Alienware X51 GPU Upgrade?

My friend recently gave me his old gaming PC that wasn't working so well, specifically the Alienware X51 R2. It is equipped with an i3-4130, 6GB RAM, and worst of all, a GTX 645 GPU with one gig of vRAM. I'd like to upgrade the GPU to something more current and more powerful, preferably that can handle games like GTA V and Fallout 4. However, anyone who's seen this computer knows it is in a very weird form factor, and definitely not built with future upgrades in mind. If you look at a few pictures, you'll see what I mean. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of a GPU that would fit in this case? (And preferably one that doesn't consume too much power, as I 'd rather not have to replace the weird "power board" as well.) Thanks so much in advance. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a GTX 970...

I generally would prefer an NVIDIA card, but am open to something from AMD as well.

r9 390

it will perform about 4-5% better than a gtx 970 becuse of the new drivers

ye a small form factor 970 gtx maybe the card of choice. However I would ascertain the PSU specs before adding one and I would check there is actual room/expansion available

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

it will perform about 4-5% better than a gtx 970 becuse of the new drivers

but power consumption tho :/ thats what will be the deciding factor in this choice

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

The issue will be your power supply, more than likely that will have to be replaced.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 390 will consume waaaay more energy than a 970, but definitely check how much power that the PSU gives and if there is adequate ventilation

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

but power consumption tho :/ thats what will be the deciding factor in this choice

The 390 uses 40w extra, that's literally a light bulb. And since that's at stock clocks are you telling them not to overclock?

x51 uses external psu

gt745 (oem) is 55w
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-745-oem/specifications

750ti is 65w, will be close enough

760 is 170w, not a good idea
960 is 120w, will work if you can get a bigger psu for it

EDIT: Some quick research shows the GTX750ti fits, however the 390 draw to much power and the PSU can't handle it.

Might add this later...

The 390 will consume waaaay more energy than a 970, but definitely check how much power that the PSU gives and if there is adequate ventilation

The 390 uses 40w extra, that's literally a light bulb. And since that's at stock clocks are you telling them not to overclock?

Basically what he said. Also, 320W total power consumption compared to 280-300W on a 970.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

40w can be the deciding factor if hes limited on power

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

40w can be the deciding factor if hes limited on power

So you're saying they shouldn't overclock? Wouldn't it be better to replace the power supply with a 550w quality unit and overclock a 390 giving them the best performance for their money? And before you say heat, my 390 runs at 54c playing Fallout 4 while being Overclocked.

I think you are confusing a reference 290 for a 390. Happens a lot on this forum. No worries.

750ti is your best bet, it only uses 10w more than the current one and will perform amazing!

The x51 uses an external psu.

Might add this later...

750ti is your best bet, it only uses 10w more than the current one and will perform amazing!

The x51 uses an external psu.

And what wattage is said external PSU? @OP could also get a 950 or 960 if budget allows. (Or 370 or 380 c:)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

If you have a 330w power supply (most powerful shipped from Dell for the X51) which I assume you don't as the components don't require it, I would recommend getting that one first and then get a GTX 960 which Dell was also offering for this pc. Get the one with the reference designed cooler or something really close to it, it will fit just fine.

Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II (ver.2) *** PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 700W *** CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 3 Ghz 12 Mb L2 Cache *** MoBo: Asus Striker Formula II *** GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II *** RAM: 4x Corsair Dominator 1GB DDR2 RAM 1066MHz PC2-8500 240-Pin DIMM CMX21024-8500C5D *** HDDs: Corsair Force Gt 240Gb SSD & Western Digital 2TB Green SATA II HDD *** Creative SOUND BLASTER Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe *** Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Black *** Keyboard: Roccat Arvo *** LCD: LG M2380D

So you're saying they shouldn't overclock? Wouldn't it be better to replace the power supply with a 550w quality unit and overclock a 390 giving them the best performance for their money? And before you say heat, my 390 runs at 54c playing Fallout 4 while being Overclocked.

I think you are confusing a reference 290 for a 390. Happens a lot on this forum. No worries.

ok not to start a flame war but im sensing a bit of a fanboy argumant coming on, and i will not continue if thats whats happening, i have no bias, and i said nothing about heat, i know the 390 is better, im currently trying to get one at the moment to replace my 970. all i was saying is that he said he didnt want to replace the psu therefore even if its a small 40w thats still 40w that he could have used to oc the 970 , with the logic of not changing psu 970 is a better option, you can get a 390 at stock or get a 970 and oc it, in this situation id go 970 if he has plenty power to spare then ya go 390

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

ok not to start a flame war but im sensing a bit of a fanboy argumant coming on, and i will not continue if thats whats happening, i have no bias, and i said nothing about heat, i know the 390 is better, im currently trying to get one at the moment to replace my 970. all i was saying is that he said he didnt want to replace the psu therefore even if its a small 40w thats still 40w that he could have used to oc the 970 , with the logic of not changing psu 970 is a better option, you can get a 390 at stock or get a 970 and oc it, in this situation id go 970 if he has plenty power to spare then ya go 390

Not about backing a company, it's about the information being correct. There is a difference in power usage between the 390 and 970 but that difference is so small it won't affect compatibility. A 550w power supply would allow them to run ether the 970 or 390 comfortably and allow for as much overclocking as they wanted to do worry free. I honestly asking, isn't that a better investment? I brought up heat because after the wattage difference is proven inaccurate heat usually follows, was just trying to speed the conversation along.