Ram usage slowly creeping up

Guest OfficialBen
Go to solution Solved by Dautin,

I just installed windows, another thread told me to do a clean install and that is what fixed it, at least for now

I guess that works too.  Glad you were able to get your issues resolved.  Enjoy!

When I first turn my PC on it is at about 35% of my 8 gigs but then over time it slowly goes up and eventually goes to about 99% and freezes my pc. Any reasons it is doing this? How to stop?

When I first turn my PC on it is at about 35% of my 8 gigs but then over time it slowly goes up and eventually goes to about 99% and freezes my pc. Any reasons it is doing this? How to stop?

I believe that's a memory leak, used to happen to me in Windows 10 so I reinstalled the OS and it's fine now.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Update your Killer Ethernet driver. Its notorious for memory leaking.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I don't have it, any other programs?

Open you task manager, and go to processes tab.
See which application is slowly using up your memory.
How long has this been a problem? Did you install any new programs?

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Open you task manager, and go to processes tab.

See which application is slowly using up your memory.

How long has this been a problem? Did you install any new programs?

This only recently started but I haven't installed anything new. The most memory hungry programs are system (36%) LolClient (9.9%) and Google chrome (about 12%) https://gyazo.com/e43a2770fbc7bc0e3d5c5849f37b23e4

This only recently started but I haven't installed anything new. The most memory hungry programs are system (36%) LolClient (9.9%) and Google chrome (about 12%) https://gyazo.com/e43a2770fbc7bc0e3d5c5849f37b23e4

You're going to have to wait and see. Go about your business as usual and leave task manager open set to sort by total memory usage and see what floats to the top and keeps growing.

Just keep an eye on them, and see if one of them gets out of hand.
Like was said above, sometimes drivers can cause this too. All your drivers good and up-to-date?

Gaming PCs:

You're going to have to wait and see. Go about your business as usual and leave task manager open set to sort by total memory usage and see what floats to the top and keeps growing.

Like was said above, sometimes drivers can cause this too. All your drivers good and up-to-date?

It gets to 99% at what it looks like in the pic. System is allways at the top

Microsoft (I know, of all people, right?) has some helpful tips for determining which drivers can be causing the problem.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545403(v=vs.85).aspx

Gaming PCs:

Microsoft (I know, of all people, right?) has some helpful tips for determining which drivers can be causing the problem.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545403(v=vs.85).aspx

It is allways system witch is using the most. I can not close that. The next one is usually my league of legends launcher but when I close that it only takes it from 99 to 98 even thoguh it makes up like 5%

I just updated some drivers. hopefully this helps. 

You don't need to end the process. I'm saying you should check and see if one of your drivers may be causing the problem.
EDIT: Didn't see the reply sorry.

Gaming PCs:

I have had many friends that have had the System process in Windows 10 specifically using significant amounts of RAM.  I was able to resolve their problems changing some page files settings.

Basically (If you have more than one drive on the system):

1. Disable the paging file on the C: Drive.

2. Enable it on another drive that is not the system drive.

3.  Either make the paging file system managed for that drive or set the value manually to 1.5x to 2x the amount of RAM that you have in your system.

You can change the paging file settings by navigating to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings > Performance -> Settings... -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change...

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

I have had many friends that have had the System process in Windows 10 specifically using significant amounts of RAM.  I was able to resolve their problems changing some page files settings.

3.  Either make the paging file system managed for that drive or set the value manually to 1.5x to 2x the amount of RAM that you have in your system.

You can change the paging file settings by navigating to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings > Performance -> Settings... -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change...

How do I do that. What is the paging file?

How do I do that. What is the paging file?

The instructions are in my post.

If you want to know more about Paging Files, here is a video that Linus made about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VDP5TCAK2c

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

I switched my pagefile but my system percent usage still goes from about 4% when the PC turns on to what it is 30% now. Google chrome also goes from about 3% to 15% now

I switched my pagefile but my system percent usage still goes from about 4% when the PC turns on to what it is 30% now. Google chrome also goes from about 3% to 15% now

Use the poolmon tool linked earlier on the msdn site. It most likely is a driver issue.

I just installed windows, another thread told me to do a clean install and that is what fixed it, at least for now

I guess that works too.  Glad you were able to get your issues resolved.  Enjoy!

Main Rig: 

Server: 

I have the same problem but just when downloading huge files from steam or the elder scrolls online client, I'll trying to update that :3

Thanks!