much better position for all your needs as a Systems engineer or a networking associate.

Can you give me information regarding jobs as a Systems engineer/Networking associate. I'm 14 and want to plan for my future so I'm open for suggestions.

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Well for networking and stuff you have to do Cisco courses and certification. Start with CCNA .

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

Yup, go for Cisco certification. It's not terribly difficult if you study properly, and it'll teach you what you need to know (I can personally attest to this as I got my CCNA and CCNAS certifications while in high school).

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Yup, go for Cisco certification. It's not terribly difficult if you study properly, and it'll teach you what you need to know (I can personally attest to this as I got my CCNA and CCNAS certifications while in high school).

Can you take it in 9th grade?

TheGrim123321

Well for networking and stuff you have to do Cisco courses and certification. Start with CCNA .

CCNA?

TheGrim123321

Well, I don't recall what the age restriction is, but if you're under 18, you'll need some parental approval to take the exam, and without going through the actual networking academy, you'll have to pay the full $300 fee for the exam. I'd suggest finding colleges that offer the program, unless a nearby high school has it. Very few grade schools have it though; I was very fortunate to have this opportunity. Honestly, you really don't need to prepare this far forward. Just knowing what you'd like to do in the future is enough to guide you.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Well, I don't recall what the age restriction is, but if you're under 18, you'll need some parental approval to take the exam, and without going through the actual networking academy, you'll have to pay the full $300 fee for the exam. I'd suggest finding colleges that offer the program, unless a nearby high school has it. Very few grade schools have it though; I was very fortunate to have this opportunity. Honestly, you really don't need to prepare this far forward. Just knowing what you'd like to do in the future is enough to guide you.

Alright thank you for the information :D, unfortunately my school doesn't offer the test. :(

TheGrim123321

Can you take it in 9th grade?

Age does't matter But you must have an understanding and willing to learn. There are so many institute that offer these courses from where you take classes and learn it after it completes and if you are confident enough about what you have learned than do official CISCO Exams for CCNA.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

CCNA?

Here is the information about Study and Exams for CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Associate )

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-routing-switching.html#~Study

I think the whole thing will be replaced by scripts which automaticly run when someone powers their new router/modem whatever.

I think the whole thing will be replaced by scripts which automaticly run when someone powers their new router/modem whatever.

Only if each and every modem is unpacked from it's box and have the script inserted though :P By default nothing is configured, s to configure scripts for each customer would be tedious.

@TheGrim123321

CCNA is a great stepping stone if you like networking.  Systems engineers usually are in charge of physical servers, installing and migration, server administration, setting up storage networks, etc etc.  Networking is well, networking :P Setting up a company network, load balancing, configuring access through ACL or FW rules, configuring of Cisco routers (well Cisco is the most commonly found at least) for port channeling, subnetting, etc etc

Take CCENT and see if you're even interested in networking, will give you an idea of what you want to do.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If you started as an installer while in school, you could get your foot in the door and meet some of the networking managers. It pays to Network with people and have a good relationship so that later on you might be though of first for that good job.

Thank you guys for helping me. :D . I appreciate it.

TheGrim123321

Don't think installers are hired as young as you are because there's kind of liability involved (you do need to get on roofs, basements, go through people shitty and dangerous wiring, etc) but otherwise I'd be like a good temp job for you.

But they mostly hired adults, and yeah it's a pretty shitty dead end job that probably only requires like a 2 year technical degree or something like that, better go for networking stuff like previously mentioned (Cisco certifications are good but expensive) since you'd basically be doing the same stuff but for nice office buildings not people's shitty houses.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't think installers are hired as young as you are because there's kind of liability involved (you do need to get on roofs, basements, go through people shitty and dangerous wiring, etc) but otherwise I'd be like a good temp job for you.

But they mostly hired adults, and yeah it's a pretty shitty dead end job that probably only requires like a 2 year technical degree or something like that, better go for networking stuff like previously mentioned (Cisco certifications are good but expensive) since you'd basically be doing the same stuff but for nice office buildings not people's shitty houses.

Yeah that's what I want to do, like set up internet for  huge company buildings and stuff.

TheGrim123321