NAS Vs. Server

z123killer

A NAS is more or less a dedicated storage on your LAN. A server (if connected online) could be accessed anywhere through the Internet. 

I used to be quite active here.

A NAS is more or less a dedicated storage on your LAN. A server (if connected online) could be accessed anywhere through the Internet. 

So a NAS is dedicated storage on my network. A server can be accessed from anywhere (different network)

So a NAS is dedicated storage on my network. A server can be accessed from anywhere (different network)

No. One has nothing to do with the other.

Every NAS is a server, but not every server is a NAS.

A NAS is basically a storage server. You can configure it to be accessed from the Internet. A server could be used for many more things, you know, like running a game server. 

I used to be quite active here.

As stated, a NAS is a type of server. NASes can also be configured to be accessed over the Internet.

If you use something like FreeNAS, you can re-purpose or add extra purposes to it like a Minecraft server.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

nas = storage server

server = HUUUUGE category of all types of computers that do all kinds of stuff

its a very general term

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Strictly speaking a NAS is a server. Servers are defined as a computer that provides a service to multiple users. This could be Authentication, Data Storage, Web Hosting etc. The hardware doesn't define the server, a Raspberry Pi can be a server. Hardware classified as a server is really just saying that it is very reliable and has inbuilt redundancy for component failures.

nas = storage server

server = HUUUUGE category of all types of computers that do all kinds of stuff

its a very general term

As stated, a NAS is a type of server. NASes can also be configured to be accessed over the Internet.

If you use something like FreeNAS, you can re-purpose or add extra purposes to it like a Minecraft server.

A NAS is basically a storage server. You can configure it to be accessed from the Internet. A server could be used for many more things, you know, like running a game server. 

So a NAS is a storage server but a general server can be used for many thing such as a game server, a storage server or a web server

So a NAS is a storage server but a general server can be used for many thing such as a game server, a storage server or a web server

Correct.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

well.. a "server" is a computer that fills the role of providing a service to other systems on the network, that being lan, or wan. (very vague)

a "nas" is in most cases a full featured computer in the same sense as a "server" (in some cases it isnt, this being solutions built into routers, etc.) but optimized/configured for the specific usage of accessing its hard drives across a network connection. it is common for a "nas" to contain low power hardware, calculated for its specific use case. (enterprise level NAS solutions will have powerfull processors, plenty of ram, and quality raid cards for enterprise level performance, while simple home raid 1 NASes usually dont have much more than an atom with a gigabyte of ram or less)

Your question is basically the same thing as asking: "What's the difference between a Honda Civic and a car?"

Your question is basically the same thing as asking: "What's the difference between a Honda Civic and a car?"

lol, well I didn't know I am only 13 and trying to learn stuff

There is nothing wrong with asking since NAS stands for Network-Attached Storage. Some may get confused and think it's not a server.

lol, well I didn't know I am only 13 and trying to learn stuff

You only learn by asking. I realized that might have sounded like a bit of a dick comment; that wasn't my intention, but I figured it might be an easy way to explain it in a way that you'd understand.

You only learn by asking. I realized that might have sounded like a bit of a dick comment; that wasn't my intention, but I figured it might be an easy way to explain it in a way that you'd understand.

it's all good

~snip~

Hey there z123killer,

Here are my two cents on the topic:
- NAS (Network Attached Storage) is basically any storage device that is connected to your storage and is accessible over the network. For example a regular external drive such as WD My Passport that is connected to your router's USB port and can be accessed by all devices on the network is considered a NAS. 
- A Server is a system with a OS that has the functionality of a NAS plus much more including third-party app support and others. 
- Both NAS devices and Servers can be accessed over the internet if configured properly. If you have an external drive connected to your NAS or a dedicated NAS such as the WD My Cloud that is connected to the router and if that router has access to the internet, the data on the storage drive should be accessible over the internet with the proper settings from devices that are not on the particular network.

Feel free to ask if you happen to have more questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/