URGENT: Quick Disconnect or Valve?

UmerF

I just got a confirmation regarding the arrival of everything I ordered, should be here either tomorrow otherwise day after tomorrow. Just wanted to update this thread since we've all put so much time into discussion here.

In meanwhile, here's something to feast your eyes upon ... http://imgur.com/gallery/tUnw5

Note: I've upgraded to 64GB (4x16GB) Trident Z 3000MHz now but before that I was running the ones as shown above, they perform even better than they look!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64
All powered by Corsair AX1200i

• 3 weeks later...

@RogueCow, man oh man .. I finally pulled the plug last night and finished the loop. No airpockets or anything, I directly built it inside the loop and there wasn't even any bubble or anything in the pipe. Detailed pics and videos coming soon since still more works needs to be done but I wanted your input on this .. please take a look at the following picture.

nGevJPJ.jpg

As you can see in the res, since after putting the the thing in the system the piping and the loop size became smaller. Before I was using longer pipes and what not while testing the loop so the reservoir could be filled fully and it'd stay full even when turned off but with the way the loop is setup now whenever the system is running it comes down all the way to the middle or below and when turned off it goes all the way up.

Can I add water while the loop is running to and tighten the holes and hope there won't be any issue and when the system is off the water will be just pushed in the pipes and what not? Because in current scenario it kinda sucks a lot because I can hear the water pouring in ... I can't live with it 24x7 lol.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K /Cooler: Custom Loop /Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula /Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (3000 MHz) /GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 120GB Kingston v300 SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3x 2TB WD Red + 500GB Seagate Barracuda /Chassis: Corsair 900D /OS: Win 10 x64

open the top port on your res while the loop is running. then close after a short while. Then turn of your system. Is the res still filling up by then?

I am using reservoir base on top as well as bottom instead of filling top on the top of the res, so you want me to open one of the plug while the loop is running and then close it after a while and then turn off the system and see how much it fills back up and then fill more again if there's any space, right?

Any disadvantage of adding water in the loop while it's running? Considering my whole system is turned off so no risk of any short circuit, will be using secondary PSU to power up the loop which will be far away from the res.

Thanks for your input, mate.

I am using reservoir base on top as well as bottom instead of filling top on the top of the res, so you want me to open one of the plug while the loop is running and then close it after a while and then turn off the system and see how much it fills back up and then fill more again if there's any space, right?

Any disadvantage of adding water in the loop while it's running? Considering my whole system is turned off so no risk of any short circuit, will be using secondary PSU to power up the loop which will be far away from the res.

Thanks for your input, mate.

You can film its whilst running. That's a pretty normal way of toppen of the loop when it has been bled. Opening a plug whilst running will make sure air can lave the system. Obviously Don't open a plug that will drain the system.

You can film its whilst running. That's a pretty normal way of toppen of the loop when it has been bled. Opening a plug whilst running will make sure air can lave the system. Obviously Don't open a plug that will drain the system.

Haha, nah I just did what you said but that didn't seem to help .. I opened both of the plugs on the top for few minutes and then I clicked on shut down and as it was shutting down I went ahead and closed the plugs, as I was closing the second plug the PC shutdown by then already .. and the reservoir was filled fully again.

Should I do the steps again and make sure to close the res before clicking on shutdown?

Alternatively, filling the reservoir while system is running should be fine then .. correct?

Close res before shutting down. Could you post a picture of your loop and an aerob or two idicatibg flow?

Oh wait... Do your have the loop coming in at the top of your res and no tube inside the res?

If so you need a tube leading the coolant to the bottom so the res fills from the bottom up and not from top to bottom.

Close res before shutting down. Could you post a picture of your loop and an aerob or two idicatibg flow?

Oh wait... Do your have the loop coming in at the top of your res and no tube inside the res?

If so you need a tube leading the coolant to the bottom so the res fills from the bottom up and not from top to bottom.

WqRRNf7.jpg

As you can see, the red line is where the action starts. Reservoir adding water to the pump, then the the green line shows water being pumped into the waterblock and then then blue line shows that the water is being moved to the radiator  and then then the yellow line shows the water being added back into the reservoir.

Is what you wanted me to do, so there you go .. if I did it wrong please correct me and I'll do it accordingly.

I don't understand what you mean by this:

Can you please elaborate on that for me, thank you.

WqRRNf7.jpg

As you can see, the red line is where the action starts. Reservoir adding water to the pump, then the the green line shows water being pumped into the waterblock and then then blue line shows that the water is being moved to the radiator and then then the yellow line shows the water being added back into the reservoir.

Is what you wanted me to do, so there you go .. if I did it wrong please correct me and I'll do it accordingly.

I don't understand what you mean by this:

To avoid air bubbles in your loop by making sure the coolant doesn't splash

He is basically referring to a tube you screw into the inside of the reservoir top so when the water returns back to the res it doesn't "freefall" onto the surface of the water which will aerate the water and introduce bubbles you won't get rid of. The tube is designed so that it returns water below the top surface of your res.

Something like this

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

To avoid air bubbles in your loop by making sure the coolant doesn't splash

He is basically referring to a tube you screw into the inside of the reservoir top so when the water returns back to the res it doesn't "freefall" onto the surface of the water which will aerate the water and introduce bubbles you won't get rid of. The tube is designed so that it returns water below the top surface of your res.

Something like this

Ahh, makes much more sense now. Thanks a lot for clarifying that, sadly it doesn't have any of those tubes in there .. so I guess I can go ahead and fill the reservoir while it's running to avoid the water splashing in the res?

• 2 weeks later...

@RogueCow, @NoobCase, @SonoDanshi, @ThatOneRussian

I know this is taking longer than expected but I actually ran into RMA issue with the board which delayed about a week and I wanted to get a proper board before putting in the water loop, long story short .. still not the perfect board in my rig at the moment but at least water cooling is working fine. I want to know if these bubbles are bad for the loop, I don't see any in any of the pipe or any air pocket in the CPU block so I guess it should be good?

Please take a look at this:

If you Don't have Micro bubles or visible pockets i guess you are alright. If it was me i'd find a way to get rid of them just to be sure. Again i think a fill pipe or what ever they are called would work wonders. It def not normal to have that amount of large bubles in the res... But i think they look pretty....

:)

@RogueCow, @NoobCase, @SonoDanshi, @ThatOneRussian

I know this is taking longer than expected but I actually ran into RMA issue with the board which delayed about a week and I wanted to get a proper board before putting in the water loop, long story short .. still not the perfect board in my rig at the moment but at least water cooling is working fine. I want to know if these bubbles are bad for the loop, I don't see any in any of the pipe or any air pocket in the CPU block so I guess it should be good?

Please take a look at this: --snip--

If the bubbles don't disappear after the pump has been running for several hours then there are normally 2 main culprits:

1. As @NoobCase has mentioned and i have explained previously, you need to add a return pipe inside the reservoir to prevent the water being aerated on return;
  2. The pump is running too fast and you'll need to turn the speed down until it stops generating bubbles;

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

If the bubbles don't disappear after the pump has been running for several hours then there are normally 2 main culprits:

1. As @NoobCase has mentioned and i have explained previously, you need to add a return pipe inside the reservoir to prevent the water being aerated on return;
  2. The pump is running too fast and you'll need to turn the speed down until it stops generating bubbles;

I considered number 2. And tried turning up my D5 (have the build apart right now) And I couldn't for the life of me recreate the bubles on any speed. But res size could be a factor here. So yes @UmerF try turning down the pump speed.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/24/2016 at 0:22 AM, NoobCase said:

If you Don't have Micro bubles or visible pockets i guess you are alright. If it was me i'd find a way to get rid of them just to be sure. Again i think a fill pipe or what ever they are called would work wonders. It def not normal to have that amount of large bubles in the res... But i think they look pretty....

:)

It indeed does look pretty for sure, haha! But if it's going to cause performance issues then I'll need to get it rectified but if it's only in the res I don't mind them being there although adding a pipe isn't a bad idea either and I can look into that.

On 1/25/2016 at 11:34 AM, SonoDanshi said:

Does having all those bubbles only in the res will cause any issue? Such as performance and what not, if not then I'd rather let it be for now and consider adding the pipe as I do like the way it currently looks with bubbles and all.

As for pump is running too fast, it's a PWM Pump but I cannot seem to control it's speed. I tried doing it via ASUS' Utility Engine that Z170 Deluxe comes with but I don't think it really slowed anything down at all. I have it's PWM header connected and all and it identifies the pump just fine, I have it connected in W_PUMP header on the mobo which is specifically created for pumps.

If you have any guide or a suggestion to use a tool for controlling the pump via PWM that'll be highly appreciated!

On 1/25/2016 at 5:29 PM, NoobCase said:

I considered number 2. And tried turning up my D5 (have the build apart right now) And I couldn't for the life of me recreate the bubles on any speed. But res size could be a factor here. So yes @UmerF try turning down the pump speed.

Which software did you use to turn the speed down for your D5? or it's not PWM and you had to manually do it from the pump itself?

// To All, including @RogueCow and @ThatOneRussian

I'm very sorry for such a late reply after a month, I've been terribly busy with stuff and I never got a chance to get around to my build. I've been using the same PC without any issue and gaming occasionally and it's been fine but I'd like to find some time to finish the build and add mayhem dye in it to finish it off and be done with it. For now, I'm stuck with not being able to control it's speed. So if anyone can help me regarding that it'll be awesome. Any suggested tool or something to do that?