Project Unstable Table Label Cable Fable

zombiepixel

This is actually going to be my first build log on linustechtips and it is going to be a table. A TABLE WITH A COMPUTER BUILD IN?! No. This is going to be a blog about building my table. A simple build log. A simple build log by a simple build man. (~_~  ) So here goes!

sNPLJV2.png

Reference images for project:

http://cdn.simplifiedbuilding.com/images/projects/800/desk-week-wood-panel-industrial-desk.jpg

So what i used for this desk is Kee Klamps. For those who dont know what Kee Klamps are, they are basicly fittings that allow you to connect pipes togeather with joints. they look like that *look down at images* They can be used for all types of things like railing or structures or anything that you need to combine pipes too! Honestly if you want to learn more look them up they are pretty cool! here is there website: http://www.keeklamp.com/

So why am i building this table? Why not buy one? Well i live in the basement in my moms house (im 18 chill out! not 35...) and so my computer is located at a corner and the problem is that the wall that my current desk is agaisnt has a pipe running straight down and it gets in the way of my table being flush against the wall. So why not build a custom table to solve all my problems! what else is the problem with my current table? The table that i use now is also way to uncomfortable to use... Its too high and it has a keyboard tray which doesnt allow me to have my hand on the mouse be at the same alignment as my keyboard which feels ergonomicly weird when gaming. I want a table which is one solid tabletop that is sturdy rather then an "UNSTABLE TABLE"! some of you may think that buying a table is a way better idea and to that i say "idfc!" i want to do this. I want to spend this crazy amount of money for a table cause its out of love!!

f4qKlSk.jpg

YWjHAfS.jpg

Good idea! IDK how to help tho...

CASE: NZXT S340 CPU: Intel i5-4690K MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X RAM: Corsair 16GB GPU: MSI R9 390 HDD: WD Blue 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB PSU: XFX ATX12V/EPS12V 650W

That table's got a sexy industrial look, it almost turns me on as much as those hairy fingers ;)

p.s. give your hands a trim 

great ! I now know two times the height of the table.. once the depth , but screw the width ! who cares about that.. size is just a number anyway....

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

great ! I now know two times the height of the table.. once the depth , but screw the width ! who cares about that.. size is just a number anyway....

okokokok i now see what u mean lol!!! the drawing is pretty bad :') its 59-Length, 23-Width, 29-Height

• 3 weeks later...

my mom calls it the dooms day desk because it would take the doomsday to destroy this desk.

Looks awesome! Are you planning to add anything so you can do cable management inside the tubing?  It is awesome even if you don't.

Looks awesome! Are you planning to add anything so you can do cable management inside the tubing?  It is awesome even if you don't.

yes i am! um... the back side of the desk will have a long piece of wood(8''x59'') and on that wood will be hooks which i will route cables. it will look very clean when it is done :D

like this: 

oooh, that actually looks quite good. Cool project :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I thought this was gonna be lame after reading your intro. But the finished build is great. Better than most tables out there.

Looks cool, but I think it is a wasted potential TBH. I would try to polish/brush/paint the metal, and drill holes into it. Imaigne ALL cablemanagment inside the pipes. Would be hard to do tho...

edit: what about making the pipes go through, then one pipe across for VESA mounts.

HAWT DAMN! That is a sexy ass table fit for a sasquatch (I kid, we all love your hands and what they created :lol:)

seriously, I would buy that if I saw it in a store (y) 

ps. permission to your design for my own desk?

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

HAWT DAMN! That is a sexy ass table fit for a sasquatch (I kid, we all love your hands and what they created :lol:)

seriously, I would buy that if I saw it in a store (y) 

ps. permission to your design for my own desk?

ye sure once it is done ill put the steps for building it in chat

I thought this was gonna be lame after reading your intro. But the finished build is great. Better than most tables out there.

oh shoot lol! thts not the finished build bruh thts my reference image

oh shoot lol! thts not the finished build bruh thts my reference image

I thought that was the actual desk...I've been tricked! 

ye sure once it is done ill put the steps for building it in chat

Since we both leave in NJ. Care to tell me how much you spent for the parts? Usually can never get a good estimate because the builder lives in Qufalofastienberg...landia...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I thought that was the actual desk...I've been tricked! 

Since we both leave in NJ. Care to tell me how much you spent for the parts? Usually can never get a good estimate because the builder lives in Qufalofastienberg...landia...

I didn't buy the parts in NJ :(

i bought them online from this site: http://www.globalindustrial.com

this is one of the parts: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/fittings-framing-rail/Kee-Klamp-Fittings/kee-klamp-single-socket-tee-5

also they come in different sizes. mine is for 1-1/4"

and TBH it does cost a lot to do bro. My parts not counting the pipe cost or the table top(which i have yet to get) was about $240. The pipes you can get at home depot. :P

ALSO make sure you get aluminum fittings. it is a bit more expensive then the galvanized iron but i think its worth it.

KeeKlampSizes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Idea:

could you use a leg to run cables, running them inside the pip?

you would just need to cut a hole in the top of the desk to the center of the leg underneath. then you would have to cut a hole in the leg were you want the cables to come out, but you could support and clean that up by using a T fitting sideways so that it would support the top and bottom of the cut, and give a clean way for the cables to exit the leg.

Just something i would try.