RCA on modern cards?

Turismo98

Hello everyone,

So I just found out that my old CRT TV is still working and I moved it from the basement to my room in a desperate hope to make use of it.

My rig has a Sapphire R9 270x Dual-X and I was thinking about plugging my PC into my old CRT TV.

I found one of these cables in a local shop, I can plug it in my card using a DVI to VGA adapter (that I already have), and then to the old CRT TV.

Would this work though?

Has anyone tried this before?

I would appreciate your help.

Mind explaining please?+

I'm not understanding why this needs explaining. I'm not convinced you could send a signal to it.

But again. But, why? I literally got a 900p monitor out of the trash.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'm not understanding why this needs explaining. I'm not convinced you could send a signal to it.

But again. But, why? I literally got a 900p monitor out of the trash.

VGA has an analog signal.

I'm pretty sure there's no trouble in converting analog to analog.

Pretty sure you need some sort of active adapter for this and not just a plain cable. As I've tried such a thing in the past and it sure didn't work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Mind explaining please?+

VGA Signal =/= Composite  Signal.

Cables like this are meant specifically for equipment that supports their use. In this case equipment where the VGA input or output socket supports Component (YPbPr/YUV). So unless your PC/laptop's graphics card VGA or main VGA sockets say they support a Component signal this adapter will not work. Simple.

VGA has an analog signal.

I'm pretty sure there's no trouble in converting analog to analog.

You have to have an Active adapter for it to work.

You have to have an Active adapter for it to work.

If it's dvi-I you dont. Thus has analog pins in addition to the digital pins. The analog signal will work with rca and component video

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

If it's dvi-I you dont. Thus has analog pins in addition to the digital pins. The analog signal will work with rca and component video

No, that isn't how it works. If I matched up the coloured cables of my houses power to a USB adapter, it wouldn't have control over my power, I'd have a dead computer.

Digital signals are not the same, Analogue signals are not the same. In MOST cases, it wont work!

Why not go to a thrift store and pick up a monitor for less than that cable costs, or garage sale? Does this set have sentimental value, or are we off the reservation on this for giggles?

Why not go to a thrift store and pick up a monitor for less than that cable costs, or garage sale? Does this set have sentimental value, or are we off the reservation on this for giggles?

The old CRT TV is bigger, and I can use it to watch movies or TV online. Also I can't find any monitor with the same size for a price that is lower than the price of the cable or even the active adapter. Besides that, I'm very curious when it comes to electronics and stuff, so I'm trying to learn something new here, if you don't mind.

Plus, I don't see why you're discussing my intentions because this isn't the issue here. The issue is rather explaining why this can or can't work.

Actually, some CRT's work and some don't. You can easily use a passive VGA to compoNENT adapter, like the one in OP's post, but that requires the TV to accept that as an input (either through SCART or standalone), which not all televisions do. CompoSITE, on the other hand (you know, the yellow one) is almost universally accepted. Try and find an adapter for that.

EDIT: Whether or not component works also depends on the GPU apparently. Did not know that. Anyway, a HDMI to composite thing will be more reliable.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The old CRT TV is bigger, and I can use it to watch movies or TV online. Also I can't find any monitor with the same size for a price that is lower than the price of the cable or even the active adapter. Besides that, I'm very curious when it comes to electronics and stuff, so I'm trying to learn something new here, if you don't mind.

Plus, I don't see why you're discussing my intentions because this isn't the issue here. The issue is rather explaining why this can or can't work.

Let me welcome you to the Internet, where your intentions are much more interesting than you not accepting it's not going to work. As my father used to say, you can't put a five pounds in a two pound bag.

Size isn't everything. Resolution is everything. You'll see that if you manage to pull this off. Or if you want to save money, go to your local electronics store and adjust the resolution of a monitor to 480. Check out those icons. Funny stuff. Then go to a thrift store and buy a 10 dollar 900p monitor.

Actually, some CRT's work and some don't. You can easily use a passive VGA to compoNENT adapter, like the one in OP's post, but that requires the TV to accept that as an input (either through SCART or standalone), which not all televisions do. CompoSITE, on the other hand (you know, the yellow one) is almost universally accepted. Try and find an adapter for that.

EDIT: Whether or not component works also depends on the GPU apparently. Did not know that. 

Could you explain the part about SCART and standalone?

Also, I've just figured the difference between Composite and Component.

My TV has both.

Could you explain the part about SCART and standalone?

Also, I've just figured the difference between Composite and Component.

My TV has both.

Easiest and cheapest for you would be HDMI to composite. Analog to analog active adapters can get bulky and expensive.

SCART was a connector that looks somewhat like VGA but much bigger. It also carries audio. It's more common in Europe. Most devices that have a composite output come with a composite to scart adapter. 

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.