TN and IPS

Ike2070

Hello. I just wanted to ask, are TN monitors that bad compared to IPS monitors? 

Thanks in advance! 

EDIT: do you guys know any good budget IPS monitor? (24") 

Yeah, pretty much. Then can look OK when viewed straight on but are still noticeably worse than IPS.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

It's all about personal preference.  IPS generally delivers much better colors than a TN witht he trade off of a lower refresh rate and response time.  If you absolutely need 144HZ and a 1ms response time, get a TN otherwise, I would suggest ips.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Depends, some TN are pretty decent, just IPS expect a low end IPS panel to compare to a high end TN, if its a fantastic IPS panel, then the TN probably doesn't compare.

Reviews are the way to go when you've got your choice down To a few choices.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The colors aren't the greatest on TN monitors . But Id choose 144hz tn over any 60hz ips, since I'm very competitive.. Cant wait for IPS 144HZ to come down in price.

do you guys know any good budget IPS monitor? (24") 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Go IPS Or go home, often in a TN panel you'll find a faster GTG time, between 1-2ms where IPS will pretty much always be 5ms, however that 3ms difference is almost impossible to tell apart- the only other times a TN panel is better is if you need a really high refresh rate for competitive gaming. However the better color accuracy and often solid features of a monitor featuring a IPS panel make it the far better option.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I just got two AOC 23 inch IPS monitors- I convinced my friend to get one and they are beautiful in person, here is the link-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V8F700/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WOXHUDF951ZL&coliid=I2IL6V3Y61JCL9

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

This is on sale right now and is an excellent monitor for 1080p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260174&cm_re=U2414H-_-24-260-174-_-Product

You can save some by spending less and getting close panel quality, but this one has the thin bezels and fancy stand. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I think it really depends on the quality of the TN. I found a guide recently on how to correct the Gamma and other settings on my ROG swift recently, and it looks REALLY close to my ips pb278Q now. Almost identical.

Obviously it doesn't have the viewing angles, but if I'm at my pc I'm always looking directly at it anyways.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This is all based on personally preference... my friend uses 60hz TN 5ms monitor and still able to reach global elite before the ban waves.  

Magical Pineapples

I agree with connorpiper - get the Dell U2414H if possible. The colors are awesome and precalibrated.

But if your budget is really tight, I have the Asus VS239H-P and it still has very nice colors, not to mention it's matte. 

There's only a small difference in color between high-end TN panels and budget/mid-range IPS panels at TN's optimal angle. But IPS panels should be a better value. 

Go IPS Or go home, often in a TN panel you'll find a faster GTG time, between 1-2ms where IPS will pretty much always be 5ms, however that 3ms difference is almost impossible to tell apart- the only other times a TN panel is better is if you need a really high refresh rate for competitive gaming. However the better color accuracy and often solid features of a monitor featuring a IPS panel make it the far better option.

No no no. The rated GTG time doesn't actually tell you how fast it is. The ACTUAL difference could be lika 25ms TN panel and software tweaked to 1ms gtg, and a 20ms IPS software tweaked to 5ms, which is faster in that situation? The IPS, dell uses nice fast IPS panels. 

In general, expensive TN panels will use faster panels than IPS, and the differece isn't tha rated 1ms vs 5ms, it could be a 19ms and a 35ms.

No no no. The rated GTG time doesn't actually tell you how fast it is. The ACTUAL difference could be lika 25ms TN panel and software tweaked to 1ms gtg, and a 20ms IPS software tweaked to 5ms, which is faster in that situation? The IPS, dell uses nice fast IPS panels. 

In general, expensive TN panels will use faster panels than IPS, and the differece isn't tha rated 1ms vs 5ms, it could be a 19ms and a 35ms.

Do you have an article or something on that? because I'd actually like to read into it then.

But the GTG pixel response time is important for ghosting, and overall how well motion is depicted on your screen, especially when you're playing an FPS and the entire image is shifting. It's not a matter of input lag, it's a matter of motion blur/clarity. 

I personally don't mind less vibrant colors and less viewing angles on my VG248QE. The extremely high refresh rate and low response time more than make up for it. I'd say if you're into media more than games, get yourself an IPS monitor, if not than a responsive TN panel is better.

I personally don't mind less vibrant colors and less viewing angles on my VG248QE. The extremely high refresh rate and low response time more than make up for it. I'd say if you're into media more than games, get yourself an IPS monitor, if not than a responsive TN panel is better.

I will use my monitor mainly for gaming: AAA titles, league of legends, etc.