Single GPU or Multi GPU for 3 Monitor Setup?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here, but I am not new to linustechtips... 

To start off, I am using an intel i7 3770, with a xfx radeon 6870 (ik lol) , and 8Gb of 1333 Mhz Ram (2x4gb)

I currently am using one 1680x1050 monitor, and in the future I am wanting to play racing games like dirt 3, grid, the crew, etc with 3 monitors. 

I am most likely picking up a logitech g27... I am just wondering if I should stay with a single card solution (gtx 970 or r9 290)

if I want to play with 3 monitors, or do something else like two gtx 670's or even 6870's in sli/xfire? I know it would be a better option to go 

with a 980 ti, or 980 or something, but I just dont have the money for those types of cards. I will want to play 60 fps on high, if possible, maximum details. 

NOTE: 

I am using 1 Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 2MS monitor currently. Which only has D-Sub and DVI-D... Does only having these types of connections limit my 

ability to have a 3 monitor surround option for games? Thanks

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here, but I am not new to linustechtips... 

To start off, I am using an intel i7 3770, with a xfx radeon 6870 (ik lol) , and 8Gb of 1333 Mhz Ram (2x4gb)

I currently am using one 1680x1050 monitor, and in the future I am wanting to play racing games like dirt 3, grid, the crew, etc with 3 monitors. 

I am most likely picking up a logitech g27... I am just wondering if I should stay with a single card solution (gtx 970 or r9 290)

if I want to play with 3 monitors, or do something else like two gtx 670's or even 6870's in sli/xfire? I know it would be a better option to go 

with a 980 ti, or 980 or something, but I just dont have the money for those types of cards. I will want to play 60 fps on high, if possible, maximum details. 

NOTE: 

I am using 1 Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 2MS monitor currently. Which only has D-Sub and DVI-D... Does only having these types of connections limit my 

ability to have a 3 monitor surround option for games? Thanks

1 powerful gpu over many weaker gpus

I don't actually give useful information, hopefully I just  say something funny.

Only go for multi-GPU if you are already using the most powerful card you can get. So basically if you wouldn't be using multiple R9 Fury or FuryX, or GTX 980 / 980ti, go single card.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I understand that, but wouldnt that limit my frames across three monitors compared to one? I heard that even though there are 3 monitors, the gpu is only rendering the resolution of 2 displays, because the " outside half of the outside monitors are just stretched images" ... I am not sure if that is true or if it is not, I would greatly appreciate help on that area. thanks

Just as a FYI, if you run two GPU's in crossfire/SLI your second GPU's outputs gets disabled, so whatever GPU you buy first make sure it has all the necessary outputs you want/need. Just wanted to clarify that.

Oh also check the Widescreen Gaming Forum's "Master Game List" to see how many of your games, or the games you want to play in a triple monitor setup actually support it: http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

Moved to Graphics Cards. Please ensure you're posting in the proper sub-forum in the future.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just as a FYI, if you run two GPU's in crossfire/SLI your second GPU's outputs gets disabled, so whatever GPU you buy first make sure it has all the necessary outputs you want/need. Just wanted to clarify that.

Oh also check the Widescreen Gaming Forum's "Master Game List" to see how many of your games, or the games you want to play in a triple monitor setup actually support it: http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think I am going to try to sell my 6870 then pick up a 7970/r9 280x or r9 290 with the correct amount of output's to run eyefinity. thanks!

thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think I am going to try to sell my 6870 then pick up a 7970/r9 280x or r9 290 with the correct amount of output's to run eyefinity. thanks!

Hey, just an FYI, November (right about now) is one of the best times to get nee gear with all of the deals and sales and whatnot. I just picked up a Power Color R9 380 4GB for 179.99, so, if you have got the cash you might want to buy now instead of later. 

My PC
Spoiler

Starry Night:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus | RAM: 32 GB GSkill DDR4 2133 MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition | Case: NZXT H440 | Storage: Crucial MX300 M.2 | PSU: Corsair RMx 750 | Display(s): Dell S2417DG 2560X1440, Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH) | Cooling: NXZT Kraken x61 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Mouse: Logitech M500 | Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500 | Operating System: Windows 10

Tyrosine:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale"   Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L   RAM: 4 GB DDR2 400 MHz   GPU Power Color R9 380 4GB   Case: Antec with Blue light and over 9000 fans, and 9000 lbs   Storage: Samsung Evo 850 + 600 GB HDD   PSU: Corsair VX 550 W   Display(s): Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH)   Cooling: Did I mention the case?   Keyboard: Logitech K350   Mouse: Logitech M500   Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500  Operating System: Windows 7 on Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on Laptop and everything else

Kids, do drugs, the science way! Note:

Spoiler

I am involved in computational medicinal chemistry research and am interested in pharmaceuticals as a researcher, in no way do I endorse the taking of the drugs. Never.

I understand that, but wouldnt that limit my frames across three monitors compared to one? I heard that even though there are 3 monitors, the gpu is only rendering the resolution of 2 displays, because the " outside half of the outside monitors are just stretched images" ... I am not sure if that is true or if it is not, I would greatly appreciate help on that area. thanks

Thats more game dependent. Battlefield has horrible stretching, and so does skyrim. But games like warthunder just looks gorgeous with no major stretching.

That said, my setup is 3 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors in portrait.

Thats more game dependent. Battlefield has horrible stretching, and so does skyrim. But games like warthunder just looks gorgeous with no major stretching.

That said, my setup is 3 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors in portrait.

I am buying a msi gtx 670 oc edition for $100 usd today with a accelero twin turbo ii cooler installed. it has 2 dvi outputs, 1 hdmi, and one displayport. My monitors only support vga and dvi, so to run 3 monitors, i will either have to use the hdmi or displayport out to one of my three monitors. I have ordered a cheap displayport to dvi adapter, and I am wondering if I will be able to run surround with that adapter. I dont think it is passive or whatever you call it. 

I would be more inclined to pick up a secondhand R9 290(X) or something, and then when you have the funds and the capability, buy a second and chuck it in Xfire. Then a triple panel setup will be no problem.

I would focus on getting a decent, single 1080p panel first.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I would be more inclined to pick up a secondhand R9 290(X) or something, and then when you have the funds and the capability, buy a second and chuck it in Xfire. Then a triple panel setup will be no problem.

I would focus on getting a decent, single 1080p panel first.

I want to do that, but dirt 3 and similar racing games are the only games I am going to be running with 3 monitors, and I dont have much funds right now, I dont mind playing on lower settings as long as I have 60 fps. From what i have read, the gtx 670 will run dirt 3 above 60 fps at all times with maxed settings at 5760 x 1080... since i am using lesser resolution with that I will have no problem. I do understand that a newer used card would be a better option, but I also dont want to upgrade my power supply :/

I want to do that, but dirt 3 and similar racing games are the only games I am going to be running with 3 monitors, and I dont have much funds right now, I dont mind playing on lower settings as long as I have 60 fps. From what i have read, the gtx 670 will run dirt 3 above 60 fps at all times with maxed settings at 5760 x 1080... since i am using lesser resolution with that I will have no problem. I do understand that a newer used card would be a better option, but I also dont want to upgrade my power supply :/

You should probably manage your expectations in this case. Trying to run 3 monitors off a single card isn't going to end well - it's only 25% fewer pixels than 4K. Stick to a good, single 1080p monitor, its your best option.

Also, check out DiRT Rally, it's an awesome game. Definitely recommend using a steering wheel, though, makes it a much better experience.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

For dirt 3, a single gpu is more than enough. I can run it at 7680x1440 on my r9 290 with almost everything maxed (that's surround 1440p btw). The others will still run just fine, just not maxed.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*