1080p gaming - Gigabyte R9 390 vs GTX 970 "Gaming G1"

Clancy

And that's exactly why I don't like the generic fandom I see here a lot. Yes the 390 is a great card, but there's miles between the different examples made by different companies. Even within Sapphire there are differences, Jay did a piece on this.

Much like with the 970 - Asus' puny strix cooler barely keeps it from throttling whereas EVGA's coolers do a MUCH better job

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Jayztwocents?

Yep, He showed how the OC version smokes the non-OC 390. Funny thing is the OC comes with a back plate and better performance for the same price as the regular NITRO. The NITRO OC is no frills though. No LEDS, but the back plate is damn sexy and looks very Tron like under blue light.

Much like with the 970 - Asus' puny strix cooler barely keeps it from throttling whereas EVGA's coolers do a MUCH better job

I want to test a EVGA 970 sooooo bad. Ich will.... If I get the money in time I might make the worst monetary decision of my life and get the Fallout 4 SSC. Reasons

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yep, He showed how the OC version smokes the non-OC 390. Funny thing is the OC comes with a back plate and better performance for the same price as the regular NITRO. The NITRO OC is no frills though. No LEDS, but the back plate is damn sexy and looks very Tron like under blue light.

I want to test a EVGA 970 sooooo bad. Ich will.... If I get the money in time I might make the worst monetary decision of my life and get the Fallout 4 SSC. Reasons

Can I have it afterwards? I need a new card (RiP 280)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA/56839-04G-P4-2978-KR Something along these lines? Its like $20 more than the Gigabyte G1 970

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA/56839-04G-P4-2978-KR Something along these lines? Its like $20 more than the Gigabyte G1 970

EVGA is bae

If I was to get a 970 it would be a EVGA, but a back plate isn't just for looks and it's important to get one if you can. The backplate protects the GPU and allows for better cooling. Between the Nitro 390 and the 970 get the one that's the cheapest, they're just about the same card. Only difference is the VRAM where the Nitro has the advantage.

Can I have it afterwards? I need a new card (RiP 280)

Already gave the Vapor-x to the Frau. No way I'll part with the Nitro, we have a thing going on (Yes I call my Nitro Frau Jones) But I do hope you get a card soon, and if anyone deserves a 390 it's you. I've said it before if AMD was smart they would send you one.

I'm building my cousin a computer and he is looking at the Gigabyte R9 390. It's about the same price as the Gigabyte GTX 970 (around $500 AUD) and I've always been a team green guy but purely on paper the AMD card looks better. I've got a GTX 670 atm which is starting to struggle with newer games and I'm wondering if I should jump ship with my cousin or stick with NVIDIA. 

Cheers :)

If you want a 970 they're like $220 on EVGA B stock, but otherwise get a 390  unless you have a Nvidia shield and want to use game streaming

They still overheat compared to 970 IMO.

The 'IMO' immediately invalidated your statement. Overheating would be if the graphics card has to thermal throttle to avoid damage, unless you're using your own definition of overheating, which would make your statement irrelevant.

The custom cooler 390s don't do overheat. The power consumption and heat argument is best used for SFF builds.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

The 'IMO' immediately invalidated your statement. Overheating would be if the graphics card has to thermal throttle to avoid damage, unless you're using your own definition of overheating, which would make your statement irrelevant.

The custom cooler 390s don't do overheat. The power consumption and heat argument is best used for SFF builds.

Even then - thanks to GPU Boost 2.0 the differences are small

The only reason I use the SFF argument is because in a small space, outputting as little heat as possible is best so you don't heat soak the other components in the build. For builds like that, definitely 970.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

This^

All the arguments about heat and wattage are based off of "minimum maximum" speeds, not overclocking. 9/10 that same person uses the argument that the 970 will overclock more. The lack of logic causes physical pain to the reader.

There was a thread regarding this - 40% of 100 people on LTT have coil whine with G1 or Strix 970/980s

That's just plain silly and a wholly unreliable method for determining the prevalence of a problem.  

It's not like people go on to the internet with the intention of specifically reporting the lack of a problem.

The technical term for you error is called selection bias.

"Selection bias is the selection of individuals, groups or data for analysis in such a way that proper randomization is not achieved, thereby ensuring that the sample obtained is not representative of the population intended to be analyzed. It is sometimes referred to as the selection effect. The phrase "selection bias" most often refers to the distortion of a statistical analysis, resulting from the method of collecting samples. If the selection bias is not taken into account, then some conclusions of the study may not be accurate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

That's just plain silly and a wholly unreliable method for determining the prevalence of a problem.  

It's not like people go on to the internet with the intention of specifically reporting the lack of a problem.

The technical term for you error is called selection bias.

"Selection bias is the selection of individuals, groups or data for analysis in such a way that proper randomization is not achieved, thereby ensuring that the sample obtained is not representative of the population intended to be analyzed. It is sometimes referred to as the selection effect. The phrase "selection bias" most often refers to the distortion of a statistical analysis, resulting from the method of collecting samples. If the selection bias is not taken into account, then some conclusions of the study may not be accurate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

Where's the person complaining about coil whine with a Sapphire? See the point?

If you want a 970 they're like $220 on EVGA B stock, but otherwise get a 390  unless you have a Nvidia shield and want to use game streaming

Omg i totally forgot about my Shield. Welp, guess im getting an NVIDIA card hahaha...

Between this: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/AMD/61054-11244-01-41G and this: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA/56839-04G-P4-2978-KR do you think its worth spending the extra $40?

Omg i totally forgot about my Shield. Welp, guess im getting an NVIDIA card hahaha...

Between this: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/AMD/61054-11244-01-41G and this: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA/56839-04G-P4-2978-KR do you think its worth spending the extra $40?

If you go 970 I highly advise getting one with a back plate. It's not just a looks thing, there are real benefits to one. One of the biggest is it protects the GPU from static.

What is a Shield?

If you go 970 I highly advise getting one with a back plate. It's not just a looks thing, there are real benefits to one. One of the biggest is it protects the GPU from static.

What is a Shield?

Hmmm I see the EVGA FTW+ has a backplate. What else would you recommend?

This is a shield - http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv Even though ive only been using it for netflix lol

Hmmm I see the EVGA FTW+ has a backplate. What else would you recommend?

This is a shield - http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv Even though ive only been using it for netflix lol

Hmmm, that's interesting. Have to admit that's interesting. I wouldn't use it as I'm a monitor snob and think controllers should be destroyed on sight using as much fire as possible. But I digress.

I personally think it's wiser to go with a higher factory overclocked graphics cards and use it at that speed. Sure you "may" be able to overclock a less expensive card to the same level, but why gamble? Also with higher overclock speeds comes higher temperatures, and unless you have a blower style cooler than means higher case temps. Higher case temps effect your RAM, CPU, SSD, HDD, Motherboard, and anything else placed in that case that must dissipate heat. So are those 2-3fps gained with an overclock worth it? Not to me. Also running a 1080p monitor at 60hz means 60fps is the goal, and that goal is obtainable without overclocking past the factory settings with a 390 or a 970. So spend a little more on a better factory overclock and cooler, that's the best advise I can give.

Thanks OP for making this post.

This is also what I want to ask, and I see more replies here (both logical and plain silly)

Where's the person complaining about coil whine with a Sapphire? See the point?

Hm, you're making a really good point throughout this post and in mine. Now I'm kinda 50-50 right now for the R9 390 and GTX 970 which is a big improvement from 80-20 back then (Green team bias about heat + power draw). Good job.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Thanks OP for making this post.

This is also what I want to ask, and I see more replies here (both logical and plain silly)

Hm, you're making a really good point throughout this post and in mine. Now I'm kinda 50-50 right now for the R9 390 and GTX 970 which is a big improvement from 80-20 back then (Green team bias about heat + power draw). Good job.

Good news is at this point you literally can't lose. I'd happily place ether in my case. I'd say the 390 has the most potential for improvement, just because Radeon is trying to prove something with the new UI, features, and drivers. But, that could go sideways too it they try too hard to be Nvidia.

Good news is at this point you literally can't lose. I'd happily place ether in my case. I'd say the 390 has the most potential for improvement, just because Radeon is trying to prove something with the new UI, features, and drivers. But, that could go sideways too it they try too hard to be Nvidia.

Know any R9 390s with a backplate? I'm currently looking for one.

Also, since I think OP got his answer, just a quick question - 

If say, I'm planning to upgrade to Pascal later on, would I, getting a GTX 970/R9 390, be a waste compared to if I get an R9 380X instead.

It actually takes a long time for me to save up again (because reasons), and selling 2nd hand GPUs in my area isn't that popular, usually goes for almost half price if used less than a year.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

If say, I'm planning to upgrade to Pascal later on, would I, getting a GTX 970/R9 390, be a waste compared to if I get an R9 380X instead.

It actually takes a long time for me to save up again (because reasons), and selling 2nd hand GPUs in my area isn't that popular, usually goes for almost half price if used less than a year.

The Nitro 390 OC I have came with a backplate, sexy one at that. I can provide sexy pics if requested.

Depends on what you do, the 380x is nice but the 390 blows it out of the water. So if you like AAA titles and high settings the 970/390 choice is a good one.

Since you have a shield and are getting the 970, this is the best deal you will likely be able to find http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2972-RX

The Nitro 390 OC I have came with a backplate, sexy one at that. I can provide sexy pics if requested.

Depends on what you do, the 380x is nice but the 390 blows it out of the water. So if you like AAA titles and high settings the 970/390 choice is a good one.

Yeah, Sapphire does the late addition backplate sometimes.

I'll just ask my local store about it. Anyway, I'll think about it more a bit. Thanks :D

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

I think it's harder to find a 390 without a backplate than the other way around. XFX, MSI, Sapphire, and PowerColor (you really shouldn't consider any brand apart from these) 390s all have backplates.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit