Linus dual-CPU photo

I am trying to build super-budget PC, but I dont have te resources to test out builds. So I ask our great LTT community for help.

INTEL S5000XVN2 // 50 USD
2 x Intel Xeon E5440 Quad Core 2.83GHZ // 50 USD
16 GB of DDR2 RAM // 50 USD
Generic 600W PSU // SilverPower SP-600A2C 600W
R9 280x
1 TB HDD

Is that good enough for Witcher3/Ultra settings/60+ fps?

Right now i have a :
AMD athlon II x4 620 + r9 280x - running Witcher3 High/Ultra with hairworks - avg 35 fps.

Considering I have that PSU and a GPU... I would need a case to mount that MOBO so + ~50 USD..
This means 200 USD for upgrade to that system... Is it worth it? Or is there any better options?

I don't think a 280x is enough to drive Witcher 3 at ultra-60 fps with any cpu.

I think this would be a better choice overall then going with the dual-server cpu option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $149.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 14:50 EST-0500

don't use a xeon for gaming, let alone 2 of them, dont use unreliable power supplies, and DDR2 is super outdated. also, you should be using pcpartpicker because i dont even think these parts are compatible.

It's fine to use a Xeon for gaming, plenty of people do :P 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

just don't use xeons for gaming for the love of god. just get an i5 or something if you are on a budget

I love this :D 100 bucks for 16gb and 2 quad-core cpu's with a decent speed is a really good deal.

All the haters, i challenge you, find an i5 with 16gb ram with a budget of 100 bucks, tip: you won't.

Even if the cpu perform worse, the 16GB is just unbeatable :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I love this :D 100 bucks for 16gb and 2 quad-core cpu's with a decent speed is a really good deal.

All the haters, i challenge you, find an i5 with 16gb ram with a budget of 100 bucks, tip: you won't.

Even if the cpu perform worse, the 16GB is just unbeatable :D

It is a great deal, but the point being it's ddr2, regardless. The cpu isn't that bad I just overall would not recommend that you game on xeons.

don't use a xeon for gaming, let alone 2 of them, dont use unreliable power supplies, and DDR2 is super outdated. also, you should be using pcpartpicker because i dont even think these parts are compatible.

wait till next week. and part 2 next week on vessel Kappa

nahj for real. ddr2 is still relevent. im using it for my new old flight simulator X machine

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It is a great deal, but the point being it's ddr2, regardless. The cpu isn't that bad I just overall would not recommend that you game on xeons.

ddr2 is fine! It's still ok even today.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Dual 5440s is about as powerful as a 4690k (in cinebench) and as powerful as an i7-3960x (in cpuz bench)

Single thread is down in comparison...

If you have a 5400 chipset its possible to BSEL1 mod the chips for a 25% overclock.

There is NO WAY a $60 amd cpu is going to come close to the power of a pair of xeons

The real question is:

Are you at 100% gpu usage or 100% cpu usage?

Whatever is at 100% is what needs replacing.

If its neither then it's your cpu.

I have a dual e5430 xeon rig. Running at 3.2ghz. Happy to put tw3 on it (it only has a gtx660 tho so it might not be that useful)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Dual cpu builds; especially core2 based, will not yield the results you're looking for.

For fun? Yeah those prices are great. But for a serious primary gaming PC? No. You're better saving your money and getting an i5 4460 or newer.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

ddr2 is fine! It's still ok even today.

ddr2 isn't fine! it's outdated, so much slower and will be the biggest bottleneck in the build

ddr2 isn't fine! it's outdated, so much slower and will be the biggest bottleneck in the build

Lol, you've never gamed with a stock Xeon X5450, GTX 970 and 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz. Xeons are best run at around 3.5GHz (preferably higher) and can handle any modern game on their own, let alone when you have 2 of them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

X5450 has a bit higher IPC than FX8 :D, and DDR2 is still usable, but not optimal.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

I am trying to build super-budget PC, but I dont have te resources to test out builds. So I ask our great LTT community for help.

INTEL S5000XVN2 // 50 USD

2 x Intel Xeon E5440 Quad Core 2.83GHZ // 50 USD

16 GB of DDR2 RAM // 50 USD

Generic 600W PSU // SilverPower SP-600A2C 600W

R9 280x

1 TB HDD

Is that good enough for Witcher3/Ultra settings/60+ fps?

Right now i have a :
AMD athlon II x4 620 + r9 280x - running Witcher3 High/Ultra with hairworks - avg 35 fps.

Considering I have that PSU and a GPU... I would need a case to mount that MOBO so + ~50 USD..

This means 200 USD for upgrade to that system... Is it worth it? Or is there any better options?

Singlethreaded that setup is better than an FX 8350 (with the BSEL mod), multithreaded (with the BESL mod) its better than an FX 8350. And at $50 for both CPU you literally can't get a better deal.

PMSL

At the end of the day, if you can get that price for said items, get them. If you can wait longer and get better stuff, wait. At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with all of that stuff and you will be able to game on them, unsure though at what fps you would get

I thank everyone who has answered so far! But it looks mostly like words only.... Does anyone actually have a system like that or similar built?

I saw that Linus talked about something similar on the WAN show... So i guess i need to register a vessel account.

you havent watched Linus' video have you?

Singlethreaded that setup is better than an FX 8350 (with the BSEL mod), multithreaded (with the BESL mod) its better than an FX 8350. And at $50 for both CPU you literally can't get a better deal.

ehm...

https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks

search for Xeon E5440 and FX 8350...

to make it quick:

E5440 32bit Single thread: 1494

E5440 32bit multi thread: 5154

E5440 64bit single thread: 0 (does not have 64 bit?)

E5440 64bit  multi thread: 0 (does not have 64bit?)

FX 8350 32bit single thread: 2123

FX 8350 32bit multi thread: 10945

FX 8350 64bit single thread: 2420

FX 8350 64bit multi thread: 12163

Dab, i know you hate FX... but the E5440 is on a older process node (45nm), clocked lower. not possible to overclock more then a tiny tiny bit (master bus clock) and well... MEH!!!

just for once, stop spreading shit and GET REAL!!!

not all intel is better then FX...

DDR3 > DDR2 without even being a discussion

passmark:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

FX-8350: 8989

Xeon E5440 : 4024

I thank everyone who has answered so far! But it looks mostly like words only.... Does anyone actually have a system like that or similar built?

I have a similar build with 2x Pentium III EB1000, which luckily for me have 2GB of matched SDRAM. As for system like it, my single Xeon X5450 at stock while definitely struggling a bit in games that heavily load 1 core, stops struggling at 3.5-3.6GHz and runs any modern game that utilises all 4 threads (with 2 Xeon being even better due to the trend for games to use 8 threads if possible.

Also, this might be useful to demonstrate the performance of a Xeon over the standard Core 2 Quad equivalent (just look at the results): http://www.stenyak.com/archives/1269/hacking-the-lga-775-socket/

PMSL

I have a similar build with 2x Pentium III EB1000, which luckily for me have 2GB of matched SDRAM. As for system like it, my single Xeon X5450 at stock while definitely struggling a bit in games that heavily load 1 core, stops struggling at 3.5-3.6GHz and runs any modern game that utilises all 4 threads (with 2 Xeon being even better due to the trend for games to use 8 threads if possible.

Also, this might be useful to demonstrate the performance of a Xeon over the standard Core 2 Quad equivalent (just look at the results): http://www.stenyak.com/archives/1269/hacking-the-lga-775-socket/

your own X5450 seems to be just a few % better then the one OP was talkin about....

you havent watched Linus' video have you?

ehm...

https://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks

search for Xeon E5440 and FX 8350...

to make it quick:

E5440 32bit Single thread: 1494

E5440 32bit multi thread: 5154

E5440 64bit single thread: 0 (does not have 64 bit?)

E5440 64bit  multi thread: 0 (does not have 64bit?)

FX 8350 32bit single thread: 2123

FX 8350 32bit multi thread: 10945

FX 8350 64bit single thread: 2420

FX 8350 64bit multi thread: 12163

Dab, i know you hate FX... but the E5440 is on a older process node (45nm), clocked lower. not possible to overclock more then a tiny tiny bit (master bus clock) and well... MEH!!!

just for once, stop spreading shit and GET REAL!!!

not all intel is better then FX...

DDR3 > DDR2 without even being a discussion

1. Fact check: http://ark.intel.com/products/33082/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5440-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

2. Clock for clock a Xeon is better, plus with 2 of them you have 8 total processing cores, not 4 modules with 8 integer units/ALU

3. Cinebench thread, which has actual evidence to prove the result

4. DDR2 is still just fine in all bar 1 game.

5. Note I said in brackets like this: (with the BSEL mod)

PMSL

your own X5450 seems to be just a few % better then the one OP was talkin about....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1

Search "X5450"

PMSL

1. Fact check: http://ark.intel.com/products/33082/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5440-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

2. Clock for clock a Xeon is better, plus with 2 of them you have 8 total processing cores, not 4 modules with 8 integer units/ALU

3. Cinebench thread, which has actual evidence to prove the result

4. DDR2 is still just fine in all bar 1 game.

5. Note I said in brackets like this: (with the BSEL mod)

1 your fast check only shows of Intels web page. It shows NOTHING about performance. AT ALL

2 proof please? It is a even older then FX. yes OLDER THEN FX, architecture.... Two of them is merely similar in performance to ONE FX

3 our own cinebench threads conclude that a E5430 (closest i could find) running at 3.8GHz is slightly slower then a stock 3.5GHz FX 8320

4 as if

5 so if i mod my game, a inferior piece of hardware is suddenly relevant? But lets all buy Pentium Ks then and just mod the games to accept dual cores. Because its intel, and if i mod the game its OK.

Addendum:

@Cheddle

posted a Cinebench R15 run with 2x 5430s running at 3.1GHz...

his scores were 630 multi thread, 73 single thread...

that is the BEST you get from that gen of Xeons...

@Bubblewhale

posted a cinebech R15 run with a FX 8320 @ 4.013GHz (basically FX 8350 without turbo)...

his scores were 622 multi and 94 single

are we going to keep up with this fallacy?

you are talking bullshit, and oyu know it. And i will continue to call you out on the bullshit until you admitt that JUST BECAUSE ITS CMT, DOESNT MEAN IT CANNOT BE BETTER THEN SOMETHING ELSE!

1 your fast check only shows of Intels web page. It shows NOTHING about performance. AT ALL

2 proof please? It is a even older then FX. yes OLDER THEN FX, architecture.... Two of them is merely similar in performance to ONE FX

3 our own cinebench threads conclude that a E5430 (closest i could find) running at 3.8GHz is slightly slower then a stock 3.5GHz FX 8320

4 as if

5 so if i mod my game, a inferior piece of hardware is suddenly relevant? But lets all buy Pentium Ks then and just mod the games to accept dual cores. Because its intel, and if i mod the game its OK.

Addendum:

@Cheddle

posted a Cinebench R15 run with 2x 5430s running at 3.1GHz...

his scores were 630 multi thread, 73 single thread...

that is the BEST you get from that gen of Xeons...

@Bubblewhale

posted a cinebech R15 run with a FX 8320 @ 4.013GHz (basically FX 8350 without turbo)...

his scores were 622 multi and 94 single

are we going to keep up with this fallacy?

you are talking bullshit, and oyu know it. And i will continue to call you out on the bullshit until you admitt that JUST BECAUSE ITS CMT, DOESNT MEAN IT CANNOT BE BETTER THEN SOMETHING ELSE!

See my Xeon X5450 at over 4GHz-cinebench thread

Everything in the Core 2 range (and newer) is 64bit

I've used DDR2 800 in games-it is fine

Its just a single piece of sticky tape over a single contact-that's it. Not hard to screw up unlike the LGA775-771 socket mod.

CMT is better than Netburst, so of course it can be better than something else. Oh and K10 at 45nm(let alone the 32nm variants) also has a higher IPC.

PMSL