I hate DVI-D ports, and DVI in general now.

So, I now officially hate the fragmented standard that is DVI. I bought an adapter from monoprice, dvi-vga(adapter name didn't specify type anywhere), because a dispalyport adapter would be too expensive. With what my friend described as orgasmic happiness when it came in the mail, I tried to instantly use so my R9 390 would be usable to my vga 1440x900 monitor. 

Well, to my dismay, it didn't plug in. But knowing that DVI is a fragmented standard. I realised the four pins around the big weird flat pin were in the way. So like a happy, currently ignorant idiot I bent them back, thinking it would be fine. And then it didn't work. So i looked up dvi pinout pics on google to find those pins are necessary for analogue mode. And then i cried(not really), realizing 5 bucks were wasted. And decided I should warn another pour soul here.

And if somebody  could explain to me why my gigabyte r9 390 wf doesn't have a dvi-I, please, i imagine it to keep all ports digital but... my mobo is the same way and it has a vga connector soo......

Also, somebody tell me, a displayport adaptor shouldn't have any such problems should it?

And also, if I could have advice fixing my pins, that'd be nice I got them all back up nice, but can't straighten them nicely, and they and a bit off angle, i probably just need reaaaaaaallly small pliers.

Basic rundown- Dvi is a fragmented standard, and when buying adaptors, be careful and check if your port is DVI-A or DVI-D

And everybody replying, yes I know, i made a simple yet retarded mistake, alright, im here to warn others.

or you could just have bought the correct adapter or actually do some research before buying anything...
This is entirely your own fault. Sorry.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

This isn't about the port more than your inability to google things before messing with them. On the otherhand, dvi is better than hdmi.

DVI is being phased out and most people do not use DVI to VGA adapters. You must also hate USB because that's a fragmented standard as well. HDMI and DP could be considered fragmented too since there are mini versions of the connectors.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This isn't about the port more than your inability to google things before messing with them. On the otherhand, dvi is better than hdmi.

HDMI 1.4 is superior to dual-link DVI. Although I prefer DVI's screw-in lock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

HDMI 1.4 is superior to dual-link DVI. Although I prefer DVI's screw-in lock.

Displayport also has a lock.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Displayport also has a lock.

It's not a screw-in lock though.

DVI is being phased out and most people do not use DVI to VGA adapters. You must also hate USB because that's a fragmented standard as well. HDMI and DP could be considered fragmented too since there are mini versions of the connectors.

I use a DVI to VGA adapter [emoji1]

To everybody saying this is my own screw up, I fully know this, and feel like and absolute idiot. This post was just more to warn others, so you know, somebody may come across this and see, oh, don't do what this idiot did.

and, no, mini-connectors are fine and make sense, and are always in stuffs titles and is obvious. And usb is almost 100% backwards compatible, with the exceptions of the type c port(which would be obvious when ordering)

and, no, mini-connectors are fine and make sense, and are always in stuffs titles and is obvious. And usb is almost 100% backwards compatible, with the exceptions of the type c port(which would be obvious when ordering)

USB still consists of different types of connectors. My keyboard, printer, and smartphone all use a different style of USB even if the end connector for the wall adapter or PC is the same.

yes, I feel like an idiot, I knew before about the three different versions of dvi. I was probally too caught up in oredering the rest of my pc, and I swear, this one site told me that most r9 290s have dvi-i ports, and i thought the rebadge would be the same idea. but apparantly that site, or my assumptions were wrong, or gigabyte felt special when designing my card.

USB still consists of different types of connectors. My keyboard, printer, and smartphone all use a different style of USB even if the end connector for the wall adapter or PC is the same.

yes, but i bet your printer is usb-B, keyboard type b-mini, and smartphone type b-micro, which are all completely different looking connectors, which would be obvious, and serve their purpose as smaller connectors/you know type-B's purpose right.

But yes, I see your point sir.

yes, I feel like an idiot, I knew before about the three different versions of dvi. I was probally too caught up in oredering the rest of my pc, and I swear, this one site told me that most r9 290s have dvi-i ports, and i thought the rebadge would be the same idea. but apparantly that site, or my assumptions were wrong, or gigabyte felt special when designing my card.

I looked up a couple 390X's from ASUS and none of them have DVI-I. Only DVI-D.

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/STRIXR9390XDC3OC8GD5GAMING/

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/R9390XDC28GD5/

I looked up a couple 390X's from ASUS and none of them have DVI-I. Only DVI-D.

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/STRIXR9390XDC3OC8GD5GAMING/

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/R9390XDC28GD5/

Would you know why though? Would it have something to do with the way the card is built only being able to have digital connectors and no analogue? Because having a dvi-i port is infinitly better to the consumer, and is idiot proof for well............. apparently me........

Would you know why though? Would it have something to do with the way the card is built only being able to have digital connectors and no analogue? Because having a dvi-i port is infinitly better to the consumer, and is idiot proof for well............. apparently me........

Like I said, I think it's more to do with the idea of DVI to VGA adapters becoming less popular in favor of HDMI and DP. AMD and other companies may be just trying to phase out DVI.

Personally l can relate to the OP's frustration.

The issue is not the DVI standard, however, but AMD's decision to drop VGA support from Hawaii and on. I think it's ridiculous and I said as much to them at that event in Hawaii.

That's why all NVIDIA cards still include at least one DVI-I port - because the cards support VGA.

It might not be the case for many people, but I run into situations VERY regularly still where a VGA port would be handy to have.

Edit: And to everyone shitting on the OP for not knowing that DVI-I vs DVI-D was even a thing, shame on you. It's not like they look dramatically different, and DVI-D hardly existed before the last couple of years on output devices. It was basically only used on input devices.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Typo corrections.

[removed]

I would argue that you should be doing proper research before making any purchasing decisions. Indeed the DVI revisions can be hard to tell apart for someone who is not used to them, but if they do notice differences in the DVI name, they should question it and do research before going through with the purchase.

I would argue that you should be doing proper research before making any purchasing decisions. Indeed the DVI revisions can be hard to tell apart for someone who is not used to them, but if they do notice differences in the DVI name, they should question it and do research before going through with the purchase.

The issue really is that it's not obvious any research needs to be done. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people say "DVI is compatible with VGA". After hearing the generalized statement so many times most people don't even realize all the nuances are there. It's only in hindsight that it seems obvious (as always).

OP, you can still use an inexpensive DP-to-VGA adapter which will work fine, even without native VGA support. I have tested one with a 290 before.

Personally l can relate to the OP's frustration.

The issue is not the DVI standard, however, but AMD's decision to drop VGA support from Hawaii and on. I think it's ridiculous and I said as much to them at that event in Hawaii.

That's why all NVIDIA cards still include at least one DVI-I port - because the cards support VGA.

It might not be the case for many people, but I run into situations VERY regularly still where a VGA port would be handy to have.

Edit: And to everyone shitting on the OP for not knowing that DVI-I vs DVI-D was even a thing, shame on you. It's not like they look dramatically different, and DVI-D hardly existed before the last couple of years on output devices. It was basically only used on input devices.

So, linus, since you actually know probally more about dispalyport than most and actually talked to amd, would a displayport adapter work or not? and would it have to be active or passive?

And hey, thanks for being awesome and looking out for your members.

The issue really is that it's not obvious any research needs to be done. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people say "DVI is compatible with VGA". After hearing the generalized statement so many times most people don't even realize all the nuances are there. It's only in hindsight that it seems obvious (as always).

OP, you can still use an inexpensive DP-to-VGA adapter which will work fine, even without native VGA support. I have tested one with a 290 before

thanks, was it a passive or active adapter?

thanks, was it a passive or active adapter?

It's an adapter. It's not a signal converter if that's what you mean, there's no processing needed, so it's closer to what you'd call a "passive adapter". But those terms don't really fit here since there is a DAC inside the cable. But anyway...

It was this one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM3GF76

But any of them will work just as well.

It's an adapter. It's not a signal converter if that's what you mean, there's no processing needed, so it's closer to what you'd call a "passive adapter". But those terms don't really fit here since there is a DAC inside the cable. But anyway...

It was this one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM3GF76

But any of them will work just as well.

well, lets hope the NEW like that one I ordered off monoprice works....