AMD Announces next gen Fire Pro W4300

AlTech

So you can slap a water block on it with 3 others and still have plenty of room for expansion cards.

Or put it inside of one of those tiny cashier-sized PC's. 

I dont get why anyone would buy a workstation card... I dont know shit but I look at the specs and I'm like: why is it so expensive?

I dont get why anyone would buy a workstation card... I dont know shit but I look at the specs and I'm like: why is it so expensive?

it's got ECC memory on board (and more than normal) and is validated with a lot professional software - something you won't get with consumer hardware.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I wonder how well it'll to against Nvidia's options, not only in performance, but real world adoption.

AMD needs to gain a strong foothold in the commercial/corporate space if they have any kind of hope of survival.

AMD FirePro cards outperform the corresponding Quadro cards in almost every application.  OpenCL is a lot better than CUDA.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

double VRAM counts, ECC VRAM, validation to run at 100% load at 100*C 24/7, ability to support 6 displays at once, and a whole bunch of software validation.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD FirePro cards outperform the corresponding Quadro cards in almost every application.  OpenCL is a lot better than CUDA.

Yeah, no. Mining is about the only application, and that's pretty much because there is no CUDA version of the algorithm.

If that was remotely true, the Server FirePros would be wiping the floor with Teslas, and yet, they don't. Go look at the Linpack benchmarks if you don't believe me.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

When you have an application like Autodesk Maya or similar rendering for a week straight you will want something that is pretty much guaranteed to run flawlessly as well as have appropriate hardware that can correct minor memory corruption issues.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Yeah, no. Mining is about the only application, and that's pretty much because there is no CUDA version of the algorithm.

If that was remotely true, the Server FirePros would be wiping the floor with Teslas, and yet, they don't. Go look at the Linpack benchmarks if you don't believe me.

Fair enough.  Although I've seen FirePros wipe the floor with Quadros when it comes to video editing.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Fair enough.  Although I've seen FirePros wipe the floor with Quadros when it comes to video editing.

Crappy algorithms or only OpenCL implementations, something Nvidia is notably weak on since it's so much more invested in CUDA.

The GPUs are binned for 24/7 workload and the addition of ECC. The major importance is the certifications with industry applications, like Autodesk 3DS Max, or in my case, Revit.

I used to use a gaming Radeon card as my main GPU, but I got these strange artifacts and elements that didn't exist that would display with it. For example, a wall going through a roof when it didn't exist. If you printed the view out, it would look correct, but not on the screen. It does suck that my Firepro v7900 pretty much costs double what the comparable gaming card did. It's worth it for the lack of headaches. In 3DS Max, the Firepro eats the Radeon alive on geometry display.

Nvidia may have better drivers, but man, they cost even more than Firepros. I'm unsure if I will go quadro or firepro for my next GPU upgrade. The comparable mid range firepro is faster than comparable mid range quadro at the same price point. Still debating though.

When you have an application like Autodesk Maya or similar rendering for a week straight you will want something that is pretty much guaranteed to run flawlessly as well as have appropriate hardware that can correct minor memory corruption issues.

ok I didnt know about that but I do have to wonder with the price tag put on those cards if it wouldn't be better to just buy 2 insane top end enthusiast cards to do the job instead?

The GPUs are binned for 24/7 workload and the addition of ECC. The major importance is the certifications with industry applications, like Autodesk 3DS Max, or in my case, Revit.

My 7990's been mined/boinc'd upon almost 24/7 (I stop it when I game but then I play game so it's still on load) for the past 3 years and it's still going strong.

i'm quite excited to see how this CUDA thing works out for AMD... if it catches on, they got a HUGE "winner" on their hand. As their hardware is flat out superior to any current Quadro or even Tesla on the market. Their drivers and OpenCL reliance however, hurts their performance A LOT

I thought CUDA was an Nvidia thing?

Performance is irrelevant if you can't gain market share.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

ok I didnt know about that but I do have to wonder with the price tag put on those cards if it wouldn't be better to just buy 2 insane top end enthusiast cards to do the job instead?

My 7990's been mined/boinc'd upon almost 24/7 (I stop it when I game but then I play game so it's still on load) for the past 3 years and it's still going strong.

Its not a question of whether or not it works. Pretty much anything will work but when you have mission critical applications running especially for long periods of time its better to be safe than sorry. Rendering a small movie in Maya, 3DS Max, or Blender can take hours or sometimes days to render a single frame. Now multiply that by the number of frames in your film and you start to see why you invest in hardware that is proven for this kind of task. These parts are typically also pinned at full throttle for this entire time as well.

Edit: You also have things such as 10 bit color support for monitors that have a bigger color palette. The price tag is also high because its intended to be used by businesses which they assume have tons of money for things like this.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

but nvidia sells 9 year old gpus and no one calls them out on it

call me when they call it "next gen"

I thought CUDA was an Nvidia thing?

Performance is irrelevant if you can't gain market share.

They are licensing it to AMD now. And it seems as though AMD will have better performance than Nvidia's solutions.

Wth regard to Market share, AMD is where most professionals go. E.g. The fire pro series. I've seen and spoken to some animators who are also nerds and boy do they love AMDs professional products. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I've never really understood the point of half height GPU's.

If you need a GPU, you are probably a heavy enough user to want the cooling of a full sized cooler.

small form factor workstations that have a pcie slot but not the width to accomodate a full size card. These are not for games.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just reminding everyone that amd sits with ~10% of the market when it comes to firepro vs quadro.

So obviously they are a better "value"

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

small form factor workstations that have a pcie slot but not the width to accomodate a full size card. These are not for games.

Still didnt answer any questions...

No one said anything about games, games are not the only way to load a GPU ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You said it yourself on how it qualifies for next gen... Is the R7 360 not next gen? :D Plus, it's a new card coming out after a pause of a year, I think they're allowed to call it next gen.

It's GCN 1.1, like the 290/290X, while the 285/380/Fury are GCN 1.2, it's already a few years old.

Still didnt answer any questions...

No one said anything about games, games are not the only way to load a GPU ;)

for graphical work this may very well be enough. What it really needs is 10-bit colour depth, multiple dp outputs, lots of vram and if all that can fit in a small form factor, all the better.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They are licensing it to AMD now. And it seems as though AMD will have better performance than Nvidia's solutions.

Wth regard to Market share, AMD is where most professionals go. E.g. The fire pro series. I've seen and spoken to some animators who are also nerds and boy do they love AMDs professional products. 

Most CAD software runs better on AMD from my experience, mostly because they use OpenGL.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc