Gigabyte G1 980Ti Coil Whine

matto97

I noticed today that my card has it slightly and i was wondering if it effect the card its self, if it doesn't its no big problem as with the case closed its impossible to hear but if it does effect it should i take it back and get it replaced?

Edit- I believe it has like a 3 year warranty or something so no big rush to take it back i dont think.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Coil whine is just a nuisance; nothing to be worried about.

Try moving your card to another slot on your mobo, that mitigated the whine on my EVGA 980 Ti.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Coil whine is just a nuisance; nothing to be worried about.

Try moving your card to another slot on your mobo, that mitigated the whine on my EVGA 980 Ti.

Theres my next problem xD i cant press the little clip thing on the PCI slot as my cars up against my CPU Cooler and to get my CPU cooler off i need to take the GPU out to ge to the mounts........ how would i take it out then as the clip thing is hidden under the card :/

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

No, it doesn't affect anything. It's just a thing that happens, more often when you are pushing out really high framerates.

Only time I have had coil whine with my G1 980tis is during benchmarking (at like 200fps+ haha.)

Only time I have had coil whine with my G1 980tis is during benchmarking (at like 200fps+ haha.)

Yeah i only happened to notice it as i was playing Space Engineers and was on the menu screen pushing 4,000FPS some how and i had my case open to quickly dust the filters... usually have Vsync on but was in window mode so didnt 

Never happens to me anymore cos I set an FPS cap of 200 system wide using the various GPU programs, eg: MSI Afterburner.

Only when pushing many hundred/thousand FPS does it happen to me, so now its limited to 200fps, its 100% gone.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Never happens to me anymore cos I set an FPS cap of 200 system wide using the various GPU programs, eg: MSI Afterburner.

Only when pushing many hundred/thousand FPS does it happen to me, so now its limited to 200fps, its 100% gone.

Might set my sistem to 120 then as my screens only output 60