So Apparntly Nvidia GeForce Drivers are killing off some laptop panels (More accurately EDID Units)

Master Disaster

looks like nvidia and amd doesnt want my money right now..... i am fine with that.... going to wait until  the Fury X2 comes out....which should be early next year...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

I'm fully curious as to whether or not this is exclusively NVIDIA's fault given that it's limited to Alienware hardware with certain panels. Yes, the fact the Precision can destroy the panel instantly does point toward NVIDIA but could Alienware have implemented something differently from all other manufacturers that has been the real cause to the destruction of these panels?

If this were truly an issue with NVIDIA GPUs and drivers, wouldn't this affect all mobile platforms with the mentioned hardware configurations?

I mean, somebody with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, so long as you have proper supporting evidence, I just find it weird that this is exclusive to Alienware hardware and people are blaming NVIDIA instead.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'm fully curious as to whether or not this is exclusively NVIDIA's fault given that it's limited to Alienware hardware with certain panels. Yes, the fact the Precision can destroy the panel instantly does point toward NVIDIA but could Alienware have implemented something differently from all other manufacturers that has been the real cause to the destruction of these panels?

If this were truly an issue with NVIDIA GPUs and drivers, wouldn't this affect all mobile platforms with the mentioned hardware configurations?

ALL platforms are affected to an extent - most mobile users, however, don't update drivers since finding a working mobile driver is the same as finding a pot of gold

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

(Grab some popcorn, those are pretty long videos!)

Darness Dragon 2.0. Brazillian dude, and I'm actually finishing mine this week (will ad pictures later): 

Fiery Dragon 2.0. The one you see on the photo. It's a bit different, as I added my personal tastes to the mix: 

Ancient Dragon. Will try this one at a future time. After all, there is more to origmai than just durigons! 

Did a Dragon origami a while back, will post some pics too.

Still have not finished, my unicorn yet.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

ALL platforms are affected to an extent - most mobile users, however, don't update drivers since finding a working mobile driver is the same as finding a pot of gold

Well you didn't really answer my question, but kudos for trying.

I dug a little more into it and somebody who looks into these repairs had information from Dell and from experience that leads him to believe that this isn't NVIDIA's issue at all.

Um, as someone who does these kinds of repairs I do not understand how a GPU can kill an LCD. The LCD is its own assembly consisting of the LCD and inverter board. I looked up the error and universally the issue is either LCD/cable failure. This is per Dell's service manual. This is not Nvidia's issue, but one that specifically needs to be taken up with DELL. THIS ISSUE IS NOT SPECIFIC TO NVIDIA OR ALIENWARE LAPTOPS

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/496582/EN

For the love of shit, educate yourself and stop blaming Nvidia for Dell's cock-up

LCD failure - LCD failures occur either with the LCD itself, the inverter board, or connecting cables. There is literally nothing the GPU can do to cause it to fail. The LCD gets its voltage via the system board, not the GPU. If the refresh rate or clock is too high, you would get an error stating such (have seen it). Again, there is no way mechanically or electrically that the GPU can kill the LCD.

So with that considered, how is an operating system and driver update killing physical hardware that would have no direct connection? I've only seen the information posted from one user and not acknowledged from any reputable or well known sources; I'd be more convinced if WCCF had posted this information, but they didn't, nobody has, it's only various forum posts from the same user.

As far as I'm aware also, people are saying "NVIDIA has acknowledged the issue," but nowhere have I seen that they've confirmed it's an issue, so if somebody could bother proving that to me also, that'd be great.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

-snip-

Seeing as how its the EDID and MacGyvering a reflash of it fixes the issue, not sure if it fixes it permanently if reinstalled on a machine running the bad driver and windows 10, makes me think its a more complex issue than that.

EDIT: As a side note most laptops will boot just fine with the integrated display removed, you just have to use VGA or HDMI, there is definitely something wrong with the laptop failing to even POST with it plugged in

Seeing as how its the EDID and MacGyvering a reflash of it fixes the issue, not sure if it fixes it permanently if reinstalled on a machine running the bad driver and windows 10, makes me think its a more complex issue than that.

EDIT: As a side note most laptops will boot just fine with the integrated display removed, you just have to use VGA or HDMI, there is definitely something wrong with the laptop failing to even POST with it plugged in

There's speculation that Dell are doing a panel check during post so when the EDID firmware becomes corrupt the panel check is failing causing the post fail.

Also I don't think anyone has ever blamed Nvidia for anything, in fact the general consensus is this is very likely Dells issue however that doesn't change the fact it is only happening to panels running on Nvidia GPUs and is only happening with Nvidia drivers.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

AMD Burns GPUs, Nvidia Burns Panels....

What about intel, will they start burning our souls?

I'd make this my sig but I like my current one xD

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

AMD and Nvidia better sort their shit out. When both companies don't give their fullest. The fuck are we left with?

Matrox?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They are all alienware laptops. Coincidence? Because frankly I'm not sure nvidia is the only one to blame here. If it were just the drivers, I'd expect other laptops with similar screens to have this problem, but apparently it doesn't happen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They are all alienware laptops. Coincidence? Because frankly I'm not sure nvidia is the only one to blame here. If it were just the drivers, I'd expect other laptops with similar screens to have this problem, but apparently it doesn't happen.

With laptops it's nearly always the manufacturer, because they're the ones putting the shit together.

Well fuck.  I hope my Clevo/Sager will be alright.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I would be so pissed if this happens to me. I'm already ripped off buying an alienware laptop, and now the gpu company is ganking my ass too? Wtf nvidia.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

What's up with the drivers lately? :(

AMD and Nvidia better sort their shit out. When both companies don't give their fullest. The fuck are we left with?

We're left with a steaming turd, is what.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just made an account to say, this just happened to me yesterday, m18x r2 with single 660m after I downloaded and installed EVGA precision..

Talk about rotten luck!