What would be the best Cherry MX switch for someone coming from a laptop keyboard?

PlayStation 2

Title. I don't really care for absolute down to the nail specifics but be a bit specific. Also, could you recommend a keyboard that'd be suited best for me?

Well the best thing is go to a store that carries a variety of desktop keyboards and see which ones you feel comfortable using.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Probably a chiclet keyboard.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Well the best thing is go to a store that carries a variety of desktop keyboards and see which ones you feel comfortable using.

Considering where I live (Huntsville, AL) probably not an option.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Probably a membrane with low-profile keycaps

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

i went from my laptop to my cherry mx reds on my k70, i like it and hate having to go back to my keyboard on my laptop :P it takes a bit of getting used to and you most likely wont like it at first but once you get used to mechanical its hard to go back

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

any switch without clicks and a short travel time.  Tactile bump is definitely a plus (cherry MX browns are as close to laptop keyboard as you can get IMO)

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I'd say MX Brown. Don't get Blue unless you can test the sound and are fine with it.

I'm probably going to sell my K70 Blue and get Red. That'd be another option for you.

Red has more resistance, Brown is easier to compress.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well if you want something as similar to a laptop as possible shelling out money on a mechanical keyboard isn't the best thing you can do. In that case you'd be better off with any old cheap keyboard. Personally I really like the Cherry ones (They don't only make mechanical switches, after all), but there are other good ones out there that I haven't tried so I wouldn't know. 

MX Reds are ostensibly for gaming where double-tapping can be done really fast. MX Browns have a tactile bump to let you know whereabouts the actuation point is. Due to the mechanical design while close this is approximate. Blues have an extra piece that gives the tactile feedback exactly when the switch is triggered as well as producing an audible click in the process. I like those best. I'm going to offend a lot of people by saying this but Reds and Browns aren't special enough to justify the extra cost.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

if you like the tactile feel id go with Logitech romer g's (so a Logitech or CM nova touch) me personally when I switched from a laptop to desktop I really wanted romer g's but also wanted a 60% size keyboard (which if you like your laptops layout and space is a factor might be a good way to go) and there are no 60% keyboards with romer G's (that I could find) so I went for mx black switches and had almost no learning curve when getting used to them but it was a tough decision between mx blacks and whites

so long story short I would suggest romer g's but if you cant find any thing you like with them I'd go MX Black or White