Replacing my desktop after 10 years

K0r3An Mate

After 10 years in service, I will be replacing my HP pavillion a1600n with a amd athlon II X2 3800+ cpu and a amd 5450 graphics card. This time I will be building my own computer because none of the pre-built ones seem right to me ( no ssd, markup, gpu). As I will be replacing this computer in another 10 years, I need the cpu to be as strong as possible and since I game only once in while I will be using the igpu until Pascal or the next amd architecture comes out. I am mostly going to be using this computer for studies and like I said some gaming. my budget is about 700-750$ cad not including tax. Also I will be using a power supply I already have.

Here is something I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vWJcf

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($283.48 @ NCIX) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($146.97 @ NCIX) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.22 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($100.47 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.98 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($27.97 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $738.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 11:28 EST-0500

Anything I should change?

You might want the Sandisk UltraStar 2, because it is a 480GB SSD at $110.  (USA)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

i think LGA 1150 socket CPU would be better, and maybe cheaper. not a whole big difference but if your overclocking it maybe would be better with skylake.  just a suggestion

and get a K processor (like 6700k) if you are planning to overclock.

edit1: btw i see nothing wrong. and looks ok for me

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

nothing wrong with that but you might want to get dedicated grafics in the future :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you want it to use for 10 years try pushing it to to 6600k, OC'ing will come in handy at least after few years down the line. I feel that 8GB won't be enough after 5 years.
PSU you already have? I hope it' not the one from last machine.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

You might want the Sandisk UltraStar 2, because it is a 480GB SSD at $110.  (USA)

I wouldn't.  The 850 EVO is relatively cheap right now, and one of the most reliable drives you can buy.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

After 10 years in service, I will be replacing my HP pavillion a1600n with a amd athlon II X2 3800+ cpu and a amd 5450 graphics card. This time I will be building my own computer because none of the pre-built ones seem right to me ( no ssd, markup, gpu). As I will be replacing this computer in another 10 years, I need the cpu to be as strong as possible and since I game only once in while I will be using the igpu until Pascal or the next amd architecture comes out. I am mostly going to be using this computer for studies and like I said some gaming. my budget is about 700-750$ cad not including tax. Also I will be using a power supply I already have.

Here is something I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vWJcf

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($283.48 @ NCIX) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($146.97 @ NCIX) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.22 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($100.47 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.98 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($27.97 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $738.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 11:28 EST-0500

Anything I should change?

I certainly hope the PSU that you already have isn't from that 10 year old system that's being replaced. If that's your plan then it's a super bad plan.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

If you want it to use for 10 years try pushing it to to 6600k, OC'ing will come in handy at least after few years down the line. I feel that 8GB won't be enough after 5 years.

PSU you already have? I hope it' not the one from last machine.

I certainly hope the PSU that you already have isn't from that 10 year old system that's being replaced. If that's your plan then it's a super bad plan.

The PSU that came with the last machine died last year  :D and I replaced it with a Thermaltake 550W bronze power supply. I'm going to be using that one for the build.

I wouldn't.  The 850 EVO is relatively cheap right now, and one of the most reliable drives you can buy.

What AnnoyedShelf said. And I'm on a tight budget so I can't really afford to go any higher.