Samsung or Intel ssds

Agent181

So who is more reliable, I know the two ssd makers are the best around but who has better reliable drives.

This came to me when deciding my next ssd, 850 pro vs Intel 730 series

I'd say Intel for reliability, Samsung for performance.

Honestly both make great SSDs and you'll be happy with either.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'd say Intel for reliability, Samsung for performance.

Honestly both make great SSDs and you'll be happy with either.

Might get both then, not sure still

The 730 is basically an enterprise drive that's been tweaked for enthusiast use.  I have 2 of them.

http://techreport.com/news/28112/new-840-evo-fix-adds-periodic-refresh-to-firmware

The first paragraph and having an 840 Evo die on me completely is why I don't trust Samsung for ssd's.  They trade quality for performance.  No thanks.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

The 730 is basically an enterprise drive that's been tweaked for enthusiast use. I have 2 of them.

This makes me want the Intel one then.

The only reason why I want to move is to be more reliable thing, had a really horrible crash on my HDD that also was my only main/boot drive and it KOed everything, took me 5 hours to recover everything.

This time I'm thinking of doing an ssd just for os another for programs and HDDs for backups and files. Just trying to figure out if both of those ssds should be intel, or Intel and Samsung now

The only reason why I want to move is to be more reliable thing, had a really horrible crash on my HDD that also was my only main/boot drive and it KOed everything, took me 5 hours to recover everything.

This time I'm thinking of doing an ssd just for os another for programs and HDDs for backups and files. Just trying to figure out if both of those ssds should be intel, or Intel and Samsung now

Both Samsung and Intel make fantastic almost fail-free SSD's, and both set very high standards for reliability in the SSD space.  You will not go wrong with any recent drive from both.  I would suggest against getting an enterprise one, as chances are you'll change your PC 2-3 times and SATA will be a dead standard and you still won't even use 5% of it's performance and life span.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I should add crucial makes very reliable ssds as well

the mx line is really good

and about the same price as the samsung evos

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Both Samsung and Intel make fantastic almost fail-free SSD's, and both set very high standards for reliability in the SSD space. You will not go wrong with any recent drive from both. I would suggest against getting an enterprise one, as chances are you'll change your PC 2-3 times and SATA will be a dead standard and you still won't even use 5% of it's performance and life span.

The ssd would be used for about 3-4 years so I need it to last me a while, I can't go changing pcs every year anymore so I have to make sure it will work when I need it to since I will be doing heavy cad work

I should add crucial makes very reliable ssds as well

the mx line is really good

and about the same price as the samsung evos

I'll look into them, all I hear about is how cheap the bx line is and I wonder what magic they do to get the price that low

The ssd would be used for about 3-4 years so I need it to last me a while, I can't go changing pcs every year anymore so I have to make sure it will work when I need it to since I will be doing heavy cad work

Any SSD now will last way more than 3-4 years.  My 2nd hand Intel X-25M G2 has lasted over 6 years and that was ancient in SSD tech terms.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Any SSD now will last way more than 3-4 years. My 2nd hand Intel X-25M G2 has lasted over 6 years and that was ancient in SSD tech terms.

Hmm, in that case I might just go for the 850 pro then, I would look at other ssds but all I remember is the 840 evo crap

I'll look into them, all I hear about is how cheap the bx line is and I wonder what magic they do to get the price that low

the bx line is crippled..thats why its cheap..don't get the bx line...its the mx line you want

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Samsung use the same SSD storage controllers on their consumer SATA SSD's and their Enterprise SATA SSD's. This is actually uncommon and I'm not aware of any other manufacturing doing this, not that I've looked mind you.

In fact almost every part of Samsung SATA SSD's are the same between the consumer and enterprise variants. The only difference is the amount of over provisioning, power loss protection and firmware, beyond the tighter NAND chip binning selection process which is standard for any higher tier product.

If you look at some enterprise SSD reviews you'll quickly see Samsung crush not just Intel but everyone else in I/O consistency, albeit not important for consumer single drive use.

Sandisk makes really nice SSDs as well. I haven't had any issues with them for the past 3 years. I own the Extreme 2 and Extreme Pro.

Before the 850 series came out, Sandisk Extreme Pros were on of top of the charts.

I hope to see a NVMe drive from Sandisk. That would be really cool.

Samsung use the same SSD storage controllers on their consumer SATA SSD's and their Enterprise SATA SSD's. This is actually uncommon and I'm not aware of any other manufacturing doing this, not that I've looked mind you.

In fact almost every part of Samsung SATA SSD's are the same between the consumer and enterprise variants. The only difference is the amount of over provisioning, power loss protection and firmware, beyond the tighter NAND chip binning selection process which is standard for any higher tier product.

If you look at some enterprise SSD reviews you'll quickly see Samsung crush not just Intel but everyone else in I/O consistency, albeit not important for consumer single drive use.

I know Samsung has the best in performance, but what I need is reliability the most

Sandisk makes really nice SSDs as well. I haven't had any issues with them for the past 3 years. I own the Extreme 2 and Extreme Pro.

Before the 850 series came out, Sandisk Extreme Pros were on of top of the charts.

I hope to see a NVMe drive from Sandisk. That would be really cool.

Ok now after all of this the one I will get will be a single 1tb drive not 2, the list comes down to the following

850 pro, mx200, sandisk extreme pro/ultra 2 or Intel 730 series.

That and I will pair them with WD blacks again since I'm only using those at the moment and have saved me.

Ok now after all of this the one I will get will be a single 1tb drive not 2, the list comes down to the following

850 pro, mx200, sandisk extreme pro/ultra 2 or Intel 730 series.

That and I will pair them with WD blacks again since I'm only using those at the moment and have saved me.

Hmm, I personally would buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro (Though I'm biased towards them). Realistically, the 850 Pro is best of the stack (Speed and NAND wise...though I'm kind of bitter as my cousin's 840 Evo lost a lot of speed, even with the firmware update. I know the 850 series doesn't suffer from it, but I can't lie that it hurt my trust in Samsung).

As for reliability, I think all 4 brands will last a while. I have Crucial, Sandisk, and Plextor (Though Plextor kind of died in the SSD market...) SSDs and none of them have died or had any issues so far.

Hmm, I personally would buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro (Though I'm biased towards them).

I'm biased towards Samsung :P Plus the warranty on the 850 Pro is amazing.

Other than that I would say any of the listed options are great, go with the one that you just feel is the right choice.

Hmm, I personally would buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro (Though I'm biased towards them). Realistically, the 850 Pro is best of the stack (Speed and NAND wise...though I'm kind of bitter as my cousin's 840 Evo lost a lot of speed, even with the firmware update. I know the 850 series doesn't suffer from it, but I can't lie that it hurt my trust in Samsung).

As for reliability, I think all 4 brands will last a while. I have Crucial, Sandisk, and Plextor (Though Plextor kind of died in the SSD market...) SSDs and none of them have died or had any issues so far.

What did happen to plextor, the company I use to intern for used them for a while and they worked great

What did happen to plextor, the company I use to intern for used them for a while and they worked great

I have 2 x Intel 730 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 and have not have any problem with them.They also have power loss protection using two capacitors, si if you do now have a UPS and have constant powerloss they are useful.

I do not think that you will see any difference between them in desktop use.

Not really sure...the last SSD they made was several years ago. I hope they make something neat again though.