I Win ScrapYardWars.

Mcmole

If I find another one your welcome to it for like 30$ +shipping.. Ive got the 2 I'll be using:P

Ah, a bit steep, come on, we're all friends here :D

Well, if we dob't look after our planet, companies will not make money. And he could sell them for scrap prices.

Companies[1] have a legal duty to maximize profits for their shareholders so tend to have a very short term view.

Selling stuff as scrap assumes someone wants to buy it.  OK there are some precious metals etc in a computer but most of it is landfill material (plastic PCB etc) .  Bashed metal cases etc can be recycled. but is it worth the energy etc to get it from the shop to the recyclers and still give a profit ?

Personal anecdote :-

Did a design project at college were it was actually cheaper and easier to just make new glass than use a lorry which could crush glass and transport it back for recycling

[1] Sole operators can have a bit more of a long term view.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Companies[1] have a legal duty to maximize profits for their shareholders so tend to have a very short term view.

Selling stuff as scrap assumes someone wants to buy it. OK there are some precious metals etc in a computer but most of it is landfill material (plastic PCB etc) . Bashed metal cases etc can be recycled. but is it worth the energy etc to get it from the shop to the recyclers and still give a profit ?

Personal anecdote :-

Did a design project at college were it was actually cheaper and easier to just make new glass than use a lorry which could crush glass and transport it back for recycling

[1] Sole operators can have a bit more of a long term view.

Companies have a legal duty to obey the law.

For electronics, the energy cost is below the material cost. You have major companies who specialize in recycling electronics for a reason and, even though their processes are not that environmentaly friendly, they are still a lot better than rare earth extraction in the mines in inner Mongolia.

Luckily there are new laws being drafted that will make proper disposal and recycling mandatory and ease modularity in closed systems.

Again, if this one planet, which is the only one we have, is not taken care off, no one will make a profit.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Companies have a legal duty to obey the law.

Sorry, but I am going to ask you for a cite of the law that states you must recycle. There are laws that say you can't dump heavy metals etc but (AFAIKBICBW) there aree none that state you must recycle (beyond local ordinances).

"This too shall pass"

Sorry, but I am going to ask you for a cite of the law that states you must recycle. There are laws that say you can't dump heavy metals etc but (AFAIKBICBW) there aree none that state you must recycle (beyond local ordinances).

The law is being discussed and planned in Europe and is bound to be presented for voting on the European parliament in late 2016 early 2017 and will introduce standards to the industry regarding electronic waste disposal (all electronics not just computers) also, increased modularity on devices shuch as laptops.

This is the continuation of the iirc 2008 law that among other things replaced the standard flame retardants found on computers to more eco friendly ones. Apple was at the forefront of this change followed by ACER and some other companies and the end result was that the price of these materials (which were more expensive than the standard ones) dropped below those more polluting ones making computers better for your health and better for the environment.

There are also people working to bring these changes to China together and trying to set better standards to rare earth extraction but that is a lot harder as you can imagine.

Still with deep sea mining of Rare elements starting to be a thing it might be a way to pressure China into changing or their supply will be rendered useless.

Deep Sea extraction has other problems but is a nice interim solution while further research on alternatives is done (1 Km2 of deep sea mining can supply the world for a number of years. Proper recycling electronics will bring an extra boost to rare earths availability which will be good for everyone.

Again, without this one planet we have, we are screwed.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

The law is being discussed and planned in Europe and is bound to be presented for voting on the European parliament in late 2016 early 2017 and will introduce standards to the industry regarding electronic waste disposal (all electronics not just computers) also, increased modularity on devices shuch as laptops.

This is the continuation of the iirc 2008 law that among other things replaced the standard flame retardants found on computers to more eco friendly ones. Apple was at the forefront of this change followed by ACER and some other companies and the end result was that the price of these materials (which were more expensive than the standard ones) dropped below those more polluting ones making computers better for your health and better for the environment.

There are also people working to bring these changes to China together and trying to set better standards to rare earth extraction but that is a lot harder as you can imagine.

Still with deep sea mining of Rare elements starting to be a thing it might be a way to pressure China into changing or their supply will be rendered useless.

Deep Sea extraction has other problems but is a nice interim solution while further research on alternatives is done (1 Km2 of deep sea mining can supply the world for a number of years. Proper recycling electronics will bring an extra boost to rare earths availability which will be good for everyone.

'Will'  'planned' and ' being disscused'.  Yes all good but, as is, there is no law which says you cannot destroy your own stuff so it has to be recycled rather than re-used.

Again, without this one planet we have, we are screwed.

I totally agree , but as things stand a manager will not be fined for ensuring stuff put out is not working.

Re-use rather than recycle is a good idea, however it is not (yet) law.

"This too shall pass"

'Will'  'planned' and ' being disscused'.  Yes all good but, as is, there is no law which says you cannot destroy your own stuff so it has to be recycled rather than re-used.

I totally agree , but as things stand a manager will not be fined for ensuring stuff put out is not working.

Re-use rather than recycle is a good idea, however it is not (yet) law.

Yes. And in my previous post I say should not must ;)

Still it is in planning stages but it will happen. What remains to be fought over is the extent. Obviously the industry wants to commitment non-mandatory and would prefer a voluntary agreement and the extent of these measures is still up for debate. But something will be put into paper in a one year span.

So you don't want to get free stuff? Or am I missing something, because the law will make companies not give anything to you,but rather scrap it.

So you don't want to get free stuff? Or am I missing something, because the law will make companies not give anything to you,but rather scrap it.

Think you are reading your own interperatation into various posts no-one has said (or infered) that they do not want free stuff .

The to and fro between Miguel and myself was about managers being fined for ensuring stuff that is put out is actually scrap .

"This too shall pass"

They are pretty much useless at this point in time though.

umno

You can easily run something like Open Media Vault and make a NAS with one with no issues.

I ran it on a P4 @ 2.4GHz with Hyperthreading. Barely went past 50% total utilization with a bunch of plugins and crap.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

this manager is getting fired, its bad for buisness to let others dig in your trash (because they can get free parts) where i work we have to destroy everything that goes in the trash

Whoever is in charge at your job should be fined. Trashing computer and other electronic parts and not properly disposing them is a huge fine where I'm from and most places I've lived. A place my friend worked (small repair shop) had to close down because they couldn't cover all the fines they received (they were lazy and just throwing whole pc's in the dumpster). 

Smarter to let pickers dig through parts you are getting rid of because you don't have to pay to recycle them (or at least waste the time to recycle them). Not like op was digging thru the dumpster, just a used parts bin.

Also like how op didn't give the name of the store. He wants to keep his treasure find to himself! :D

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Whoever is in charge at your job should be fined. Trashing computer and other electronic parts and not properly disposing them is a huge fine where I'm from and most places I've lived. A place my friend worked (small repair shop) had to close down because they couldn't cover all the fines they received (they were lazy and just throwing whole pc's in the dumpster).

I rather think the parts were to be recycled, the manager just making sure the parts to be recycled didn't work .  I do not think it was a case of "break it so it doesn't work then we can put it in the normal bucket".  More a case of "make sure that doesn't work before you put it in the recycling so people have to come into the shop and buy from us".

"This too shall pass"

umno

You can easily run something like Open Media Vault and make a NAS with one with no issues.

I ran it on a P4 @ 2.4GHz with Hyperthreading. Barely went past 50% total utilization with a bunch of plugins and crap.

first of all , i mean normal , single core p4s, not hyperthreaded lga 775 ones.

Also , considering my 1ghz p3 setup has a hard time running xp or any linux distro , i would assume the p4 ( with a much lower ipc) , would fair hardly better.

It can't run most web apps or youtube..

And for a nas , even an atom would be a better choice , with better support , less heat and power consumption.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

So... Recently (last 3 months for so) I have found a PC shop (Well known company) where they throw out old PC parts. I noticed this one day whilst i was out the back of the store.

Anyway it grabbed my interest and I went in and asked the manager of the store about all the components in the bin. He said "Yea, they are to be recycled, and you can go through them and take what you like, just don't make a mess". 

Anyway, I went out the back and started digging with my trusty magnetic Philips head...

Holy crap man, What people through away...And the best bit? Its a regular thing... They restock the bin of old PC's every week or so...

So I have been going back once a week for around 2 months and here is some of the spoils I have found and brought back with me.

Case's:

X2 Full ATX Gaming Towers

Hard Drives:

X1 1TB WD HDD

X2 WD 3.5'' 500Gb HDD's

x4 100-250GB HDD's off many different makes.

CPU's:

X2 Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q6000

Intel® Pentium 4 Processor 540

Intel® Core2 Duo Processor E6320

Motherboards:

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366

Gigabyte GA-946-S3 LGA 775

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155

GPU's:

Radeon HD 2600 XT

XFX GeForce 9800 GT

RAM:

X6 1GB DDR2

X3 2GB DDR2

PSU's:

X2 Coolermaster 500w RS-500-PCAR-13

400Watt ATX Powersupply

And linus would kill them but...

X1 Noctua NF-F12

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 CPU Cooler

And another X5 120mm Fans...

So... Yea..

Lets just say Im going to be going there Farly regularly:)

Already building a system out of it for a friend who really needs one.

And I will also try and get a FreeNas Box system for myself... :)

where is this place though?

first of all , i mean normal , single core p4s, not hyperthreaded lga 775 ones.

Also , considering my 1ghz p3 setup has a hard time running xp or any linux distro , i would assume the p4 ( with a much lower ipc) , would fair hardly better.

It can't run most web apps or youtube..

And for a nas , even an atom would be a better choice , with better support , less heat and power consumption.

This is the old Northwood chip that deals with S478. Slow as tits in molasses for the stuff I do now.

And no, the Atom is NOT better IMO. They lack the balls to do some things that my old Dell could do.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is the old Northwood chip that deals with S478. Slow as tits in molasses for the stuff I do now.

And no, the Atom is NOT better IMO. They lack the balls to do some things that my old Dell could do.

much more power efficient than a p4.

Not to mention it can run windows 10 and youtube

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

much more power efficient than a p4.

Not to mention it can run windows 10 and youtube

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Atom? Do YouTube? I had one, it couldn't.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Atom? Do YouTube? I had one, it couldn't.

What atom was it?

Im pretty aure an atom, celeron n or pentium n could run youtube.

What atom was it?

Im pretty aure an atom, celeron n or pentium n could run youtube.

I've had the most experience with the N270, some with the N280, and then some later one from like 2013 and 2014 that were meh at best.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I've had the most experience with the N270, some with the N280, and then some later one from like 2013 and 2014 that were meh at best.

But anyway, for something like a nas or server, its probably best to use a low power chip instead of a 90+w chip based on ancient tech

-snip-

Are you freakin' KIDDING ME!?!? And I thought I had made some great scores through Craigslist! :blink:

Where is this magical place you speak of!?!?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Motherboards:

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775

Thank you! I've been trying to remember that motherboard for months now!

Oh wow

I sure hope you used that Q6600 and the P5K Deluxe mobo along with the 2GB DIMMs and AMD 2600XT and make a sweet gaming rig

Is the 1TB WD drive the Raptor drive?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Found an Athlon x4 and an old Foxconn mobo in electronics recycling bins at my local landfill. Went back the next day, found a decent mid tower case and a Gigabyte hd 6750! All of the parts work, and I threw an old power supply and some extra ram in it and gave it to my friend who had no money for a pc. I should probably go back there again!

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

Found an Athlon x4 and an old Foxconn mobo in electronics recycling bins at my local landfill. Went back the next day, found a decent mid tower case and a Gigabyte hd 6750! All of the parts work, and I threw an old power supply and some extra ram in it and gave it to my friend who had no money for a pc. I should probably go back there again!

You guys need to share these places. I really wanted to offer a rig for christmas to a friend of mine (Q6600 or better) but even in second hand it would be an expensive gift... Partly because people ask way way over what a part is worth. I acrually found a couple of 780ti fpr sale that were fairly priced (around 280€) which is what some people are asking for their uber 7970s believe it or not...

And asking more for an i5-2500k than a new skylake i3 is worth... Totaly bonkers...