1080p gaming - Gigabyte R9 390 vs GTX 970 "Gaming G1"

Clancy

Know any R9 390s with a backplate? I'm currently looking for one.

Also, since I think OP got his answer, just a quick question - 

If say, I'm planning to upgrade to Pascal later on, would I, getting a GTX 970/R9 390, be a waste compared to if I get an R9 380X instead.

It actually takes a long time for me to save up again (because reasons), and selling 2nd hand GPUs in my area isn't that popular, usually goes for almost half price if used less than a year.

If you've actually made up your mind to upgrade to either Pascal and Greenland, I would go even lower and get a 380.

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed I replied to the same comment twice thinking they were different.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

http://www.overclockers.com/Galax-GTX970HOF-Review/

:) I dont have one, but here is a review.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Where's the person complaining about coil whine with a Sapphire? See the point?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  That is a principle common to logic, science, and law.

Arguing a premise based upon the absence of evidence to the contrary is a logical fallacy, commonly called an argument from ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

See the point?

But, that's not even what I was addressing.  What I was criticizing is the false claims of statistical validity - e.g. "40%" -  to justify a chosen position. 

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. That is a principle common to logic, science, and law.

Arguing a premise based upon the absence of evidence to the contrary is a logical fallacy, commonly called an argument from ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

See the point?

I'd love to discuss post modernism but that's not the topic.

Sapphire has a better reputation for not having coil whine issues. Can a Sapphire card have coil whine, of course it's possible. It's just not as common as any other brand of graphics card.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'd love to discuss post modernism but that's not the topic.

Sapphire has a better reputation for not having coil whine issues. Can a Sapphire card have coil whine, of course it's possible. It's just not as common as any other brand of graphics card.

We are not discussing post modernism, never have been, so spare me the cutesy deflection.

Believe what you choose to believe, just don't think that the argument carries any logical, statistical or scientific weight.

We are not discussing post modernism, never have been, so spare me the cutesy deflection.

Believe what you choose to believe, just don't think that the argument carries any logical, statistical or scientific weight.

Bad form to use "cutesy deflection" in a post that has no content in the context of the topic it's posted in.

But I'll repeat myself. Sapphire has less of an issue with coil whine than any other company. If you have evidence to the contrary you're welcome to present it.

Bad form to use "cutesy deflection" in a post that has no content in the context of the topic it's posted in.

But I'll repeat myself. Sapphire has less of an issue with coil whine than any other company. If you have evidence to the contrary you're welcome to present it.

You are trying to tell me about bad form? Implying that anything I've said here had anything to do with postmodernism was entirely off topic and out of context. Either that or it was based on flat out ignorance of what the term postemodern means.  So you choose.

And again, I'll repeat myself, you can choose to believe whatever you want to believe - that is called opinion, and as the saying goes, everyone has one.

Just don't think that you have any actual evidence to support your opinion.  Because, at least so far, you have not provided any.

Likewise, that I have not argued in favor of any position, cannot be taken as an argument for any position.  I don't know any more about this than you do. 

The only difference between us is that I'm just not willing to pretend otherwise.

You are trying to tell me about bad form? Implying that anything I've said here had anything to do with postmodernism was entirely off topic and out of context. Either that or it was based on flat out ignorance of what the term postemodern means. So you choose.

And again, I'll repeat myself, you can choose to believe whatever you want to believe - that is called opinion, and as the saying goes, everyone has one.

Just don't think that you have any actual evidence to support your opinion. Because, at least so far, you have not provided any.

Likewise, that I have not argued in favor of any position, cannot be taken as an argument for any position. I don't know any more about this than you do.

The only difference between us is that I'm just not willing to pretend otherwise.

What evidence would you accept?

What evidence would you accept?

A random survey of known owners of whatever cards are being compared.  If the response rate was sufficiently large the data could be statistically valid.

A random survey of known owners of whatever cards are being compared. If the response rate was sufficiently large the data could be statistically valid.

Please hold

A random survey of known owners of whatever cards are being compared.  If the response rate was sufficiently large the data could be statistically valid.

Now be gone with ye.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67822-graphics-card-coil-whine-investigation.html

And surprisingly Asus has the best record if you go off percentage.

Now be gone with ye.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67822-graphics-card-coil-whine-investigation.html

And surprisingly Asus has the best record if you go off percentage.

Yeah I expected something such.

What parts of random, and sufficiently large do you not understand?  

I don't mean that as snark, I really mean it - do you understand the basics of what makes statistics a valid process?  The largest cohort in that data set is nine cards.   Just how many GTX 780 cards have been sold?  And eve worse, some of those 'groups' are a single card.  That is an insiginificantly small sample of them.  In other words, it's anecdotes at best.  No different than you or I reporting our own limited experience.

Not that it's not interesting information, not that people cannot choose to draw conclusions from it, just that if they do they need to make it clear just what information that they are basing any pronouncements upon.

But do go back and read that entire Wiki on selection bias to get a better idea of what you are missing.

Yeah I expected something such.

What parts of random, and sufficiently large do you not understand?  

I don't mean that as snark, I really mean it - do you understand the basics of what makes statistics a valid process?  The largest cohort in that data set is nine cards.  Just how many GTX 780 cards have been sold?  That is an insiginificantly small sample of them.  In other words, it's anecdotes at best.  No different than you or I reporting our own limited experience.

Not that it's not interesting information, not that people cannot choose to draw conclusions from it, just that if they do they need to make it clear just what information that they are basing any pronouncements upon.

But do go back and read that entire Wiki on selection bias to get a better idea of what you are missing.

I'm trying to be polite here. So if you want to turn this academic you'll have to stop referring to wiki. As a college student that's a bit of a red flag.

Let's take a step back, what is your grievance? Do you think Sapphire has a problem with shipping units that have coil whine? Or is it something else?

I'm trying to be polite here. So if you want to turn this academic you'll have to stop referring to wiki. As a college student that's a bit of a red flag.

Let's take a step back, what is your grievance? Do you think Sapphire has a problem with shipping units that have coil whine? Or is it something else?

As a Doctor of Pharmacy, who has completed graduate level courses in statistics, is fluent in SAS, and who routinely evaluates the statistical validity of research papers and drug studies I can tell you that the wiki article is quite acceptable.  (And selection bias is a real problem in medical research.)

In general the less controversial the topic the more reliable wikis tend to be.  General principles of statistics are not exactly a hot button issue.  The article is fine, but if you doubt me then go to your school library and look up the same topic in a statistics course manual and read up. 

Maybe the problem is that you think I have a "grievance" specific to graphics cards.  I don't, and really don't have a dog in that fight, so I'll let that pass.

What I have a problem with is exactly the things I have refuted - the use of faulty/invalid statistics as a form of argumentation, and the use of logical fallacy as a form of argumentation.  Because, as you see, not everyone here has learned, or understands these concepts, so can be prone to fall for such forms of false argumentation.

Stop and think for a second - I have said nothing - nothing- up until this moment about Sapphire cards.  You are the one who wants to make it about Sapphire card.  I don't.

As a Doctor of Pharmacy, who has completed graduate level courses in statistics, is fluent in SAS, and who routinely evaluates the statistical validity of research papers and drug studies I can tell you that the wiki article is quite acceptable.  (And selection bias is a real problem in medical research.)

In general the less controversial the topic the more reliable wikis tend to be.  General principles of statistics are not exactly a hot button issue.  The article is fine, but if you doubt me then go to your school library and look up the same topic in a statistics course manual and read up. 

Maybe the problem is that you think I have a "grievance" specific to graphics cards.  I don't, and really don't have a dog in that fight, so I'll let that pass.

What I have a problem with is exactly the things I have refuted - the use of faulty/invalid statistics as a form of argumentation, and the use of logical fallacy as a form of argumentation.  Because, as you see, not everyone here has learned, or understands these concepts, so can be prone to fall for such forms of false argumentation.

Stop and think for a second - I have said nothing - nothing- up until this moment about Sapphire cards.  You are the one who wants to make it about Sapphire card.  I don't.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding.

You see we're mud wrestling. Or jello if you so prefer. So I am in mud wrestling mode. There are no rules to mud/jello wrestling. And it's rare that anyone in the pit expects anything resembling a rule, and if rules are brought up the chances are quite high they have never seen a rule book in their life.

So, takes me a bit to first believe the person is serious, then a moment to change gears. You have to admit the wiki thing was a bit of a red herring as wiki is not something to be used in an academic situation.

Good news though! I was throwing mud/jello, I got nothing. Just bored. Chances are I could have the worst coil whine ever known and not know it, not really my two cards are pretty quiet but my experience only extends to the two. So not only do I lack any quantifiable evidence, I would have a hard time interpreting anything qualifiable.

Good times though, goooood times.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding.

You see we're mud wrestling. Or jello if you so prefer. So I am in mud wrestling mode. There are no rules to mud/jello wrestling. And it's rare that anyone in the pit expects anything resembling a rule, and if rules are brought up the chances are quite high they have never seen a rule book in their life.

So, takes me a bit to first believe the person is serious, then a moment to change gears. You have to admit the wiki thing was a bit of a red herring as wiki is not something to be used in an academic situation.

Good news though! I was throwing mud/jello, I got nothing. Just bored. Chances are I could have the worst coil whine ever known and not know it, not really my two cards are pretty quiet but my experience only extends to the two. So not only do I lack any quantifiable evidence, I would have a hard time interpreting anything qualifiable.

Good times though, goooood times.

Yeah, such is the nature of the internet.  Where everyone assumes that people are not arguing in good faith. 

I still do not see Wikipedia as a red herring, but, upon thinking about it, I realize I only link to wiki articles that are of a reference/academic nature, same as I'd link to Webster's Online.  I'd never link to a wiki on global warming or medical marijuana for the very obvious reasons.  But once you develop some expertise in 'safe' areas I think you too will recognize that Wikipedia gets a bad rap when the vast majority of what it contains is actually pretty reliable.  ie. Nobody is going to take the time and effort required to edit in grossly misleading, but credible sounding, information on the topic of tribology.

Your teachers and professors tell you not to use wikipedia because it is "unreliable" but their real concern is that it is a lot like using Cliff Notes - a quick and lazy shortcut.  They want you going to the primary sources and learning how to learn.