Skylake non-K might get bclk overclocking via bios update

Not a great deal without making your GPU and other bus speeds becoming unstable. As far as I am aware the biggest selling point of a K processor is the multiplier unlocking and overclocking you can achieve with it.

That's not how Z170 works.

It has an external BCLK generator that changes the BCLK separately from those other things, the unlocked K series can do 400+ BCLK on Ln2.

The BCLK on Z170 doesn't fuck with sata/pci-e etc.  It only messes with memory controller/cache/cpu.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Slightly off topic but, would it not be best to lower the cpu bclk as low as it will go to gain finer control over overclocking? Like...4.6ghz could be stable and 4.7ghz not, but if you lowered the bclk to 50mhz instead of 100 you could nail 4.65ghz and still be okay?

Edit: AH.

Slightly off topic but, would it not be best to lower the cpu bclk as low as it will go to gain finer control over overclocking? Like...4.6ghz could be stable and 4.7ghz not, but if you lowered the bclk to 50mhz instead of 100 you could nail 4.65ghz and still be okay?

You can just go up in BCLK as well.  In my experience it is easier to go up than down, because it will give you more cache & ram speed too!

IE: with a K series CPU, if 46 is stable, 47 isn't, you can do 101 BCLK @ 46 multiplier= 4646 mhz.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

i dont think so.with bclk you want a higher base clock with a lower multiplier. at least thats how it was pre-sandy bridge.on skylake idk

You can just go up in BCLK as well.  In my experience it is easier to go up than down, because it will give you more cache & ram speed too!

yeah but most lowered the ram multiplier and cpu multiplier just to go up on the base clock.

Edited by s3ns3

why not? oc'ing i3's would be fine.if its not stable,lower it a bit.if intel would allow it. 

--

I personally would just not want to take that chance.

I mean if we were to cut out the features of higher end boards that are not present on boards like H81, it would still be too risky on an H81 board for me.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

IE: with a K series CPU, if 46 is stable, 47 isn't, you can do 101 BCLK @ 46 multiplier= 4646 mhz.

Dat 46Mhz of extra performance tho

hahahaha

I personally would just not want to take that chance.

I mean if we were to cut out the features of higher end boards that are not present on boards like H81, it would still be too risky on an H81 board for me.

there isnt any risk.seriously.mostly its the vrm you want to look for but with an i3 if you keep it under 1.35v i dont think it would use more power than a locked i7.which works just fine on any board. howerver no risk with an i3 whatsoever

the 'features' of a z chipset over h ones are raid and unlocked multiplier. thats it. and ofc a stronger vrm. but like i said with an i3..no risks. ok maybe a bluescreen.then lower the voltage a bit

this is definitely a great news, here is another review on this BLCK  OC http://www.jagatoc.com/2015/12/hands-on-review-overclocking-bclk-core-i3-6100-on-supermicro-c7h170-m/ it's in Indonesian, but the graphs is in english

they use the cheapest i3, i3 6100 3.7 GHz and took it to 4255.56 MHz, that is impressive

and what is more impressive is that they use a SuperMicro C7H170-M. yep H170

DSC04234.jpg

some benchmark

GTAV_1080p_6100.jpg

WD_1080p_6100.jpg

nice improvement there on Watch Dogs.

they had problem in getting it past 115 MHz BLCK, it's just not stable, they tried with 120 MHz but it didn't stable

6100_CinebenchR15_OCMAX-500x280.jpg

oh yeah, regarding the risk of OC on non-Z board, just take it easy

Powerv2.jpg

see?

oh yeah, regarding the risk of OC on non-Z board, just take it easy

Powerv2.jpg

But is it independent of PCI and SATA clocks?

Welcome back, been a long time since I've seen you.

And yes it is.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Asrock seems set to release a BIOS update on all of their Z170 motherboards that will enable overclocking on non-k Intel Skylake CPUs.

eedless to say, if this is legitimate, it's huge, and marks a return to pre Sandy-Bridge chips where base clock overclocking allowed you to overclock any of Intel's CPUs.

https://youtu.be/dlPLkfE8Ubk?t=57s

Your thoughts?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I wouldn't OC on an H81 anyway hahaha

There was one guy on here a long time ago, first time pc builder/overclocker who pushed a 4790K to something crazy on a 50$ H81 board, It was like 5.1ghz with 1.21 volts with only hitting around 75 degrees with a stock cooler.

He made a post saying like "is this okay for overclocking", our jaws hit the fucking floors.

I don't understand...what is bclk? How can you overclock non-k CPUs? :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't understand...what is bclk? How can you overclock non-k CPUs? :(

this guy in red circle

post-8736-0-10141100-1450010121.jpg

BLCK x Multiplier = JigaHertz

Asrock seems set to release a BIOS update on all of their Z170 motherboards that will enable overclocking on non-k Intel Skylake CPUs.

eedless to say, if this is legitimate, it's huge, and marks a return to pre Sandy-Bridge chips where base clock overclocking allowed you to overclock any of Intel's CPUs.

https://youtu.be/dlPLkfE8Ubk?t=57s

Your thoughts?

only on Z series?, that's stupid

well, at least SuperMicro already got it in their H series.

this guy in red circle

attachicon.gifi3_6100_DEF-379x375.jpg

BLCK x Multiplier = JigaHertz

Is that even going to give a worthy difference when OC'd?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Is that even going to give a worthy difference when OC'd?

this base clock OC vs multiplier ?or just performance gain? anyway its the same. if the cpu runs at 4.5ghz regarding of what type of OC you did than thats a 4.5 OC.the best results come with blck+multiplier. usualy lower multiplier and higher base clock

There was one guy on here a long time ago, first time pc builder/overclocker who pushed a 4790K to something crazy on a 50$ H81 board, It was like 5.1ghz with 1.21 volts with only hitting around 75 degrees with a stock cooler.

He made a post saying like "is this okay for overclocking", our jaws hit the fucking floors.

I refuse to believe that person got a 4790k @5Ghz with only 1.2 volts hahaha that is insane hahahaha

No but i thought the danger of cheaper boards with less/less-quality power phases was to the VRMs if you were to add too much voltage?

I refuse to believe that person got a 4790k @5Ghz with only 1.2 volts hahaha that is insane hahahaha

No but i thought the danger of cheaper boards with less/less-quality power phases was to the VRMs if you were to add too much voltage?

I didn't want to believe it either then he posted CPU-z screenshots and stress tests.