Introducing NuAns Neo. The weirdest Windows Phone ever made.

AlTech
The NuAns Neo doesn’t look like any phone released in the past few years. Its chunky 11.3mm-thick frame marks a deliberate attempt to step out of the thinness arms race, and its mix-and-match snap-on covers — in materials like wood and ultrasuede — make it clear that this is more than just a rebranded reference design.
An attempt to step out of the thinness arms race

The Neo is a really nice phone to hold. That’s not to say it feels expensive — it doesn’t have the cold, sleek aluminum of an iPhone or the futuristic glassiness of a Galaxy. But the notable girth is refreshing after years of progressively skinnier smartphones, and the Neo sits in the hand very comfortably. And although the basic construction of the phone isn’t anything special, the way the back cover wraps around the side means your hand is always in contact with the material you’ve chosen. Even the unfinished pre-production models feel more like a product you’d find in Loft or Muji than a typical phone carrier store.

But why is an unorthodox new Windows phone popping up in Japan, of all places? Surprisingly, it’s down to the company’s iOS heritage. NuAns, which means both "nuance" and "new answer," is a new brand that represents a collaboration by Simplism and Tent, two sub-brands of a small Japanese company called Trinity. Simplism is one of the most well-known iPhone accessory brands in Japan, and Tent makes a variety of neat household items with a typically Japanese aesthetic. (Yes, the designers are well aware that the naming of their new phone amounts to Trinity releasing Neo.)

The NuAns Neo will go on sale in January at ¥39,800 ($324), though that only gets you the Core unit — depending on materials, you’ll have to pay from ¥1,400 ($11) for Twotone parts or ¥2,970 ($24) for the Flip case. That’s not an unreasonable price by Japanese standards, but buying SIM-free phones is a relatively novel concept here. Coupled with a retail strategy that eschews traditional electronics stores for design- and lifestyle-focused outlets like Loft, BALS, Isetan, and Arenot, the Neo definitely isn’t positioned as a traditional smartphone.

IMG_0354.0.jpg

Opinion - This is super awesome! 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/1/9826028/nuans-neo-windows-10-mobile-japan

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Didnt realise windows was in the race lol looking at their share holdings

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Finally. Maybe we can have a phone that can last the fucking day. Or maybe not, phone manufacturers will find a way to mess it up. I do like it though, a thicker phone is better than a fragine thin phone with a battery bank taped to the back of it

apple meanwhile to make iphones thinner....fuck headphones and battery life amirite?  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

apple meanwhile to make iphones thinner....fuck headphones and battery life amirite?  

Apple - Fuck all the ports

Finally. Maybe we can have a phone that can last the fucking day. Or maybe not, phone manufacturers will find a way to mess it up. I do like it though, a thicker phone is better than a fragine thin phone with a battery bank taped to the back of it

You probably don't want this...

nCYlipJ.jpg

-snip-

Source?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Apple - Fuck all the ports

hDQSiDe.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

That's not confirmed is it?

That's not confirmed is it?

I uh ...I don't know. But it's the pattern. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I uh ...I don't know. But it's the pattern. 

I mean more for the 3.5mm headphone jack going away.

I swear that was a rumor last year or something too, but it didn't happen. Not saying it won't, but I'm just skeptical.

Here is the official website: https://neo.nuans.jp/

It lists USB OTG in the specs, hopefully this is a WP10 thing and all devices get it.

Edit: Hopefully they add more colors, the ones they have are a bit dull. Also hopefully they fix the fit-and-finish, the pre-production model that The Verge obtained has gaps and doesn't fit together nicely.

Here is the official website: https://neo.nuans.jp/

It lists USB OTG in the specs, hopefully this is a WP10 thing and all devices get it.

Edit: Hopefully they add more colors, the ones they have are a bit dull. Also hopefully they fix the fit-and-finish, the pre-production model that The Verge obtained has gaps and doesn't fit together nicely.

Windows 10 adds OTG support. So it'll come to all devices.

The top-down profile looks like a Gen 2 iPod Nano.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Odd...

But I'm strangely charmed.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Soooo... poor specs and windows phone. A battery size that's unexceptional to say the least given the thickness. Ugly as hell (I mean, I don't usually give a damn about looks, but ffs what's wrong with black plastic? That thing looks like it's made out of cardboard and plywood and assembled with superglue). What exactly is the attractive of this? That it's thick for the sake of being thick?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Soooo... poor specs and windows phone. A battery size that's unexceptional to say the least given the thickness. Ugly as hell (I mean, I don't usually give a damn avour looks, but ffs what's wrong with black plastic? That thing looks like it's made out of cardboard and plywood and assembled with superglue). What exactly is the attractive of this? That it's thick for the sake of being thick?

I was sat here thinking the same thing

also "weirdest" - it looks like a pretty normal phone to me, when we had B&O release their weird updside down phone thing

151910-7-bang-olufsen-serene.jpg?width=6

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Windows 10 adds OTG support. So it'll come to all devices.

OTG needs both hardware and software support to work. Don't count on it coming to all phones just because Windows 10 supports it.

This phone seems pretty crap. The only impressive spec is the 3350mAh battery but the rest is what you'd expect from a budget phone.

This phone seems pretty crap. The only impressive spec is the 3350mAh battery but the rest is what you'd expect from a budget phone.

I think that battery is pretty small considering they have gone for it being thick

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

specs are meh, not really that interesting of a device, thick and yet the slimmer mi note 3 offers a larger battery.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I actually like the design. Mix and match the duo tone cover that is also replaceable should be a thing. Specs wise, I don't really care that much with it being a W10M phone. 5" is the perfect size for me. Lower res display and that massive battery + efficient OS (I hope it still is with W10M) should means longer battery life. Now if only more third party accessories maker follow something like nuans & Mozo and produce replaceable cover with 'premium' materials like leather or wood maybe..That'd be awesome. 

I actually like the design. Mix and match the duo tone cover that is also replaceable should be a thing. Specs wise, I don't really care that much with it being a W10M phone. 5" is the perfect size for me. Lower res display and that massive battery + efficient OS (I hope it still is with W10M) should means longer battery life. Now if only more third party accessories maker follow something like nuans & Mozo and produce replaceable cover with 'premium' materials like leather or wood maybe..That'd be awesome. 

Dude, the battery life should be even better since it is more efficient.

Dude, the battery life should be even better since it is more efficient.

I personally haven't tried out W10M so I can't really say if it is more efficient than WP8.1. But the SD617 is quite an efficient soc from what I've heard. The gaming performance will be average but it's only a 5" 720p phone display and real world performance should possibly still be almost up there with the flagships. 

I was sat here thinking the same thing

also "weirdest" - it looks like a pretty normal phone to me, when we had B&O release their weird updside down phone thing

151910-7-bang-olufsen-serene.jpg?width=6

That's not even my final form!

no3650_00.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------